Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Not Jabba

Cacowards 2020 Mentionation Thread

I just finished these two wads last week and I had a blast beating them. In no particular order

+ Running late 2 - Action packed with some lite slaughter here and there and awsome map layouts. The story is also unique and funny.

+ 1000 Lines CP2 - Great map/theme variety and great usage of otex textures ( you can tell this is not eviternity). The maps are short and sweet so you can probably beat it in a couple of hours.

Overall pretty good stuff, I still need to finish 3 is a crowd but im pretty sure im going to nominate it as well since its a very unique experiance to say the least ( I mean in a good way of course)

+Bastion of Chaos by Bridgeburner - Monumental architecture and well-balanced slaughter.

Edited by Captain Caleb

+++DBP26 (supercedes any previous DBP nominations I've done as best one this year so far. Honestly I'd have to think at least two DBP's should feature in the Top 20 this time around)

Edited by FrancisT18

Can agree with that too, I found the DBP surprisingly consistent and getting progressively better with each installment, with the only exception of maybe Biotech, I personally wasn't so impressed with it.

But the rest are very good.

I have a few mods for this topic ..

-Shrine 2 

-Hellrider 

-Ascension 

-Eoa eternal

-DoomVSDuke 

-Painkiller by technoir and the other one if it gets ready from capt Nash 

-guzz ace of the ass 

-hearts of demons REVENANT 

More to come ...

I vote for doom -1

it is a never seen before concept that deserves recognition plus the levels themselves are not bad either

of course I might be biased as I have contributed to the project

I have been thoroughly-impressed with both Shrine 2 and DBP26: The City of Damned Children. Both have amazing and singular atmospheres and interesting aesthetics.

Redemption of the Slain, by TheCastle. Yes, the same one behind half of NRftL. Originally released in 2017 with Brutt in mind, and not really enough ammo to get through an early part with vanilla weapons. The latest release has finally solved that issue, so the way I see it, the one possible obstacle keeping it from contending/winning should be gone now.

6 hours ago, Master O said:

Nominated multiple times already.

Ah. Then throw one more nomination into the pile then. (I did a search and didn't find anything so cool. TYVM.)

On 8/16/2020 at 10:20 AM, iconofeggsafe666 said:

Worst wad - Serious Sam: The Hell Encounter (Beta)

It's a Beta, That means you can't rate it.

The Cacowards staff does tend to show a little leeway when it comes to projects being in beta, but it at least has to be final-ish -- e.g. in a reasonably complete state, or a single episode out of an episodic set. Works that are very heavily in-progress, like Doom -1, are not going to be considered eligible just yet.

Just want the second the mention of @Big Ol Billy for some kind of recognition. From the literal moment he came to the community with "Doomguy Gets a Puppy" I predicted he'd be a creative mastermind of Doom modding, and the prediction has so far been proven accurate time and time again.

Three Is A Crowd by @Scypek2 - Best vanilla megawad i've played so far, got my expectations subverted at every map.

Shrine II by @scumhead and @Mengo923 - Best gameplay mod (and full conversion) i've played this year. The artstyle is also pretty neat.

Edited by MattFright : found mengo's profile, so i fixed it so as to not trigger my OCD

On vendredi 28 août 2020 at 12:51 AM, Xaser said:

The Cacowards staff does tend to show a little leeway when it comes to projects being in beta, but it at least has to be final-ish -- e.g. in a reasonably complete state, or a single episode out of an episodic set.

... or when nobody expects the complete version to actually happen, so the released beta can be considered final (RTC-3057 Hub 1, Eternal Doom IV: Return from Oblivion, Vaporware).

++++ For Refracted Reality

A really passionate driven project made with blood sweat and tears and really bringing out that vaporwave/surreal architecture that is seldom seen in Doom Projects.

Refracted Reality deserves a chance for a cacoward. 

On 9/2/2020 at 11:50 PM, Endless said:

And this one is special for me. @kmxexii for an Espi award (or a honorary award of a kind.)

Seconding this big time. Back before I started mapping I would read ONEMANDOOM for recommendations and analysis, and it was a huge inspiration that set me off on the path I’m on now. Kmx’s deep appreciation for design philosophies, author careers, and thematic aspects of map—all the stuff that gets deeper than “well is it fun?” while not being totally separate from that question either—helped me see how much one could put into a Doom map. I’m not embarrassed to admit that thoughts of “if this is good enough, maybe kmx will review it some day!” kept me going at times. I’m sure many players and mappers have stories about his impact, and it would be great to bring those out while the memory of ONEMANDOOM (at least as a regularly updated part of yer standard weekly Doom diet) is fresh in people’s minds.