Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

Rust - Single map for Boom

Can't say I enjoyed this one (custom monsters, too little ammo), but there is one thing you should check out: I killed one of the final ghosts, but it reappeared about a second later and was unkillable - all my projectiles went straight through it. It also continually fired on me afterwards. I think it happened because I killed it while it was phasing in or out. It did count as dead, however - when I killed the last living one, the gates opened. I played in GZdoom 4.2.4.

Interesting map. I liked the atmosphere immensely, good use of lighting and texturing (the pack looked amazing). This kind of brown mixed in with some bright color does it for me really well (reminds me stylistically of 20x6, but red). Encounters were tight, most of them something that you don't need to trial and error too much to get the strategy going, and I liked the fact that you needed to look around and explore instead of just blindly challenging everything. Difficult in a good way, but I felt I ran out of resources in later parts.

Here's some more specific comments:

Spoiler

The resource starvation culminated in me running completely out of ammo against the ghosts, which ultimately led me to IDDQD fist fight them to get ahead. It was a bit too far into the map for me to completely restart it at that point. The situation arose mainly because I wasn't economical enough with the resources, but the fact that the realization came so late was a bit disappointing. Then again, the map isn't overly long, but it was long enough that I was discouraged to start again.

Also the plasma guys shooting rapidly were a bit too spongy for me. This is a matter of taste of course, and I would've enjoyed more of them with less health. Somehow shooting something so small so many times without killing it is frustrating, compared to more llarger hitbox monsters.

Also, I never got the rocket launcher. When I dropped into the blood pool after the floor lowered, preventing me from getting to the RL, I took the teleporter on the left instead of dropping into the pit on the right. Later the pit was no longer accessible Was this intentional? Also, was it even the way to get the RL, or was the gun omitted entirely from the map?

Overall I liked it though, minus the few nitpicks I had. Using the spawner cube as a prop was pretty nice too. Also, the revvies looked absolutely gorgeous through the transparent bloodfalls, might have look into that myself.

Link has been updated! Added some more ammo for the final fight, hopefully it's sufficient. I'll likely upload this to Incoming in a day or two.