Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
snapshot

The New Xbox design

Xbox_Series_X.png

Looks like an air purifier it takes up too much space, but it's shaped like a box so it lives up to its name.

well tbh I just play on an authentic NES as well as a PC rather than all this newfangled x bocks and pee yes four and nintendo bitch 

Looks like a taller, larger speaker.

The old design was better, don't fix what ain't broken.

Making it too vertical like that is going to be a problem for most TV units to hold, although I suppose maybe its designed to rest on its side without issues. 

I suspect if they had shown it on its side in these promo photos there would have been a much less negative reaction. 

Dude, that is NOT a box. I'd say more like a rectangle.

Or is it?™

Either way, I couldn't care less, because I never was an Xbox person.

I love it. It's simple, beautiful, and aesthetically pleasing. It doesn't need odd grooves, shapes, or designs. It's the most minimalist console design ever.

It looks about as wide as the controller, maybe a tiny bit wider, and if that's the case the console is going to have a pretty small footprint. That's pretty cool, although I've no idea where to put it if I ever get one.

1 hour ago, Scuba Steve said:

I love it. It's simple, beautiful, and aesthetically pleasing. It doesn't need odd grooves, shapes, or designs. It's the most minimalist console design ever.

I think it goes too far. Compare it to the "Snow White" Macs of the late '80s/early '90s (e.g. Mac II series, Quadra 700), which were also often simple rectangles, but they had carefully placed and subtle grooves and surface detail to add flair, visual interest, and a sense of human artistry to the product. The new XBox is just blank, like an alien monolith.

12 hours ago, sluggard said:

it takes up too much space

i dunno, judging by the size disc drive, its about 2 CDs tall. not very big really.

Too fuckin' wide and tall, just a bad shape in general that doesn't fit in with literally every other console, BluRay player, DVD player or VCR. The best console design ever (for the actual unit you insert the disc) was the Wii U.

3dmodelofNintendoWiiUConsoleBlack02.jpgc

I feel like it just wins in every conceivable way. Small rectangular shape, to keep in-step with literally every other device you'd ever put on an entertainment center. Smaller than the new Xbox (you can tell just by comparing the CD drive) and generally sleeker in appearance to boot.

The cube shape is just generally crap for a console, and this thing definitely looks taller than a gamecube. I just checked and the thing is a bit over a foot tall, yet still over 6 inches wide and deep. LOL. That's way too goddamn tall for an entertainment center piece. Compare that to the Wii U's slick dimensions: 7 inches wide, 2 inches tall, 10 inches deep. It just wins, I don't see any other way to slice it.

I'll give this new Xbox a C- in the design department. It passes and is okay, but yeah, pretty much a non-standard design solely for the sake of being a non-standard design. It's not 2kool4skool, it's just inconvenient.

It looks uhh....

Sturdy 

But god all these new consoles coming out just blend together with their matte black finishes.

I'm far more concerned about the console's name. Really, didn't anyone in Microsoft's marketing department notice that people would abbreviate to XBox SeX ?

@Doomkid When sat horizontally it's apparently no taller than a receiver. It should fit most media centers fine (and frankly anything smaller strikes me as a hotboxing risk anyway).

Edited by Edward850

2 hours ago, D.Vile said:

I'm far more concerned about the console's name. Really, didn't anyone in Microsoft's marketing department notice that people would abbreviate to XBox SeX ?

Hey, we've been sitting around playing with our Xbones for how many years now? It's time to have some SeX!

I would think someone at Microsoft marketing during the last 6 years noticed people were calling it the Xbone. And they decided to run with it.

The console looks ok, if uninspired and a little odd. It'd be fine laying down I'd imagine, as long as it has proper ventilation. I've never liked standing my consoles up anyway, seems like you're just running the risk of something knocking them over. 

8 hours ago, rf` said:

Who knows, maybe the next version will literally just be a featureless cube.

As long as it's purple I'd be all for it. Maybe add a carrying handle too.