Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Escalation Titan [GZDoom, 6 maps]

Curiously, I don't think I've seen any rejections on /idgames regarding ETITAN.zip either. At least not in recent history and nothing on the @idgames_txt bot either. But then I can't think why he'd be only referring to the forums and not /idgames?

Open the wad in Slade. Inside the wad, he has three entries which are other wads: Equinox, Suspended in Dusk, and TNT.wad. That's about 80% of the wad's almost 40Mb size. I'm guessing TNT.wad is the reason it was rejected.

It is a simple thing to just delete those 3 lumps: TNT, SID and EQUINOX.

A more serious problem is the mislabeled PNAMES as a map marker, which should be renamed to MAP07.

ZZU26L7.png

This, ofc, necessitates to generate a proper TEXTURE1 and PNAMES lump.

The maps will tax one's patience with a certain amount of running around and wall humping, but overall, once one reaches the aha, so that is how this works, stage, they are quite fun to play.

Shame, the maps are quite well done and the music is pretty good, too. The only downside is really low difficulty, but it was actually a refreshing change among the current "monsters teleport right behind your back" and "half the monsters are archviles" mapsets.

Linguica, do you plan to contact the author and explain what the problem is?

To clarify; I tried submitting my maps and I couldn't get it to work, for one reason or another. I'm new to making maps so I don't have much knowledge in this field, so I tried to contact someone to help me out and I haven't had any luck. My maps weren't "rejected" or anything, I just can't figure it out. The stuff about TNT, PNAMES and all that is completely lost on me. I believe that PNAMES used to be my MAP 7 (picture shown), but then I thought I got rid of it, but I guess it's still there. I don't know, I just like drawing maps and and designing them. I'm not very good at the game or the more technical side I guess. Thanks for your input everyone. I'll see if I can learn how to fix the problems and maybe add some more enemies

It's about internal WAD file structure. It's actually rather complicated, but you can think of it as an archive (ZIP, RAR, whatever) that contains other files. Except in a WAD, they're called lumps. If you open your WAD in Slade3, you will see all the lumps in left column list. If you sort it by size, you will find that TNT, SID and EQUINOX lumps as the biggest ones. But these are not just ordinary lumps (textures, music, whatever), these are entire megawads made by other people, and TNT is a commercial one. That's why your WAD gets rejected. I have no idea how you managed to include those 3 megawads in the first place, but you need to delete them. Your WAD file size will drop to about 8 MB afterwards.

Read this if you want to learn more about WAD file structure and various lump formats:

https://zdoom.org/wiki/WAD

https://zdoom.org/wiki/WAD_structure

On vendredi 13 décembre 2019 at 4:28 AM, GrahfMetal said:

I believe that PNAMES used to be my MAP 7 (picture shown), but then I thought I got rid of it, but I guess it's still there.

PNAMES is a regular PNAMES lump, however when you deleted your MAP07, you only deleted the map header. So now the previous lump serves as its map header. Since some ports allow maps to have any arbitrary names, SLADE identifies map headers by the fact they are followed by THINGS, LINEDEFS, etc. lumps.

(The game doesn't actually care about the content of the map header, it's there just to disambiguate the following THINGS, LINEDEFS, etc. lumps. All maps have the same names for their data lumps so the game needs a unique marker to distinguish them somehow.)

Awesome! I downloaded SLADE and removed TNT, Equinox, SID and PNAMES and romoved the new Super Shotgun sound. So everything SHOULD be good to go and my WAD should be normal. Thanks a lot for the advise everyone

10 hours ago, GrahfMetal said:

I downloaded SLADE and removed [...] PNAMES

It's not PNAMES that had to be removed, it's the map lump coming after it... You may have broken your custom textures.

23 minutes ago, Gez said:

It's not PNAMES that had to be removed, it's the map lump coming after it... You may have broken your custom textures.

Custom textures seem to all be intact

7 hours ago, Death Egg said:

Download a previous version and copy paste it from that WAD your current one.

Sweet, that worked. Thanks!

I can't start the current version as GZDoom reports:

Bad PNAMES and/or texture directory:

PNAMES has 469 entries, but
TITLEPIC wants to use entry 470.

I have to copy PNAMES lump from the previous download and create a MAP07 map marker in SLADE.

I have a version that works perfect and has ALL of the problems fixed addressed in this thread, but I don't have a site to upload it to, sadly

12 minutes ago, GrahfMetal said:

I have a version that works perfect and has ALL of the problems fixed addressed in this thread, but I don't have a site to upload it to, sadly

make a dropbox account! dropbox is free, ad-free unlike mediafire, and gives you the ability for people to download a file directly without having to actually open a separate page

Got a link to the final fixed version handy yet @GrahfMetal? Been interested in playing this, but there seem to be a few different downloads out there -- one zip which is about 11MB (from here: http://www.doomwadstation.net/2016/Etitan/ ) and loads in GZDoom, but has some missing custom textures, and seems to be outdated since it's missing other details as well like the messaging on the floor at the start. The other is 1.9MB, but gives me the same error NovaRain got. Seems to be the one posted in this thread and here: decino.nl/doom/ETITAN.zip

I did play through the first level of the 11MB version and enjoyed it, so I'll definitely go through the rest once I know I have the right version installed!

On 2/4/2020 at 10:10 PM, Buff Skeleton said:

Got a link to the final fixed version handy yet @GrahfMetal? Been interested in playing this, but there seem to be a few different downloads out there -- one zip which is about 11MB (from here: http://www.doomwadstation.net/2016/Etitan/ ) and loads in GZDoom, but has some missing custom textures, and seems to be outdated since it's missing other details as well like the messaging on the floor at the start. The other is 1.9MB, but gives me the same error NovaRain got. Seems to be the one posted in this thread and here: decino.nl/doom/ETITAN.zip

I did play through the first level of the 11MB version and enjoyed it, so I'll definitely go through the rest once I know I have the right version installed!

Oh yeah, sorry. Here's the latest uploads:

https://doomshack.org/uploads/ I uploaded it at [2020-01-31 16:12]. I didn't know how to link directly to it. As you probably already could tell, I don't know computers, I just like designing things and DOOM maps looked like a fun thing to try making

~or~

http://www.theultimatedoom.com/wads/list under ETITAN.wad

Let me know if there's still issues. I hope everything works well this time around

On that note; does anybody here know where it's possible to get advice on Ulta-Violence enemy numbers and ammo amount? I only set a single difficulty in enemies cause I don't usually play action games on hard (due to limited function in my hands), so I don't really know how many enemies to put and what type. I made ETitan rather easy so I could play it/test it properly. I would like to add a UV difficulty to these maps, so the seasoned DOOM veterans will at least get something out of my levels.

Thank you

I've completed adding UV difficulty to Escalation Titan and I also commissions James Paddock to do an OST. He's completed all but one track so far and when he's complete and I've finished tweaking a few things I'll upload it :D

This wad, as I understand it, is for limit-removing ports but tested only with GZDoom?

4 minutes ago, dmslr said:

This wad, as I understand it, is for limit-removing ports but tested only with GZDoom?

Correct

I tried the fixed version on UV in GZdoom 4.4.2 and it's still pretty easy, although not I-could-play-this-blindfolded-easy as the first version. There is great abundance of ammo, I didn't have to use melee weapons at all. I had full shells and bullets by MAP03, full cells by MAP05 start and practically BFG'd through whole MAP06. I noticed some minor problems in MAP03: linedefs 761 etc. shouldn't block monsters and fatso 384 is stuck. I noticed oddly placed monster-blocking lines in several other maps too, but it's hard to tell if they were intentional or nor.

1 hour ago, Caleb13 said:

I tried the fixed version on UV in GZdoom 4.4.2 and it's still pretty easy, although not I-could-play-this-blindfolded-easy as the first version. There is great abundance of ammo, I didn't have to use melee weapons at all. I had full shells and bullets by MAP03, full cells by MAP05 start and practically BFG'd through whole MAP06. I noticed some minor problems in MAP03: linedefs 761 etc. shouldn't block monsters and fatso 384 is stuck. I noticed oddly placed monster-blocking lines in several other maps too, but it's hard to tell if they were intentional or nor.

Okay, sorry about that. I'll visit this WAD again sometime in the future and try something else. I'm just about ready to give up on it