Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Longsword97

Has anyone done this before?

I'm sure it's been done before. One thing that comes to mind is eviternity map04, where there's a little replica of another area of the map.

As far as miniature models of the entire map, that's pretty cool but I'm sure someone somewhere has done it.

It was done at least as early as 1997, in MAP03 of Eternal Doom.

Spoiler

image.png.3ce23c9a99e14c8e70b2a2970771d38d.png

image.png.7240ddbb8cc5a67648ad188119410983.png

Does this mini-diorama also show a beautiful flower transforming into a skull and the touch of a slider bar?

Nah but seriously that's super cute, nicely done :D

It was also made for Knee Deep in Zdoom iirc, for new "map intermissions" and in... Z1M4?

Spoiler

Also the first time i've seen something like it was in a Duke Nukem 3D User map called MPROCKET or something like that that have a mini replica of a city section in a office room or something like that

Just throwing this out there, Fred512 did something just like this in his Doomed in Space map from 2016, map07. You pressed a switch and a tiny model in the middle of the room showed a bridge raising between two pieces of land. Naturally, when you go back outside, you find the big bridge raised! I always thought that was an adorable touch.

4 hours ago, Linguica said:

This is an excellent example of "Doomcute." @esselfortium @kmxexii As to the specifics, Doom 64 For Doom 2 has a lot of little mini dioramas like that to show what switches do.

dSleYpc.jpg

I know that I've seen it before but the one in my most recent memory is this hologram table in Nimrod: Ixnay on the Hombre's MAP08.

7B5rDhk.png

Here is another one from the excellent Reconstruction / Decontruction, meant to represent the station portion.

Edited by kmxexii : shrinkage

In my MAP12 from dmp15b, the blue key is hidden inside a miniature replica of a different room. Also, at the end of the level, you come across a replica of the entire map.

(Actually, in both cases it's meant to be implied that they're not replicas, but the real things, and the "full-size" versions is just you visiting them while shrunk...)