Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tartlman

Megawad of the decade?

2 hours ago, Firedust said:

But E2 is clearly better.

EDIT: Wait, did we have this conversation before?

We'll have to disagree on this one, but I'd have a beer with you anyway. ;)

I'm surprised nobody mentioned  Speed of Doom released in 2010 which is for me the precursor of "modern" megawads.

Man, I need to seriously catch up. I haven't played anything (except DTWiD) here at all! Not even Eviternity! Shameful. I'm fairly certain the only megawad I've played - though not finished - this decade is Sunlust.

Speed of doom or sunlust. Sunder is one of the more influential works too, guess this one counts too.

I have not played that much, but I do feel regardless of what I go on to play, Doom the Way Id Did would be my choice for some of the reasons already stated, and honestly I kind of prefer close to vanilla work. 

Best Vanilla UD Megawad: Rekker/NEIS and i think Sinergy/UDTWID are a close call.

Best Limit-Removing UD Megawad: Lunar Catastrophe is somewhat the only one out there... oh and Deatless by Jimmy, in the last years.

(If Matt had completed Return to Hadron, that would be the BEST without doubt)

Not much love for UD in general, but really good amount of it in the last years (Nihilty, Alpha Accident, Base Ganymede)

Just think that there are no (as far as i know) Boom/MBF megawad for UD... Shamelessly (EDIT: Actually, yes, just a Boom one: Vengeance by Paul Fleschute)

Best Vanilla D2/TNT/PL Megawad: BTSXE1/BTSXE2/TNT: Revilution are #1. BTSX totally changed the way of thinking about how to handle things and make them good. And Revilution is a product of that way of thinking, like it or not. But EPIC 2, well that is something that excells any team achievement. So EPIC 2, without doubt. And Reverie is the close call.

Best Limit Removing D2/TNT/PL Megawad: Struggle: Antaresian Legacy is the best without doubt. But Nova II: The New Dawn /JPCP are close call, too.

BEST Boom/MBF D2/TNT/PL megawad: Valiant, Sunlust, Ancient Alien, Eviternity... they are all perfect, but maybe too perfect, too coreographed. The best one for me is A.L.T. without doubt. I seek the sense of wonder when i play wads, and A.L.T. have that covered in all: outstanding story, outstanding maps, outstanding ideas, and an experience that exceed the proper ''Doom'' experience. All that megawad previously mentioned kept it and don't deviate from it. Going Down is the only contender to A.L.T.

Best vanilla/limit-removing/boom/mbf Hacx megawad: none, shamelessly.

Best vanilla Heretic megawad: is there a proper port for playing Heretic as the developers intended, something as Chocolate Heretic? i know Crispy Heretic, but that limit-removing. No? So no vanilla Heretic megawad. (are vanilla Heretic/Hexen designed properly for freelook?)

Best limit removing/boom/mbf Heretic megawad: same as above as Heretic and Hexen where somewhat forgoten in the evolution of the source-ports(thanks to Raven software for not properly releasing the source-code) and where saved from oblivion thanks to ZDoom. In that case, Masters of Chaos for Heretic, and Serpent: Resurrection for Hexen.

Best original game in Doom sourceport: Rekker, The Adventures of Square, Simon's Destiny. I really wish to see a proper vanilla Harmony of 32 maps.

All in all, ten good years for the Doom community around the world.

Edited by P41R47

Been turning this question over in my head for a while now.

I think I’d have to put Pirate Doom at my definitive #1 spot for megawads released this decade. Surprised no one else has even mentioned it.

I last properly played it in 2016 and yet I remember almost everything about it. There are no other (non-deathmatch) megawads from this decade where I can recall each map at a moments notice, vividly. It left the most lasting impression on me and was oozing with personality, alongside the stunning visuals and high fun-factor. The whole thing came together beautifully for a damn near perfect experience.

Edited by Doomkid

On 12/21/2019 at 10:16 AM, P41R47 said:

Best vanilla Heretic megawad: is there a proper port for playing Heretic as the developers intended, something as Chocolate Heretic? i know Crispy Heretic, but that limit-removing. No? So no vanilla Heretic megawad. (are vanilla Heretic/Hexen designed properly for freelook?)

If you mean is there a Chocolate Heretic and Chocolate Hexen, yes.  Define proper freelook though?  Chocolate doesn't support mouselook unless I overlooked it last time I checked, just keyboard looking like the DOS versions.

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

I think I’d have to put Pirate Doom at my definitive #1 spot for megawads released this decade. Surprised no one else has even mentioned it.

I think a lot of people, myself included, only think of full replacements when someone says Megawad. If we went by the 15 map minimum not only would Pirate Doom easily be my megawad of the decade, I'd go so far as to call it my favorite wad ever made.

17 hours ago, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

If you mean is there a Chocolate Heretic and Chocolate Hexen, yes.  Define proper freelook though?  Chocolate doesn't support mouselook unless I overlooked it last time I checked, just keyboard looking like the DOS versions.

Yes, as you say, there is A Chocolat Heretic and Chocolate Hexen ports, but i read they are somewhat dated and don't implement the rudimentary freelook that was one of the enhancement the Heretic and Hexen code had in them.
Anyway, its better than nothing. I wish there would be a proper Hehacked and Hexen deh for modern OS, like WhackED is for Dehacked, as i always thought that it would be great to make vanilla total conversions  or rebalances for this games like Not Jabba did with The Wayfarer mod.

11 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

Yes, as you say, there is A Chocolat Heretic and Chocolate Hexen ports, but i read they are somewhat dated and don't implement the rudimentary freelook that was one of the enhancement the Heretic and Hexen code had in them.
Anyway, its better than nothing. I wish there would be a proper Hehacked and Hexen deh for modern OS, like WhackED is for Dehacked, as i always thought that it would be great to make vanilla total conversions  or rebalances for this games like Not Jabba did with The Wayfarer mod.

What?  Chocolate Heretic and Chocolate Hexen should implement pretty much everything the vanilla .EXEs implemented.  They might be slightly less developed than Chocolate Doom but not in any way you'd casually notice.  What they don't do is add any ZDoom type stuff.

As for hack utilities, yeah, HHE is pretty bad and the Hexen hacker that's out there is even worse.  A replacement might come, but bear in mind that there are a lot more weird "innate" attributes in Heretic and Hexen compared to Doom that could complicate things.

9 minutes ago, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

What?  Chocolate Heretic and Chocolate Hexen should implement pretty much everything the vanilla .EXEs implemented.  They might be slightly less developed than Chocolate Doom but not in any way you'd casually notice.  What they don't do is add any ZDoom type stuff.

As for hack utilities, yeah, HHE is pretty bad and the Hexen hacker that's out there is even worse.  A replacement might come, but bear in mind that there are a lot more weird "innate" attributes in Heretic and Hexen compared to Doom that could complicate things.

Yeah i know they don't do Zdoom type of stuff. I never have the oportunity to try if vanilla Hexen or Heretic had up and down mouse look, but i only found the option to look up or down in Chocolate Heretic via a key, not mouse. So i don't know if vanilla allowed that.

I only seriously started playing Doom wads this year (wait, i mean last year... happy new year!), so my knowledge of the wads released in the last decade (or ever, for that matter) is rather limited. Besides, my relative lack of skill will make it impossible for me to enjoy certain wads that I am sure are very well designed. With all these caveats, my clear pick for megawad of the decade is Doom 2 the Way ID Did.

D2TWID is just so well designed. It starts out strong and just gets better with every level. I can't even begin to comprehend the amount of knowledge that had to be gathered in order to so faithfully resemble the original AND being well designed in its own right. It just nails the whole "like the IWAD, but tighter and a bit more difficult" schtik, and it's uncanny how much individual maps resemble a specific Doom 2 map without being a straight copy.

But the most important reason that this is my favourite megawad is that it allowed me to experience Doom 2 for the first time, a second time. Back in the day, teenage me played exclusively with cheats. I just wanted to shoot the evil things with my machine gun and feel like an 80s/90s action movie hero, and what better way to achieve that than with godmode and infinite ammo? Only when I revisited the game last year (by which I mean 2018... writing this on new year's day was a bad idea) was I able to appreciate Doom the way it was intended. But even though much time had passed and I didn't remember most details, the maps still felt familiar, and I was remembering layouts and traps as I was playing. I didn't have that problem with Doom 1, as I don't seem to have played it as much back then as I did Doom 2. So D2TWID gave me the opportunity to have that first experience of Doom 2 with all the excitement and uncertainty which come with discovery, an experience I missed out on because of my teenage power fantasies. And for that it will always have a special place in my heart