Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tartlman

Megawad of the decade?

As 2020 draws near, I suppose we should look back at all of the great megawads of the decade.

Personally, i'm split between Ancient Aliens and Eviternity, but I think that Ancient Aliens is better for having (in my opinion) better designed combat.

That's a tie between AA and Sunlust for me.

There's been lost of good stuff coming out this decade for sure, but these 2 really stood out from the crowd IMO. I would've also put Eviternity there but I have to agree, combat was definitely better in AA.

I'm still less than halfway through AA. It's pretty good so far overall but I preferred the diversity in theme more in Eviternity

Ancient Aliens

2010 - Epic 2 #8

2011 - Doom the Way id Did #6
2012 - Base Ganymede: Complete #4
2013 - Doom 2 the Way Id Did #10
2014 - Nova: The Birth #7
2015 - Valiant #9
2016 - Ancient Aliens #1
2017 - TNT: Revilution #3
2018 - REKKR #5
2019 - HocusDoom #2

Best Ultimate Doom megawad: No End in Sight, honestly nothing really comes close to this, not even the DTWIDs, loads of innovative stuff for what it held.

Best Vanilla Doom 2 megawad: Probably BTSXE1 (was Epic 2 vanilla-compat? can't recall if it was), most vanilla wads were decent but then again a lot weren't that great.

Best Doom 2 megawad: Eviternity, I love Ancient Aliens for all the good stuff but Eviternity just did what it did and better.

Best full TC: Golden Souls 2

If Avactor counts, then it's that one for me. If not, Ancient Aliens for sure. Skillsaw is the best of the best.

Nice to see so much consensus on Ancient Aliens; sometimes I worry that it's mastery has gotten a bit buried under the constant waves of "the next big thing."

My personal favorite megawad is ALT, which is from the 2010s, but that's kind of a class of its own, an orange in an apple orchard if you will. More generally speaking, I would agree with AA.

Firstly I'd like to say that it is Sunlust, and additionally I'd like to add that it is not Ancient Aliens or Eviternity. Merry Christmas everyone.

It's so hard to pick between the AMAZING multiplayer megawads released this decade..

https://www.doomworld.com/22years/multi.php

https://www.doomworld.com/23years/multi.php

https://www.doomworld.com/24years/multi.php

https://www.doomworld.com/cacowards/2019/multi/

All worthwhile contenders. I'd have to pick Don't Be a Bitch overall, though. dbab01 is the perfect newschool map.

I really want to say Back To Saturn X Episode 2: Tower in the Fountain of Sparks, but it's technically not finished, so not sure if it can really count or not. Ancient Aliens is also a good contender for me.

3 minutes ago, Firedust said:

are you guys planning on doing a decade special at some point? Like for the next year's cacowards?

I doubt it. 25 Years of Doom was big enough. I, for one, need a break.

One of the only recent memory ones that comes to mind for me is Golden Souls 1 or 2. I have yet to beat 2 but 1 was nothing short of a masterpiece. It's rare to see anyone implement a good amount of platforming into their wad.

I absolutely love the Doom the Way Id Did series and it's a big inspiration to me when it comes to ideas for mapping but Back to Saturn X Episode 1 is definitely the most important. I still remember the first time loading it and how much I was blown away by the new assets and level design, and how I couldn't stop thinking about it after beating it. 

3 hours ago, Grain of Salt said:

Firstly I'd like to say that it is Sunlust, and additionally I'd like to add that it is not Ancient Aliens or Eviternity. Merry Christmas everyone.

Now u have done it.

Ancient Aliens - Skillsaw took what he did with Valiant and made something even better.

Sunlust - The epitomises the slaughter genre perfectly.

Both I feel are the pinnacle of megawads this decade.

I have never gotten over my first flush of love for BTSX E1. The ending aboard The Unsinkable Fats Domino is one I'll never forget. :)

IMO: Valiant>Ancient Aliens because of the thematic variety, more consistenty achieved without having guest maps (even though AA guest maps are quite awesome) and best lineup of custom monsters so far.

Edited by JDR

There are so many to choose from. Ancient Aliens, Vanguard (I think it was this decade, anyway), BTSX E1, Sunlust and Eviternity are my personal contenders.