Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Charbomber

I made my first deathmatch map ever!

I know this sounds lazy, but I made a deathmatch map because it's WAYY easier to make one than a regular map. I played it with bots to fifty kills, and I have to say, it's okay. I also put two secrets around the map, and I don't think I even made one findable without checking every wall.

This section NEVER existed, alright? Alright???

I think it's ZDooM only because I added some water in an outside area.

It's based off of the episode 1 maps from DooM 1 because I like the aesthetic. I suck at decorating though, so it's really horribly decorated.

The name is probably taken already guessing by how generic it is... but eh, I'm sure it's fine.

If there are bugs, tell me. Also, there's a secret Hissy, but Hissy won't load for me for some reason.

Central Armory.zip

So, turns out it sucks because I didn't know beforehand that bots also happen to suck for testing. Whoopdiedoo. Thank you for feedback, and I'm sorry for what SOUNDED like an insult (I didn't mean it that way). Thank you. I'll change the map to fix the fog thing too, because I think it breaks in GZDooM from what I hear, sorry.

Edited by Charbomber : oofie ouchie my ego

3 hours ago, Charbomber said:

I know this sounds lazy, but I made a deathmatch map because it's WAYY easier to make one than a regular map. I played it with bots to fifty kills, and I have to say, it's okay. I also put two secrets around the map, and I don't think I even made one findable without checking every wall.

I think it's ZDooM only because I added some water in an outside area.

It's based off of the episode 1 maps from DooM 1 because I like the aesthetic. I suck at decorating though, so it's really horribly decorated.

The name is probably taken already guessing by how generic it is... but eh, I'm sure it's fine.

If there are bugs, tell me. Also, there's a secret Hissy, but Hissy won't load for me for some reason.

Central Armory.zip

there's a deepwater sector with no liquid.

6 minutes ago, Dubbagdarrel said:

there's a deepwater sector with no liquid.

All I hope is that GZDooM builder isn't acting up again. There has been times where GZDooM builder just doesn't save, and that DID happen in an older version, so...

All I hope is that GZDooM builder isn't acting up again. There has been times where GZDooM builder just doesn't save, and that DID happen in an older version, so...

Yeah all Doombuilder versions are buggy like that. It's just the way it is I guess.

I've just tested it and nothing seems to be wrong with the water.

9 minutes ago, Dubbagdarrel said:

Yeah all Doombuilder versions are buggy like that. It's just the way it is I guess.

1 minute ago, Dubbagdarrel said:

maybe its the way you wanted it idk.Screenshot_Doom_20191217_154318.png.6fcd61264cb037253cd5310c2c23f7a5.png

That isn't right, but It's not on my part. The water appears fine when I test it, maybe something's wrong with the water texture for your DooM 2?

That isn't right, but It's not on my part. The water appears fine when I test it, maybe something's wrong with the water texture for your DooM 2?

IDK whats going on man lol.

Just now, Dubbagdarrel said:

IDK whats going on man lol.

That's why I suggested a fix! GO into Slade (or whatever it is you use if you use anything at all) and check your DooM 2.wad's water texture to see if it's fine.

That's why I suggested a fix! GO into Slade (or whatever it is you use if you use anything at all) and check your DooM 2.wad's water texture to see if it's fine.

yeah its good.

Just now, Dubbagdarrel said:

yeah its good.

Then I don't know what to say. It's not the wad, I checked, but it's not your DooM 2. I'll have to ask myself.

I want to help you but I don't do deepwater sectors so I don't really know what is wrong exactly. Sorry

1 minute ago, Dubbagdarrel said:

I want to help you but I don't do deepwater sectors so I don't really know what is wrong exactly. Sorry

I know for a fact I did it right, and the texture is fine, and I know that any version of ZDooM works. I don't know the problem.

I know for a fact I did it right, and the texture is fine, and I know that any version of ZDooM works. I don't know the problem.

Alright. Maybe it's just me.

2 hours ago, Charbomber said:

I made a deathmatch map because it's WAYY easier to make one than a regular map.

This is an insulting type of hubris exclusive to those who don't play or map for DM. This map would be 'nexted' in a rotation of human players every time. Weapons are super far from spawns, one of those spawns provides a chainsaw of all things, there are two plasma rifle 'secrets' in awkward spots that serve only to make it hard for the player without a RL or PR to equalize, and the layout is a line of small rooms joined at small doors. The rightmost room is useless. 

Bot DM is singleplayer with a smart monster AI; it doesn't tell you much. A human duel would consist of the advantaged, RL- or plasma-equipped player chaining frags against fresh spawns, and of stalemates at narrow doors, enforced by heavy-weapon spam the shotgun or chaingun couldn't dream of contesting. The DR door and narrow cubby at the second PR would make grabbing it a death sentence against a nimble player. This map is tiny for FFA, but the action would be similarly farcical. 

I'm sure you could make a mediocre singleplayer map of this size far more easily than you could a mediocre DM map (to be clear, mediocrity is a bar this map falls far short of).

If you are serious about dabbling in DM mapmaking, I'd recommend playing DM on ZDaemon or Zandronum and studying the layouts, for starters. Have a nice day.  

Spoiler

kw9W4Wy.png

Edited by rdwpa

I was getting the same issue as you, @Dubbagdarrel. The problem is coming from the "4: Fog effect (GZDoom only)" flag he has set on the 3D Floor action. I removed that flag and it appeared fine after that. The wiki says this about the flag:

'Fog' effect. Fills all 3D floor surfaces with solid color using control sector's fade color. Also tints the view when inside and below this 3D floor, depending on the lighting settings for the 3D floor. This flag is not implemented in the software renderer and currently produces undefined results!

Since he didn't actually add a Fade Color to the sector, the resulting visual was what you saw. I really have no idea how this didn't affect the visual on his end.

4 hours ago, RonnieJamesDiner said:

I was getting the same issue as you, @Dubbagdarrel. The problem is coming from the "4: Fog effect (GZDoom only)" flag he has set on the 3D Floor action. I removed that flag and it appeared fine after that. The wiki says this about the flag:

Since he didn't actually add a Fade Color to the sector, the resulting visual was what you saw. I really have no idea how this didn't affect the visual on his end.

oh ok good. I kinda felt bad cause I thought maybe I jumped to a conclusion and that there was a problem on my end.