Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Charbomber

I made a really hard wad

Alright, so one day (and by that I mean today) I was up, and I thought, "Hey, you know what I should do? I should make an invisible death maze in DooM using voodoo dolls." So that's what I did. You are in a laboratory, there is no visual queues, all you have is an invisible death maze and a very scared voodoo doll in a chamber behind you. To enter the Underhalls, you must get through. Good luck soldier.

The Maze.zip

Welp, people want screenshots, so I'll put them here.

1928753967_Maze1.png.cb8bac45d346cbbae86d8476ecdb428a.png

It's a room

233199244_maze2.png.9f203d0a8e9210e567865d71ff66a4ff.png

It's literally JUST a room.

1672273743_Maze3.png.31ae8ce6b2675087c9bf3b6e6af3e06c.png

Here's the voodoo doll room if you're interested for some reason but are too lazy to noclip out there.

More notes include that although this was TESTED on GZDooM, this should theoretically work on literally EVERYTHING because it just uses crushers and voodoo dolls. And same goes for game, tested in DooM 2, but I think the textures are also in DooM 1, so it's fine as long as you use a DooM game.

Edited by Charbomber : whoopsies x2

3 minutes ago, PeceMan said:

made a demo.

The Maze.rar

Too easy.

I am convinced that you either have no life or you cheated by editing the map and recording a demo of it.

Probably both.

I congratulate you either way though!

` god

or

` noclip

Done.

I mean, it's a fun idea. But if you're not going to put any effort into making visual or sound cues, or putting in death traps, I'm not putting in any effort either.

Edited by Jello

Could you update the post with any screenshots, and add more info on the wad overall? 

Edit: Actually... why did you even bother making and publishing this? This map couldn't have taken you more than 5 minutes to make.

12 minutes ago, xvertigox said:

Thank you, I always forget that post, and I will ALWAYS forget that post whenever I submit a wad.

Just now, Charbomber said:

I always forget that post, and I will ALWAYS forget that post whenever I submit a wad.

Don't if you want anyone to ever play your maps.

Just now, xvertigox said:

Don't if you want anyone to ever play your maps.

It's not like I forget on purpose, it's that I can never seem to remember that SPECIFIC one every single time I do (which has been like five times so far, and two of them were meme/terry wads I made when I was a dumb fuck so...).

I'll give you some actual feedback on this wad based on the screenshots and description.

1. I like that you're thinking out of the box and playing around with various effects.

2. An invisible death maze is a bad idea, there's no way for the player to know how to get through it without trial an error. There's 0 fun in that.

3. The map has no lighting differences in it, you could have made the 'death' part of the maze flicker or be darker or something.

4. No detailing, the map is just a square with nothing interesting in it. It's excessively boring.

This is basically a test/concept map that should not have been released as a standalone. You should use this explore gameplay concepts that you can later use. Invisible mazes suck, maybe make the damaging part lowered and use a nukeage flat.

I'll give you some actual feedback on this wad based on the screenshots and description.

1. I like that you're thinking out of the box and playing around with various effects.

2. An invisible death maze is a bad idea, there's no way for the player to know how to get through it without trial an error. There's 0 fun in that.

3. The map has no lighting differences in it, you could have made the 'death' part of the maze flicker or be darker or something.

4. No detailing, the map is just a square with nothing interesting in it. It's excessively boring.

This is basically a test/concept map that should not have been released as a standalone. You should use this explore gameplay concepts that you can later use. Invisible mazes suck, maybe make the damaging part lowered and use a nukeage flat.

I know. I didn't intend for the map to be fun. Y'know those Mario Maker stages people make where they try to make the stupidest combination lock? I tried to make something like that. Interesting, but stupid as hell. Also more decoration isn't happening because I suck at decoration as it is.

Just now, Charbomber said:

I know. I didn't intend for the map to be fun.

Then don't release it, what's the point at all if the map is not intended to be fun.

Also more decoration isn't happening because I suck at decoration as it is.

Then you need to practice. You can't expect to get better without trying. Outside of making purposefully shovelware style maps there is no niche that is barren of any detailing or effort.

Then don't release it, what's the point at all if the map is not intended to be fun.

Then you need to practice. You can't expect to get better without trying. Outside of making purposefully shovelware style maps there is no niche that is barren of any detailing or effort.

I like to think the map is more fun to look at in the editor? If that makes any sense. It was more of a test with voodoo dolls, and yeah I probably shouldn't of released it, but I thought it would be fun to see what people would make of it I guess???

1 minute ago, GarrettChan said:

Hmm, according to the screenshots, it feels not as fun as Chasm.

That’s a bit harsh, It’s not fair to compare Chasm to this.

Just now, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Well apart from the fact only 1 linedef was truly invisible, this was easy, mostly due to 1 rather stupidly obvious oversight. Auto-map. ._.

No? In my testing only one was visible, but only because you could tell from the automap not showing the lines behind it because you're facing in front of you.

bro... this is like.. sad... you have some potential, but instead you decide not to make it fun.....

here'simage.png.2f3a84a52d01e897cd44ae253305ce58.png a better idea, instead of a poopy invisible maze, it could be a layer of rooms (kinda like this one in the current map i'm making or something) you could explore a maze of rooms, each getting more dangerous, some containing traps in which the player may or may not escape.

please, try to put effort in your maps, i'm a complete newbie at this, but i don't want to put out some troll level.

You know something is wrong when way too many people are giving attention to a random guy saying he made "wow super hard wad" while others post more serious content and get straight up ignored. 

Btw I sense some really low quality bait in this topic and wad, so I'll pass and play something else, thank you.

3 hours ago, [Vitz!] said:

You know something is wrong when way too many people are giving attention to a random guy saying he made "wow super hard wad" while others post more serious content and get straight up ignored. 

Btw I sense some really low quality bait in this topic and wad, so I'll pass and play something else, thank you.

THANK YOU! Exactly what I've been thinking.

@[Vitz!] I wouldn't call him a troll. I'd rather not embarrass anyone, but I've seen him in Doom servers and from his posts he's clearly a very young fella. I'm sure he didn't mean any harm with this level.

3 hours ago, [Vitz!] said:

Btw I sense some really low quality bait in this topic and wad,

He's definitely not baiting, just an impatience person who is eager to release any playable thing he made.