Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DynamiteKaitorn

[VANILLA/CHOCOLATE] Custom Switches?

Question

I've been making decent progress in my vanilla project but I've come across a rather confusing issue. How does one make custom switch textures? I got animated flats and walls to work just fine so I know partially what to do but beyond that I'm not fully sure on what it is I need to do.

5 answers to this question

Step #1: make custom textures

Step #2: give them names from the hardcoded list of vanilla switches, no you can't use different names you have to use those

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Switch

Note that you can always do like Final Doom did and put a lot of completely different switches in the same texture. Then just play with offsets to get the texture you want from the list. See for example this texture from CC4TEX:

WswOHKn.png

This is as far as I can get so far:

SWITCHAROONY_01.png.53b6e98f02789f5dbc0f5a839c68a50c.png
I have the patches aligned just fine and the names match the name inside DooM II to a tee.

SWITCHAROONY_02.png.9f12f82cc19772973e8ba0e7e60b18d3.png

But Chocolate DooM II is having none of it and simply loads the original DooM II patch instead. :l

Any extra tips? (I am using -merge not -file)

EDIT:

I don't know if this is the best solution but the only method I can see working is if I brute-force the patch replacements on the original patches instead.

36 minutes ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

But Chocolate DooM II is having none of it and simply loads the original DooM II patch instead. :l

This most likely is happening if your TEXTURE1 still contains the original switch texture with the same name. The game is then loading the original texture instead of your custom texture that is further down the list.

To fix that, you gotta either:

A) Delete the original texture, so that there are no duplicate texture names, leaving just your new texture.

B) Edit the original texture and replace its contents with your custom patches.

C) Edit the original texture to be wider, and include your custom patches in the added width, this way you can have both the original and the new switch texture, but you gotta play with the wall lenghts and texture offsets to make it work.

1 hour ago, Worst said:

This most likely is happening if your TEXTURE1 still contains the original switch texture with the same name. The game is then loading the original texture instead of your custom texture that is further down the list.

Yes, texture search (contrarily to the lump search) goes forward from the first, stopping at the first match, so it's the first texture with the given name that wins. (Whereas lump search goes backward from the last, and also stops at the first match.)