Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SeanTheBermanator

Doom Sound Bulb - HD sounds that stay true to the original!

16 hours ago, NightFright said:

I am active in Doom, Quake and Duke Nukem 3D comms. For Quake I was mainly one of the most active testers for the Mark V port.

Anyway, here are the sounds in your pack that strike me as the ones that I like in particular due to their clarity. Especially good is DSSSSIT ("Mein Leben") which does not seem like an upsampled version of the original to me at all. If it is, it's an excellent achievement. It's really good one way or the other.

DSSHOTGN
DSBFG
DSDORCLS
DSHOOF
DSPLASMA
DSSAWFUL
DSSAWHIT
DSMANSIT
DSBDCLS
DSPISTOL
DSFLAME
DSSSSIT (!)
DSSPISIT
DSPSTART
DSPSTOP
DSWPNUP
DSBOSPIT
DSSGCOCK

You mean "Schutzstaffel"? I actually did upsample it, but gave it heavy editing to make it actually sound like he is saying "Schutzstaffel".

DSFLAME was unchanged from Per Kristan's pack, that along with all chainsaw sounds except the idle sound, which had apparent noise. Everything else was worked on.

DSPISTOL and DSBFG actually were made by combining Per Kristan's versions and the original versions.

DSMANSIT was redone from the ground up.

The doors combined the original sound effect sped up by around 120% or so, and the 11.25kHz versions, ending it off with a beginning portion of DSBFG.

DSBOSPIT and DSSPISIT weren't changed very much, other than removal of quantization noise.

ANNOUNCEMENT! For those extreme purists out there that use either GZDoom or Eternity, buckle up; because coming soon is a sound pack called Classic Doom Sound Repair, which makes all sounds 16-bit instead of 8-bit, and fixes any problems the sound design had, like clipping and clicking, as well as fixing samples that were slowed down after downsampling, by increasing the pitch and using the highs of that to bring back some quality.

I think my real issue with the pack is consistency. Some entries sound crystal-clear, others have less noticable improvements. What it needs is some balance, if you can call it like that.

I'm trying my best, @NightFright...

Speaking of which, NEW UPDATE HEADING YOUR WAY, FELLAS!

List of some of the changes that Version 3 has to offer:

1. Many of the sounds you guys were not so keen on have been fixed... At least, I think they're fixed. You be the judge. These include:
    1. Player death sound
    2. Possessed sounds, like, all of them.
    3. Cacodemon hiss? Not sure if it's fixed, hissing is hard to remaster, hopefully it's more tolerable, along with the death sound, it's muffled because it's slowed down, which leads to a loss in high-end frequencies.
    4. A lot of muffled sounds have been fixed. Hopefully the quality is a bit more consistent across the board.
  2. Mancubus sight sound reworked again.
  3. Mancubus attack sound reworked.

EXPECT IT SOME TIME TODAY!

REMEMBER! Lots of stock sounds are muffled, and in some cases, there is really nothing your can do about it without it sounding bad. So if something's muffled, just deal with it, it isn't that bad.

In a future update, I will make another version that consists of sounds that are 24kHz and 48kHz for those who prefer or are stuck with 48kHz on their sound card, in order to prevent any aliasing.

Ok. Another announcement. I believe I did mention before about Doom 64 Sound Bulb. I am still working on it, since unfortunately very little sound effects could be found; I even tried contacting Aubrey Hodges, but he never responded. So, that really just leaves it to me, so don't expect all the sounds to sound amazing or anything, just better.

13 minutes ago, SeanTheBermanator said:

Ok. Another announcement. I believe I did mention before about Doom 64 Sound Bulb. I am still working on it, since unfortunately very little sound effects could be found; I even tried contacting Aubrey Hodges, but he never responded. So, that really just leaves it to me, so don't expect all the sounds to sound amazing or anything, just better.

It is always an iterative process of improvement. Every little bit helps! :D

There will be some differences in D64 Sound Bulb from the original game. The Double Barrel Shotgun will sound far more powerful than it did before; as I am putting in a satisfying "BOOM" at the beginning. The Double Barrel open, insert, and close sounds will be the ones from Per Kristan's pack, instead of just being the same as classic Doom. DSPDIEHI will be higher pitched than DSPLDETH since they are the exact same; gotta differentiate the two, ya know? Equalization will NOT be faithful to how Aubrey did it, sorry. I want to eliminate the sound of low quality equalization to my best ability.

VERSION 3 IS AVAILABLE NOW! Go back to the first post, there is a Google Drive link. An explanation on why it's on Google Drive now is also in the post. Version History now available.

10 hours ago, Gez said:

Any interest in doing Heretic or Hexen next?

I spent a few minutes and make a trial version of Heretic for myself. However, do not expect anything special it's just batch processing for original sounds. )

HereticSound2.zip

DSITMBK is only present in Legacy version and new DSSKESIT is just bad.

Did you decide to change DSBOSSIT to better match the original? It was fine before, but this new version is good too.

Everything else seems like an improvement after a quick comparison. Well done!

Edit: Added some quick notes about V3 to my spreadsheet.

Edited by Agitatio

Just blasted the Icon of Sin with this thing and it's amazing. Never felt so good when killing the devil itself.

1 hour ago, SeanTheBermanator said:

There is a feeling that you are constantly experimenting and change options. It is not surprising that the sounds in one pack are so different. )
Regarding DSSKESIT, I just took and mixed the previous two variants and got this:

DSSKESIT.zip

The version in 1 and 2 was the best attempt one so far. Even though at the time it didn't feel like that. I understand that it's a difficult sound to remaster, but versions 3 and 3.1 of it just sounded like attempts at making it sound different and see if it works. Sorry about being so picky, but considering how good was your similar project for Quake I have some expectations.

If you're talking about DSSKESIT, then yes. I also listened to all previous versions of it for comparison.

You guys can contact me on Discord. Don't feel like starting arguments and complaints back and fourth on this forum, especially if it is an issue only you have. We can sort it all out on Discord.

My username is Sean The Bermanator#6383

I tried this mod the first time last night and its just too good. The pitch is just top notch, the chaingun sounds so great now. Thanks for making it, Sean!

4 hours ago, SeanTheBermanator said:

@B-Dawg At last, somebody who tried out the extra sounds. Glad you enjoyed it. Pitch? You mean high frequencies?

I just meant like the sound pitch for the chaingun/pistol is correct to the DOS version. Sound remaster mods in the past have a soft sound to them, I can't put my finger on it.