Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Dubbag

Release of Level 1 as a Teaser to my soon to be released episode. Good so far?

I'm going to be releasing an 8 map episode soon and want to know if my direction is right so far. SO I'm giving you guys the first level as a teaser to see if you like it so far and where I'm going with it. I wanted to do a WAD that is simplistic because I tend to always try to go big, so here I decided to make levels that can be finished in about 5 minutes each. I'm going for fun here not over the top aesthetics. Tell me if you like it  cause I'm really digging this approach so far. Will add more details in final release probably. I know it isnt much to work with in terms of making a full opinion on the episode, but I just wanted to hear your thoughts. Basically, would you play 7 more maps like this?

UPDATES

------------

-Fixed starting position, added new starting sector.

-switched some enemies for better balancing

-added super shotgun

------------

MAP INFO

------------

IWAD: Doom 2

Port Tested with: LZdoom

Map: 01

Playtime: Roughly 5 Minutes

Singleplayer Only

Difficulty: Moderate

Episode.zip

Screenshot_Doom_20191217_145207.png.7eac4dc56763a7ed319d443e0d3cc485.pngScreenshot_Doom_20191217_145216.png.fb7ad6d1a7ba2048c45a6cdacbf8f6d0.pngScreenshot_Doom_20191217_145221.png.5b4f960e49a73f1f09909eb24676b12f.pngScreenshot_Doom_20191217_145227.png.1706438d671fe0f8f08d290bd1929975.png

Episode.zip

Edited by Dubbagdarrel

A rather jarring start causing me to lose nearly 50% of my hp in less than 10 seconds, 4 pinky's rather early on, a hell knight, 4-5 cacos and a pain elemental. All without the super shotty, any real armour items (mostly the occasional bonus) and a small health pool. Gotta admit, I wasn't expect that. O_o

To be fair this map does seem to be rather good with giving out ammo so that's a huge plus but I think for an opening map you maaaay wanna tone it down a little. Having such a surprising start really didn't ease me in all to well, especially when I'm dealing with mid-tier enemies without any meaty firepower to back me up.

4 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

A rather jarring start causing me to lose nearly 50% of my hp in less than 10 seconds, 4 pinky's rather early on, a hell knight, 4-5 cacos and a pain elemental. All without the super shotty, any real armour items (mostly the occasional bonus) and a small health pool. Gotta admit, I wasn't expect that. O_o

To be fair this map does seem to be rather good with giving out ammo so that's a huge plus but I think for an opening map you maaaay wanna tone it down a little. Having such a surprising start really didn't ease me in all to well, especially when I'm dealing with mid-tier enemies without any meaty firepower to back me up.

Yes totally agree with the start. Gonna change that. Hope it didn't leave a bad taste in your mouth as far as the rest of the map.

6 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Ok so I hope it's not annoying to ask but I changed the starting position and added a super shotgun and took out the Revenants and switched the Baron to a Hell knight. The zip link is the updated version now. Would you mind looking at it and seeing if it's any better?

mm well i normally play only maps/wads that are playable on dosbox (doesn't load) , on crispy doom it has homs , i guess it's not working on choco-doom . So i end up playing it on gzdoom instead. 

I like the map , i would have loved to play the first version that seems to be more complicated , finished it in 3 mins . Most of the switches are pretty easy clickable without having to fight any of the demons (specially the red key one , run press the switch , run / use the teleport to kill and run ) i would make at least the red key zone harder .

I would play more maps like this one 

Still quite tricky but I gotta admit, this is great! You mentioned revenants and barons which I never saw in the original version (was that for UV only?). Regardless, this is pretty good. Maybe make the teleporter a little more obvious in the red key room but otherwise for an opener map this is brilliant. :)