Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheWolfman00001

Wolfman's Game-Play Modifications Merged (Final Version)

Hello there, and welcome to Wolfman's Game-play Modifications Merged! This mod aims to not only provide the best features of both the original and vanilla versions of Wolfman's Game-play Modifications, but it also fixes several bugs and issues with the original mods which negatively effected game-play such as balancing issues, bugs and glitches, graphics oddities etc. This mod's main goals are:

-Removing RNG from weapon and enemy damage, which makes game-play more consistent and fun.
-Buffing weapons in order to make them more powerful and viable, but not to the enormous extent that the original versions did.

-Adding new content such as weapons and power-ups for the purpose of providing more strategy to game-play as well as buffing certain items that were sub-par in their usage and utility previously.

-bug fixing and tweaking certain enemies in order to increase their viability in general game-play.

-Tweaking skill levels for the purpose of providing improved linear difficulty scaling.

Before I go into the specifics of the changes, I owe those of you reading this an explanation for my hiatus over the past few months. The unfortunate truth is that IRL stuff got in the way of development, as well as a month long break due to burnout and OCD affecting the quality of my work. I wanted to go back to the original and fix up the balance, but I realized that the main version of the mod was highly unbalanced and clogged with content that was not only unnecessary, but just downright badly designed (at least, in my opinion). I was not happy with the state of the mod, so I started from scratch and worked tirelessly in order to make sure that the balance, game-play changes, and additional content was both balanced and served a purpose for improving game-play, as well as fixing any bugs and glitches that existed in the original versions of the mod. With the explanation out of the way, I am happy to say that this will indeed be the final version, as I have no intention of working on the mod further and I am happy with the general state of it.

As usual, details of the specific changes as well as download links can be found below. Run this mod with the latest version of GZDoom with mouse-look enabled and don't load this mod with any mega-wads or game-play mods that tamper with weapons, enemies, items etc (Unless they replace the Commander Keen and Wolfenstein SS enemies, as they have not been touched by this mod). I also highly recommend playing this mod with the latest version of Vanilla Essence in order to get the classic Doom feel while playing.

Download Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GVNv_7GGcNJYXNct_NuMMXlKNZuR_Wpa/view?usp=sharing

Weapon Changes:

Spoiler

Pistol:

-Damage is 12 per shot (36 DPS)

-100% accurate

-Faster firing speed (Increased from 2 SPS (Shots per second) to 3)

Fist:
-Damage is 14 without berserk, 126 with berserk (28/252 DPS, Berserk damage is calculated by 9 times the normal fist damage)
-No auto-switch when grabbing a berserk pack from the environment

-Attack frame has been moved to the end of the wind-up animation for better attack input (The frame where the arm is the most outstretched)

Chainsaw:

-Damage is 14 per shot (168 DPS)

-Faster firing speed (Increased from 8.8 SPS to 12)

Shotgun:
-Fires 8 pellets, 7/8 of them deal 10 damage while the 8th deals 14 damage (84 DPS)

Chain-Gun:
-Damage is 22 per tap-fire (110 DPS)

-Faster firing speed (Increased from 8.8 SPS to 10)

-Accuracy increase (from 5.6 to 4.2)

Super Shotgun:

-Fires 22 pellets, 21/22 of them deal 10 damage while the 22nd deals 22 damage (232 DPS)

Rocket Launcher:
-Projectile damage is 236 (101 impact damage, 135 splash damage, splash damage has a full damage radius of 25% of the overall splash radius (32 FDR). 472 DPS)

-Faster firing speed (Increased from 1.8 SPS to 2, makes DPS more consistent)

Plasma Gun:
-Damage is 28 per plasma ball (336 DPS)

-Decreased cool-down (Reduced from 20 to 18)

BFG9000:
-Projectile damage is 800, tracer damage is 87 per tracer (3480 DPS, total DPS is 4280 when counting the projectile)

-Damage calculations are much different then the rest of the weaponry. As opposed to the overall damage being calculated by 70/80% of the overall max damage that any weapon could theoretically do under the new changes, the BFG9000 always deals 100% damage

Additional Features:
-All weapons have auto-aim disabled in order to increase their viability

-Fast weapon switching has been retained from the original versions of the mod, in order to increase viability of weapon combos as well as reducing the waiting time in combat

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Weapons:

Grenade Launcher:

The grenade launcher is one of the new weapons that this mod adds to Doom due to the strategic advantages it provides by being a source of indirect damage and area denial. The grenade launcher is designed to be similar to the rocket launcher in terms of DPS, but has differences in it's stats that differentiate its use from the rocket launcher during combat.

-Projectile damage is 236 (101 impact damage, 135 splash damage, splash damage has a full damage radius of 25% of the overall splash radius (32 FDR), 2 SPS, 472 DPS)

-Projectile works under the influence of gravity and has drop-off, can be both an advantage and a disadvantage as this causes grenades to have a limited range and be less accurate, but also allows you to fire grenades into areas that would be otherwise unreachable with a rocket

-Projectile speed is 25 (25% faster than a rocket) while in flight, but slows down when bouncing on the ground. This attribute can be useful for mitigating the effect that gravity has on the effective range of grenades by adjusting the vertical trajectory of your shots to maximize grenade airtime

-Projectiles have arming time, which causes grenades to be a good source of area denial when active. Arming time is also only registered when the grenade makes contact with the floor, so as long as the grenade is airborne it will never automatically detonate

-Projectiles can bounce off all surfaces, which is greatly useful for blind firing around corners, or for artificially extending the arming time of grenades by bouncing them off the floor when firing them

-Grenade Launchers have a 50% chance to spawn over Rocket Launchers and use the same ammo

TL:DR: The rocket launcher is better for direct combat and crowd control, while the grenade launcher is better for indirect combat and area denial.

Pulse Rifle:

The pulse rifle is one of the new weapons that this mod adds to Doom due to the strategic advantages it provides as a long range sniping weapon. The pulse rifle is designed to be similar to the plasma gun in terms of DPS, but has differences in it's stats that differentiate its use from the plasma gun during combat.

-Projectile damage is 112 (3 SPS, 336 DPS, costs 4 cells per shot)

-Projectile speed is 50 (double the speed of a regular plasma ball), this allows the pulse rifle to act as a projectile based sniper rifle that allows you to deal reliable DPS at longer ranges

-Said projectile speed also helps greatly with general sharpshooting from any range, or when dealing with airborne targets that are prone to damage knockback (such as caco-demons and pain elementals)

-Has burst damage capability, which when combined with its relatively high rate of fire can cause the pulse rifle to act as an automatic shotgun of sorts in times of crisis and desperation, at the cost of having poor crowd control capability 

-Said burst damage capability also causes the pulse rifle to generally be a better investment on enemies with higher HP, and a worse investment on enemies with low HP, which causes the pulse rifle to potentially be ammo inefficient if not used properly

-Pulse Rifles have a 50% chance to spawn over Plasma Guns and use the same ammo

TL:DR: The plasma gun is better for close range crowd control and ammo conservation, the pulse rifle is better for long range sharpshooting and burst damage capability.

Super Chain-Gun:

The super chain-gun is one of the new weapons that this mod adds to doom due to the strategic advantages it provides as a mid-tier crowd control weapon that draws its ammo pool from the players bullet reserve. The super chain-gun is designed to be the super shotguns competitor, and as such it improves upon a couple of the weaknesses of the super shotgun itself while introducing a few of its own.

-Damage is 48 per tap-fire (Fires 2 pellets per shot with each pellet dealing 12 damage but costing 2 bullets per shot, 10 SPS, 240 DPS)

-Horizontal pellet spread is 8.4, while vertical pellet spread is 3.55. This causes the super chain-gun to technically be more accurate than the super shotgun at range, but it's still highly inaccurate, and as such it is recommended to use the super chain-gun at close/medium range in order to maximize damage output (100% accurate tap-firing is also non-existent with the super chain-gun, further decreasing its accuracy potential)

-Possesses stream based damage output, which when combined with it's high DPS and the increased amount of pellets being fired (compared to a regular chain-gun) causes the super chain-gun to be much more effective at low/mid tier crowd control and stunlocking than the super shotgun

-The super chain-guns weaknesses lie in its ammo consumption as well as the limited ammo pool that it draws from, which causes the super shotgun to be a more versatile choice in general because of it's plentiful ammo pool as well as its high burst damage capability

-The super chain-guns ammo consumption can also be a detriment when dealing with low tier targets, as doing so is generally ammo inefficient as well as wasteful due to their low health pools

-Super Chain-Guns have a 50% chance to spawn over Chain-Guns and use the same ammo

TL:DR: The super chain-gun is better for low/mid tier crowd control and stunlocking as long as you have enough ammo, the super shotgun is better due to its versatility and plentiful ammo pool.

Enemy Changes:

Spoiler

Notice: Damage numbers assume you are playing on Ultra-Violence (Since Ultra-Violence contains an unmodified damage factor of 1) and does not take into account any of the other skill levels, which all modify the amount of damage you take from enemy attacks.

Zombie-Men:

-Damage is 11 per pellet

-A_Chase frame reduced from 4 to 3 (Bug-fix from vanilla doom)

Shotgun-Guy:

-Damage is 11 per pellet (Fires 3 pellets, dealing a total of 33 DPS if all pellets connect)

Chain-Gunner:

-Damage is 11 per pellet

Imp:

-Projectile/Melee damage is 18

Demon:

-Melee damage is 30

-Movement and attack speed increased by 25% (from 10 to 12.5 for movement, from 8 to 6 for attack)

Spectre:

-Same stats as Demon but partially invisible

Lost Soul:

-Melee damage is 18

-Health decrease (From 100 to 50)

-A_Chase frame reduced from 6 to 3 (Makes the lost soul more aggressive and fast)

Pain Elemental:

-Attack speed increased by 20% (from 5 to 4 across the board, this is mainly to compensate for each lost soul's lower health bar and decreased area denial capability)

Caco-Demon:

-Projectile damage is 30, Melee damage is 45

Hell Knight:

-Projectile damage is 48, Melee damage is 60

Baron Of Hell:

-Attack behavior modified: Baron's of hell now throw out fireballs and melee attacks in volleys of 2 per attack, doubling it's theoretical DPS as well as increasing it's aggressiveness and immediate threat level. Otherwise works exactly the same as a vanilla baron of hell.

Revenant:

-Projectile damage is 60, Melee damage is 45

Arch-Vile:

-Arch-Vile flame damage is 90 (attack is entirely hitscan based, and the splash damage and radius were unfortunately removed due to the way in which A_VileAttack is coded, this indirectly makes the Arch-Vile more dangerous but shouldn't affect general game-play too much overall)

Mancubus:

-Projectile damage is 48 (96 DPS per volley)

Arachnotron:

-Projectile damage is 30

-Radius decreased from 64 to 40 (37.50% decrease), Height decreased from 64 to 56 (12.50% decrease)

Spider-Mastermind:

-Damage is 11 per pellet (fires 3 pellets, dealing a total of 33 DPS if all pellets connect)

-Health increase (From 3000 to 4000)

-Radius decreased from 128 to 80 (37.50% decrease)

Cyber-Demon:

-Projectile damage is 216 (88 Impact damage, 128 Splash damage, Splash damage has a full damage radius of 25% of the overall splash radius (32 FDR). 648 DPS per volley)

-Rockets fire out of the Cyber-Demon's arm cannon as opposed to in-between his legs (Cosmetic Fix, does not affect game-play)

Icon Of Sin/John Romero Head:

-Health increase (From 250 to 300, this is mainly to prevent the rocket launcher from 2-shotting the icon of sin during game-play)

Additional Note: Wolfenstein SS and Commander Keen enemies are unmodified because they are not part of doom's roster of enemies, and to keep compatability with megawads that replace them with other enemies.

Item and Difficulty Changes:

Spoiler

Health Bonus:
-Health gained upon pick-up increased from 1 to 2

Armor Bonus:

-Armor gained upon pick-up increased from 1 to 2

Bullet Ammo:

-Increased max amount by 240 without backpack, 480 with backpack.

-Increased bullet ammo gained from weapon and item pick-ups according to the new max values (clips drop 12/6 ammo, weapons drop 24/12 ammo, bullet boxes drop 60 ammo, backpacks drop 12 ammo, Player starts with 60 bullets upon pistol start)

NEW ITEM: The Super Armor!

Replacing the regular armor 50% of the time, this armor set grants you 150 armor on pick-up and blocks 41.6675% of all damage you take (the overall damage resistance is between the green armor and the mega armor).

NEW POWER-UP: The GuardSphere!

Replacing the partial invisibility sphere, this power-up increases your defense by 33.3%. On its own, the GuardSphere doesn't help much, but when stacked with armor of any kind it can allow you to take high amounts of damage that would prove to be fatal otherwise. Power-up lasts for 60 seconds.

NEW POWER-UP: The DoomSphere!

Replacing the Light Amplification Visor, this rare power-up multiplies the damage output of all your weapons by 3x their normal amount. This power-up is capable of turning even the most feeble weapons in your arsenal into powerful killing machines. Power-up lasts for 30 seconds.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Skill Level Changes:

I'm Too Young To Die:

-Damage factor decreased (from 0.50 to 0.40)

Hey, Not Too Rough:

-Damage factor decreased (from 1 to 0.60)

Hurt Me Plenty:

-Damage factor decreased (from 1 to 0.80)

Ultra-Violence:

-Unchanged

Nightmare:

-Ammo factor reduced (from 2 to 1)

-Respawning enemies has been removed, and has been replaced by a damage factor increase (from 1 to 1.335) 

Credits:

Spoiler

Grenade Launcher:

-Attained resource from realm667

-Submitted: Ghastly_dragon
-Decorate: The Skulltag Team
-GLDefs: The Skulltag Team
-Sprites: The Skulltag Team
-Sounds: The Skulltag Team

GuardSphere:

-Submitted: Ghastly_dragon
-Decorate: The Skulltag Team
-GLDefs: The Skulltag Team
-Sprites: The Skulltag Team

DoomSphere:

-Submitted: Ghastly_dragon
-Decorate: The Skulltag Team
-GLDefs: The Skulltag Team
-Sprites: The Skulltag Team

Heavy Armor:

-Submitted: Captain Toenail
-Decorate: Captain Toenail
-GLDefs: Captain Toenail
-Sounds: No
-Sprites: Id Software
-Sprite Edit: Captain Toenail

Stunner Rifle:

-Submitted: Ghastly_dragon
-Decorate: Tormentor667
-GLDefs: Keksdose
-Sprites: Eriance, Raven Software
-Sounds: Raven Software

Heavy Chain-Gun:

-Submitted: Z86
-Decorate: Z86
-Sounds: Raven Software (Quake 4)
-Sprites: Eriance
-Sprite Edit: Z86 (In-between frames)

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Notice: All images were taken while running the mod in Vanilla Essence.

5huUhAn.png

Vanguard, Map 12

SufpTH6.png

Sunlust, Map 12

Nt0Z48e.png

Hellbound, map 28

Myd07CW.png

Back to saturn x Episode 2, Map 13

Edited by TheWolfman00001

In the meantime, I would like to issue a request for playtesters to try out the mod and give their opinions on the mod's quality as well as critique about ways that it can be improved. In the event that I make another mod (which I probably will) the advice will definitely help the quality of my work and I would like to make the best mods that I can for the doom community. Besides that I hope all of you reading this enjoy the mod and have a great day!

I'm gonna try this out with some slaughter content, seems like it would be a nice edge on the damage output for that type of gameplay (And I'm very bad at it, lol)

4 hours ago, guitardz said:

I'm gonna try this out with some slaughter content, seems like it would be a nice edge on the damage output for that type of gameplay (And I'm very bad at it, lol)

Nice, in general the mod should help with making Doom game-play more consistent and fun, but that also means that the damage output of enemies will be consistently punishing if you don't play skillfully. If you aren't the most skilled player I would highly suggest that you try out easier megawads before getting into the more punishing megawads

I'm not the most skilled, but I like a bit of a challenge.  I can play things like Ancient Aliens difficulty on UV without help, but when it comes to actual slaughter stuff, I'm not good at all.  I have been looking for a weapon mod I can use to give me more of an edge but not make me feel super over-powered for that kind of content.  I was using a version of @Doomkid's Power Gun mod that I edited a bit (Changed the BFG graphics back to BFG graphics for one thing, lol)

I just played around with both this and your abandoned version of this mod and tweaked the weapon decorate of the older one to not include any of the new guns and removed the monster decorate completely.  The guns feel a lot more beefy and i think this is exactly what I've been wanting.  I can send you the tweaked version I made if you want to check it out.  (It's for personal use and I don't plan to distribute it.)

8 hours ago, guitardz said:

I'm not the most skilled, but I like a bit of a challenge.  I can play things like Ancient Aliens difficulty on UV without help, but when it comes to actual slaughter stuff, I'm not good at all.  I have been looking for a weapon mod I can use to give me more of an edge but not make me feel super over-powered for that kind of content.  I was using a version of @Doomkid's Power Gun mod that I edited a bit (Changed the BFG graphics back to BFG graphics for one thing, lol)

I just played around with both this and your abandoned version of this mod and tweaked the weapon decorate of the older one to not include any of the new guns and removed the monster decorate completely.  The guns feel a lot more beefy and i think this is exactly what I've been wanting.  I can send you the tweaked version I made if you want to check it out.  (It's for personal use and I don't plan to distribute it.)

Meh, I am not particularly interested in downloading any mods at the moment (mainly because I already have too many lol), but it's nice to know that you have been enjoying my mod :D

Just released a quick update with some last minute changes that I thought would improve the viability of a few enemies across the board, here are the details:

-Increased the movement speed of Demons and Spectres by 25% (from 10 to 12.5). Won't change too much about fighting them but this change makes it easier for them to box you in and overwhelm you in groups

-Decreased the radius of the Arachnotron by 37.50% (from 64 to 40) and decreased it's height by 12.50% (from 64 to 56). These changes are both meant to improve their hitboxes as well as provide them with more mobility potential that they sorely lacked in vanilla

-Decreased the radius of Spider Masterminds by 37.50% (from 128 to 80) for the same reasons as mentioned for the Arachnotron

Well, that's all from me. I hope you all enjoy the new changes as well as enjoy playing the mod :D

Just released another quick update that has some more changes that I thought would be helpful to enemy viability. Here are the details:

-Increased the attack speed of Demons and Spectres by 25% (from 8 to 6). They now move and attack 25% faster overall increasing their threat level by a moderate margin

-Modified the Baron Of Hell's attack behavior. It now throws out fireballs and melee attacks in volleys of 2 per attack, increasing it's immediate threat level and DPS by a significant degree (and also differentiating it from a regular hell knight)

-Increased the pain elemental's attack speed by 20%. This is mainly to compensate for the lower health and area denial capability of the lost soul post-rework by allowing the pain elemental to pump out lost souls faster

That's all for now. I hope you all enjoy the new enemy changes as well as playing the mod :D

Just released another update which adds a new power-up and reworks some of the skill levels in order for them to have improved linear difficulty scaling. Here are the details:

-Added the doomsphere: a power-up that multiplies your weapon's damage output by 3x their normal amount and lasts 30 seconds. Replaces the light amplification visor.

-Added decreased damage factors for both Hey, Not Too Rough and Hurt Me Plenty skill levels, and improved the description of Nightmare to better explain its reworks (Nightmare remains unchanged).

That's all for now. I hope you all enjoy the new game-play changes as well as enjoy playing the mod :D

Just released a quick update which slightly reworks damage factor scaling between the skill levels. Here are the details:

-I'm Too Young To Die damage factor decreased (from 0.50 to 0.40)

-Hey, Not Too Rough damage factor decreased (from 0.70 to 0.60)

-All other skill levels remain unchanged

That's all from me. I hope you all enjoy the changes that this update brings :D