Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ramiel

The Game Awards 2019 Trailer

"Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all the wickedness that mankind can produce, we will  send unto them... only you.

Not much to glean from this, as far as I can tell, but the voice is cool.

Kind of a related note, but notice how the Doomslayer’s visor is now completely opaque. 

It was mentioned at QuakeCon that the visor transparency can be adjusted, but it seemed like this was a change Hugo Martin didn’t want to make.

Anyway, it seems like we now have Visorgate because people were actually complaining about being able to see the Slayer’s face, and now that his visor was changed, there’s another group of people who preferred to see his face because it shows that he’s still (somewhat) human and are not happy with the change. 

I like it, a bit more footage on the cyberdemon. I think he would make a fun strong enemy.

I like it :-)

Is it already known who "we" is? I'm referring to the "we will send only you".

edit: is it the same voice as the "they are no longer your people to save" in the older trailer? 

19 minutes ago, igg said:

I like it :-)

Is it already known who "we" is? I'm referring to the "we will send only you".

edit: is it the same voice as the "they are no longer your people to save" in the older trailer? 

Doesn’t sound like the same character, but I’m getting the vibe it’s from either the sentinels or the seraphim.

37 minutes ago, STILES said:

0:14 Uhhhhh what the hell are those summoners?

Looks like the new unwilling model.   Not sure why they needed a change.

2 minutes ago, Zemini said:

Yeah I guess that makes sense, you see one limping at the start of the video.  Guess they wanted to reuse the summoner model for something.

10 hours ago, Man of Doom said:

Kind of a related note, but notice how the Doomslayer’s visor is now completely opaque. 

It was mentioned at QuakeCon that the visor transparency can be adjusted, but it seemed like this was a change Hugo Martin didn’t want to make.

Anyway, it seems like we now have Visorgate because people were actually complaining about being able to see the Slayer’s face, and now that his visor was changed, there’s another group of people who preferred to see his face because it shows that he’s still (somewhat) human and are not happy with the change. 

It feels weird because it's like we've had a visible face and grunts first because people wanted them back and now it's opposite like they're a bit inconsistent with feedback/fan service.

At this point, voice sounds and transparent visor might as well be options.

It also sucks because people are treating the idea of a Doom protagonist having a face being an alien concept to the series when it was one of Doomguy's iconic/only characteristics at the time.

Doesn't help that one of the problems with the Praetor suit was when it almost felt like a ZeniMax exec stepped in and said "you know, kids these days really like Halo" even though Master Chief and Doomguy never really looked alike that much and the comparisons before never made that much sense.

17 minutes ago, Zemini said:

I thought it was an Imp variant based off that Imp model from the 2015 E3 reveal of Doom '16.

I remember there being eyeless imps at that point until the release.

EDIT: By the way, there's a point where below some text you can see the Whiplash's extended Snake like tail.

He seems to be hidden behind text.

Edited by whatup876 : adding more

I really liked being able to see his face. It's a great callback to the classics and it adds character. His face and the return of the grunts were two of my favorite changes to Eternal. I'm hoping they'll give us an option to adjust the transparency of the visor. If not then I'll wait for a mod.

Edit:

"the Slayer's visor is still translucent in the game, despite how it may appear in the video"

DOOM Twitter

Edited by Agent Strange

6 hours ago, Zemini said:

I think there's going to be multiple varieties which differ depending on the setting of each level.

DOOM 2016 experimented with this a little bit, what with the Unwilling and basic Possessed being functionally identical and appear in the Hell and Mars levels respectively.

Also, when some Battlemode screenshots were released, one of them featured more "traditional-looking" scientist Zombies in the "UAC Cultist" map:

descientistzombie.jpg.94695ae124374235895861f107659d25.jpg

The "Unwilling" that have been shown since the QuakeCon 2018 gameplay are probably placeholder in some levels; I think they're meant to show up mostly in the Earth and/or Hell missions in the final game, since they fit with the aesthetics of those areas.

Edited by chemo

Doomguy in the original games was more "generic burly marine" than anything, and the status bar portrait reflected that. His sprite has a helmet, the box art has a helmet, the box art of Doom 2 doesn't even appear to be the same guy, the Playstation Doomguy appears to be yet another guy, Doom 3 Doomguy is yet another guy, etc.

The "classic Doomguy" model in Quake Champions is just... wrong.

17 hours ago, Linguica said:

Doomguy in the original games was more "generic burly marine" than anything, and the status bar portrait reflected that. His sprite has a helmet, the box art has a helmet, the box art of Doom 2 doesn't even appear to be the same guy, the Playstation Doomguy appears to be yet another guy, Doom 3 Doomguy is yet another guy, etc.

Idk I think the classic Doomguy model in QC is pretty accurate minus the added customization additions.  If you mean the face is a bit inaccurate I can agree.

On 12/13/2019 at 11:46 PM, Linguica said:

I mean, that could be attributed to a trend before the new millenium which is official/promotional art of video games being inconsistent and even though Megaman's US box art is an example of this, i think a greater can be most Castlevania games, since Simon Belmont has had a lot of changes in details (and i mean design changes that aren't meant to be specific designs), even his Smash design has some unique elements.

But going on topic, the fact that Doom's own story barely matters is how we get inconsistencies like how Inferno ends vs how Doom 2's manual states how Doomguy got there.

So, with the story being a last thought, i expect something similar with the idea of Doomguy being an avatar for the player, meaning in reality, he's both himself and you.

On 12/14/2019 at 5:44 PM, STILES said:

Idk I think the classic Doomguy model in QC is pretty accurate minus the added customization additions.  If you mean the face is a bit inaccurate I can agree.

There's also how he has the black gloves from the box art instead of the brown/tanned ones with the brass knuckles.

From the glimpses of the Slayer's face so far in Eternal, it might be more faithfull than the QC classic skin.

A video from RipNTear gaming pointed this out but the song in this VGA trailer sort of resembles this Doom 3 song at the start.

I hope the song shows up in the actual game.

That voice saying 'we' sounds new now, don't think its the wretch/seraphim here, maybe the good maykrs. The staff holding one maybe.