Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Captain Red

Stupid everything...

Is it just me, or have the doom 3 forums become a really unpleasant place since the reports of the doom 3 alpha (or demo or whatever)?
While most of the newbies are decent enough, a few of them have been a real pain in the arse (Fortunately, BBG sorted most of 'em out quick smart).

And it's not just the newies, some veterans are getting really up tight about very trivel matters, like HUGE flame wars over whether the leak is a "alpha" or "demo", and what kind of weapon the machine gun is (yes, you know who you are. all of you, cut it out).
I can't say I blame 'em though.

It bothers me because, if it's that bad now, what will happen when doom 3 arrives? I know this is an old subject, but it just accrued to me how bad the impact could be. The stupidity could spared to other forums, like this one! I like my little R&P playground! Sure we have the odd flmewar, but is snaked off buy the next thread... but have you been to forums for newer games? in particular, ones for counter-strike and the like? A mess of pointless flame wars, and foolishness.

I like the doomworlds forums because doom is a cult classic, and only a cretin kind of freak still plays a 9 year old game, MY kind of freak! but doom 3 could really change all that. maybe not permanently, but for long enough for some of our veterans to say "bugger this!" and piss off for good.

Well that’s my little rant, anyone want to add anything, tell me what a moron I am, point out my shitty spelling?

I wouldn't expect counter-strike to attract anything but idiocy. But as for DOOM III, well it's the present vanguard of FPS gaming in many respects with the hype and the new engine. You can expect it to attract both talent and garbage. Inevitable. I doubt the other forums will be affected in the same way... only a bit maybe. Just wait till DOOM III is released, the DOOM III section will be expanded and activity will explode. Seems that way.

Well when Doom 3 is released I'll be sorting out n00bs "quick smart" left and right. I have no illusions that the first week to month or so of Doom 3's release that these forums will be hellish but no matter because we will maintain as we have before.

bigbadgangsta said:
Well when Doom 3 is released I'll be sorting out n00bs "quick smart" left and right. I have no illusions that the first week to month or so of Doom 3's release that these forums will be hellish but no matter because we will maintain as we have before.

I'm pleased to hear that. :)

I suspect the fact that this was a leak rather than a deliberately released demo has aggravated things a lot. There are many conflicting viewpoints on how the community should respond to this, and so people arrive at each new thread with some pre-existing baggage, ready and willing to flame (or at least argue politely).

I don't have much experience of forums about newer games - I have visited a fair few HL and UT sites, but not looked at their forums (if they had any). I did visit some Blood 2 forums in an attempt to discover if there was any way the game could run with XP, and was amazed that at least 99% of the posts were complete crap and/or flames.

I'm pretty confident that all of this will die out in a few months... Probably enough reason for people to start again if id Software were to bring out (a shareware version of) the game. I got quite annoyed myself when reading some of the doom3 threads, but I won't let all of this bother me. I'm also not worried about this game thinning out the interest of the classic doom gameplay and 'cult'. I've heard about the same thing when quake came out.

Geeze, All the newbs posting that 134k crapola is turning the D3 forum into the next Post Hell. Im surpirsed to say it, but their posts are worse than mine.

Heh, I think it's pretty stupid of people to argue over whether the demo is that-a demo, or an alpha. Either way, it's illegal, so it's not like anyone is in the right here. I hope this dies out and the D3 forums go back to being normal.

It'll cool down. Remember we had similar flurries of activity after the original announcement and after the E3 demo (and that leaked movie).

Yes, whenver something massive about Doom 3 is released, we get flooded. I browse the forums quite often and will have to beef up my browsing time even more when Doom 3 gets released or when something.