Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Redneckerz

Introducing H.A/R.M - The Historic Wiki Project

I wanted to reply with smart advice for a new doomwiki.org contributor, but then realized I don't have any, or I would be following it myself. So I'll just sphere your post and wish you success and satisfaction. You're already doing two very important things: paying attention to small details, and noticing what other users do. :>

Many, many historical technical contributions remain to be documented and those workers certainly deserve recognition (especially since most leave the community without writing long memoirs first), so it's an important project!

20 hours ago, Xeriphas1994 said:

I wanted to reply with smart advice for a new doomwiki.org contributor, but then realized I don't have any, or I would be following it myself. So I'll just sphere your post and wish you success and satisfaction. You're already doing two very important things: paying attention to small details, and noticing what other users do. :>

Many, many historical technical contributions remain to be documented and those workers certainly deserve recognition (especially since most leave the community without writing long memoirs first), so it's an important project!

Well, if you have any smart advice, ill be all ears. Thank you :)

And thank you aswell for the compliments :) I have been working since on getting certain wiki pages up to steam and adding information to them, mostly around source releases and what not. At the same time i have contacted several authors on their work and to have it featured, and when that happens, ill make sure it gets a thread.

I am glad that both these authors and community members appreciate the effort. This solidifies for me that fulfilling this community project is the right way to go at it, leading ultimately to a DoomWiki where even the most obscure port or feature is documented in some way, shape or form.

Special thanks so far to @fraggle and @Quasar for lending a hand on their pages and doing the ever so small fixes. Thank you both.

Ive decided this thread will play as an index of entries i will be making on Doomworld during this project highlighting unusual histories, ports, other tidbits and so on and so forth.

For an up to date ''repository'' of contributions, see my user page at the DoomWiki.

Entries so far:

Edited by Redneckerz

Since this is a project about documenting various obscure source ports or forks and their links, I would like to mention DUMB. It is a 3D game engine written in the pre source port days that could read .wad files and thus run doom, doom 2 and even Heretic maps.

Unfortunately, I cannot find anything else about this port right now (it doesn't help that it is named DUMB and google searching just brings dumb things).

1 hour ago, ReaperAA said:

Since this is a project about documenting various obscure source ports or forks and their links, I would like to mention DUMB. It is a 3D game engine written in the pre source port days that could read .wad files and thus run doom, doom 2 and even Heretic maps.

Unfortunately, I cannot find anything else about this port right now (it doesn't help that it is named DUMB and google searching just brings dumb things).

You probably hate me for this but i already have that in my rather insane documentation file. When i say giving back to the community, i mean going all the way.

Its not a port, rather an engine that very closely mirrors Doom, as in it supports WAD files, has new lumps, but it isn't Doom.

So here is some more info:

Also has a port to the GGI window system on Linux: Here

DUMB Bugs historic archive

DUMB Readme

That readme is incidentially on the same host as you linked and contains a nice history of things:

''2. What is DUMB?

DUMB is a 3D game engine, reminiscent of id software's Doom. In fact it is gamefile (.WAD) compatible with Doom, and the related games Doom II and Heretic. The internal workings of DUMB are quite different to those of Doom, though.

Specifically:

a) DUMB does not use a BSP (binary space partitioning) algorithm to order wall textures. Instead it insertion-sorts the walls on the fly (a feature inherited from wt). This has the advantage that map vertices can move during the game without a costly BSP tree reconstruction.

b) DUMB adds several new lumps to game wads to control texture animation and object behaviour. The Doom engine requires these to be compiled into the game. A single binary of DUMB can thus play a variety of different games.

c) DUMB is more generalised in several miscellaneous ways. For example, it can render into large framebuffers at 8, 16 or 32 bits per pixel. Panning the camera up and down is possible (though this just moves the horizon around on the screen, it doesn't change the perspective that walls and objects are seen at). Textures can be displayed at various resolutions. Very tall (>128 pixels) textures are possible. Textures can be vertically tiled at any power-of-two height between 4 and 1024, and horizontally tiled at any width. And there's more....

DUMB is reasonably fast given this: an important goal for me has been to keep it running reasonably well on an i486-based Linux box (since that's what I've got).

DUMB is also VERY VERY VERY much a work in progress. It is not complete. I'm only releasing it because I thought that if I didn't now, I might never.

2.1 History of DUMB:

Some time in 1995, I was playing around with Chris Laurel's wt. I thought I would experiment by tuning it up to preview Doom WADFiles. And thus DUMB was born. I hacked about the renderer to use Doomish data formats internally, and eventually pulled it out of the rest of wt, rewrote bits, fixed bugs and generally hacked it around. For a couple of years, this process continued at a slow pace. DUMB gradually ceased to be a 2-hour hack, and became some kind of coherent whole. I ported it to MS-DOS, hacked the DOS version some, and ported it back to Linux again. It collected a X-based level editor, and various tools to generate other necessary bits of wadfiles.

In July 1997, I decided that it was going too slowly, and that I'd release it out into the world to see if anyone else was interested in helping, or even just commenting on it.''

Edited by Redneckerz

Breathing new life in this topic for the moment to denote that several new entries have been added since, namely:

• MBF: A DOS Oddity (SIGIL/Nerve/Master Levels support, 386 build, etc)
  • How QuickBASIC got Doomed: The story of IDKFA and the ATTE series

Find these at this post.