Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SeanTheBermanator

Doom Sound Bulb - HD sounds that stay true to the original!

I applaud you for hunting out all the original sounds!  I too always felt the original Hi-Res sound pack deviated from the original sounds a little, but these sound much closer.

I'm no audio expert, but the new versions did sound a lot more trebly than the originals though - much more piercing.  This might be a natural result of the higher bit-rate, but it definitely sounded different.

Out of interest I also popped the two versions of DSFLAME into Audacity to compare them.  Are you aware that your version of DSFLAME (on the bottom) is shorter than the original (on the top)?

image.png.4a7c545cbb34f372c514abcc369ecce7.png

Very nice, I will check this out asap. I do love Per Kristian's pack and didn't even think one could improve upon that.

Just now, elend said:

Very nice, I will check this out asap. I do love Per Kristian's pack and didn't even think one could improve upon that.

Well, there was already a way, and that was to include more than he already did.

Everything sounds so clear! I'll definitely be using this from now on.

Holy shit, these sound fantastic!

My only complaint (Which is an extremely minor one at that) is that a few of the sounds that weren't included in PerKristian's sound pack seem a bit distorted to me in this pack (Mainly the plasma rifle firing and the cacodemon's death sound), but it's no big deal.

Sorry to hear that @GamingMarine. There is sadly not much I can do about that. Remastering low-res audio is harder than you may think, especially since some of the sounds may have been equalized to sound "good" while Doom was being worked on. They thought they could do that with compression to restore frequencies... That's not how it's done, once the frequencies are lost, they're gone.

Excellent! What about revenant's death sound? This sound is messy in Perkristian's mod while in original we can hear a nice, clear sound of click.

These sounds are fantastic, very crisp and clear. It feels like I'm wearing earplugs when I go back to the old sounds because these new ones are so high fidelity.

Using this in combination with the minor sprite fixing project and wadsmoosh results in the most incredibly clean and seamless way for newcomers to experience Classic Doom. Thanks a lot for this!

2 hours ago, dmslr said:

Excellent! What about revenant's death sound? This sound is messy in Perkristian's mod while in original we can hear a nice, clear sound of click.

I believe the Revenant death sounds different because the original is so low quality. The Revenant shares its death sound with the Gargoyle from Heretic where it sounds more accurate to the source sound. 

A lot of these have the high frequency egg-sizzle aliasing that you get from upsampling. So no more of these are from high-quality sources apart from what perkristian found and you ran them through some sort of filtering software?

1 hour ago, Linguica said:

A lot of these have the high frequency egg-sizzle aliasing that you get from upsampling. So no more of these are from high-quality sources apart from what perkristian found and you ran them through some sort of filtering software?

I have strategies, try it out for like an hour or two, then get back to me. They can take some getting used to.

12 hours ago, dmslr said:

The revenant sound was actually poorly equalized in the original game. The sound was later used in Quake 2.

NOTICE: Do not have too high of expectations from this. I was working with a lack of frequencies, using different effects to try to make them sound cleaner. It's not magic, and results do vary and depend highly on how well compression treated the original sound effect.

I just tested it with LZDoom, and it sounds much, MUCH better than before! Gone is the tinny distortion from thrown fireballs and Pinky grunts/bites. Definitely staying in my load-order from now on!

55 minutes ago, Shockwave_S08 said:

I just tested it with LZDoom, and it sounds much, MUCH better than before! Gone is the tinny distortion from thrown fireballs and Pinky grunts/bites. Definitely staying in my load-order from now on!

Tinny distortion? They were just low quality. 11.25 kHz 8-bit.

If you guys want to complain. Go ahead. Just understand there's only so much I can do... And complaints just crush my dreams of being an audio engineer. I can't change my career path, I am already in college.