Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker is a bad movie

14 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

Me three ;)

Also Episode 3 is my favourite too (especially love the Obi Wan vs Anakin fight).

That's my favourite bit too. Very well crafted scene. Episode III is a fine example of how to round off a trilogy.

Sorry for the double post there. Not sure whats happened , I did quote both for one post. My bad.

It was to be expected. I knew this trilogy was going to have a bad ending, it was very obvious since episode seven is a more dull version of "A New Hope". I don't blame the cast, the sound engineers nor the CGI team. It was simply bad writing and poorly executed.

TFA being derivative wasn't really bad. It was the first SW film in 11 years and the first to follow ROTJ in story, so they had to reintroduce the franchise in an accessible easy manner. A New Hope is one of the better executions of the Monomyth in popular culture, of course TFA was going to go for a similar approach. 

On another note, this is my tier list. Solo isn't here because I have zero interest in seeing it. 

1. A New Hope

2. Empire Strikes Back

3. The Last Jedi

4. The Force Awakens

5. Return of the Jedi

6. Revenge of the Sith
7. The Phantom Menace 

8. Rogue One

9. Rise of Skywalker

10. Attack of the Clones

I haven't watched EP9 yet but from the ones that I have watched, I rate them as follows:

1. Revenge of the Sith

2. Empire Strikes Back

3. Return of the Jedi

4. Rogue One

5. The Phantom Menace

6. A New Hope

7. Attack of the Clones

8. The Force Awakens

9. The Last Jedi

PREQUELS

1. Phantom Menace (the only one that approaches a watchable movie)

2. Revenge of the Sith (box-checking extravaganza)

3. Attack of the Clones (pointless CGI kiddie garbage)

ORIGINALS

1. Empire (duh)

2. ANH (by default)

3. Return of the Jedi (ewoks boring, satisfying climax seems increasingly miraculous)

SEQUELS

1. The Last Jedi (lots of stuff wrong with it but it had a vision at least)

2. The Force Awakens (serviceable xeroxed fanwank)

3. The Rise of Skywalker (unwatchable cynical corporate dross)

Empire >>>> The Last Jedi > Phantom Menace

A New Hope >>> The Force Awakens >> Revenge of the Sith

Return of the Jedi >>>>>>>> Attack of the Clones > Rise of Skywalker

Seeing people rating The Last Jedi above The Rise of Skywalker does not bode well for my cinema trip! Although I do have free tickets, so not going to be out of pocket.

@Linguica In relation to your Avatar, i believe i've seen Karl Urban been credited for additional voice acting in the ending credits of Star Wars 9.

:)

Greetings

Funduke

1. The Empire Strikes Back

2. A New Hope

3. Return of the Jedi

4. Revenge of the Sith

5. The Force Awakens

6. The Phantom Menace

7. Solo

8. Rogue One

9. Attack of the Clones

10. The Rise of Skywalker

11. The Last Jedi

1. The Two Towers

2. Fellowship of the Ring

3. Return of the King

4. Desolation of Smaug

5. Battle of the Five Armies

6. An Unexpected Journey

Oh whoops, sorry, wrong franchise.

I don't actually know Star Wars very well, but it sucks to hear that Disney is leaving its legacy in such a tumultuous state. Despite some people actually enjoying these new films, it's a shame to see so much of the fanbase this disgruntled. I wonder how young children feel about these films, as I can imagine they were (at least somewhat) a target audience. IIRC the sale of Star Wars toys/merchandise were the biggest source of cash for this franchise.

Well I heard something about lesbian romantic relationship(it happened even in Undertale) in remake of Return of The Jedi called The Rise of Skywalker. I guess George Lucas has now nightmares what Disney made with movie that he originally created.

I didn't hate it. It was alright. I just hated how the lightsaber fight scene between Rey and Kylo Ren on the broken wreckage in the sea was shot. Like, why the hell were the shots so close? Also, that D-O droid looks almost exactly like a robot character I drew back in elementary school years ago. I called him Speedy Bot.

Spoiler

Oh yeah, that kiss. ...Umm, it feels like that the filmmakers did that so they could finally shut the annoying Kylo/Rey shippers up for good. "They kissed! YOU HAPPY NOW?!"

Anyways, if you want to watch a good Adam Driver movie, watch Marriage Story instead.

Edited by Lizardcommando

Too much jedi/sith hocuspocus in a very bullshitty way. All characters faded to the point where they are totally bland. Many logical errors, and sometimes the different scenes doesn't shift into each other, the cuts felt often rather hard. The movie had a total bad feeling for the right timing. I am not going as far as to say its total garbage, but it is disappointing with the anti-climactic ending.

Out of they Disney SW movies, only Rogue One was really good, aside from some mediocre CGI (they have done no favor for Peter Cushing). The rest is rather low to mediocre. Even though i must admit, that i like the final trilogy more than the prequel trilogy.

1 hour ago, luke11685 said:

Do you think Disney will reboot Star Wars prequels?

Reboot them for what? There's nothing else to tell I think, main movies story-wise I mean. What had to be told before the events of SW IV is all said and done.

This new trilogy was, for me, underwhelming. Granted I still liked it anyway, but the way it ended was not nice at all, I didn't expect to see Ren killed off so soon - and I wonder, in the future, what his spirit is going to look like. Is he going to revert to being a Jedi, or is it going to stay a Sith? If the story of Anakin was any indication, probably Jedi. It started promising, but compared to the beginning, it ended on a low note, with pretty hard cuts between scenes in Rise. Welp, better luck next time I guess. Out of the new SW movies, I gotta agree Rogue One was the best by far though. Solo, I have not seen, yet.

On 12/23/2019 at 7:00 PM, Grain of Salt said:

Congrats, you managed to write something stupider than the current star war film.

I have generally been reluctant to express my distaste and frustration for the newest Star Wars trilogy for fear of being lumped in with those people who seem like they would have gladly watched the Holiday Special and asked for seconds if it was racist, sexist, and queerphobic enough.

I watched it the other night. The entire first half was abysmally directed. I was glad they actually took the time to create something that begged for any kind of investment into Rey as a character, but too little too late. These revelations should have been revealed during the first film and built upon from there. 

The whole sequel trilogy has been a fumble. The directionless execution, one dimensional characters, needless injection of ham-fisted cultural commentary in a space opera with Muppets, back-peddeling to appease the hardcore fans with plotlines lifted verbatim from the original trilogy, and the butchery of mainline characters for the sake of demanding the focus on a new cast that nobody cares about.

That being said, with 40 years of passionate fan investment behind the series, it would be impossible to create an extension of the series without heavy backlash. Star Wars is a hot potato and Disney just isn't up to the task of handling it in a way that will appease old fans or generate the kind of buzz the originals did four decades ago.

1 hour ago, Armaetus said:

The critics have TRASHED the movie, even they're not happy with it..

They're not happy with anything these days tho.

10 minutes ago, seed said:

They're not happy with anything these days tho.

That isn't true. The overwhelming majority of movies and TV shows on the front page at the moment have fresh ratings. Anyways, I thought critics were way too soft on the movie in general. It deserves a far lower rating than 55%

I watched ending of ninth Star Wars movie and Kylo Ren's death makes no sense rey killed him and then healed him after that he died(I'm glad J.J.Abrams never directed Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets).That aquatic scenery is looking like rip-off of scenery from Star Wars Revenge of The Sith. 

The film was great and worth watching. Nothing major but very action packed and dramatic. Definitely much better than Star Wars 8 which was all so awkward and left a bitter taste. This one was an awesome ending to the saga! Hopefully Disney/Lucasfilm will continue pumping out sequels, but I hope they become more daring with the writing, as they have a tendency to reuse their classic characters and assets to oblivion. And anyway this has always been the problem, not just since Disney…

Ok, so I watched the film yesterday and have had time to process my thoughts on it.

The positives:

I wasn't bored like in the last film, so that was a good start. It was very action packed although it all felt pretty flat and poorly coordinated, but entertaining none the less. The special effects and music were spot on. C3PO was actually funny.

So, that's the positives out the way. 

Character wise, it's standard unlikeable characters. Rey is ok and even Kylo is better this time around, but the rest are dreadful. Rose might as well of not been in the film, Finn is just annoying and Poe Dameron while being slightly less obnoxious this time around is still a mixed bag. 

The story line to this film (and the previous 2) is complete bollocks really. I find it amusing that the one thing Anakin couldn't do which sent him over the edge, both rey and kylo can do easy enough.. I mean let's just heal everything.. it's all good.

When chewie died, my misses started crying and then to our surprise he was actually on a different ship. That whole scene was awful, I mean how did the heros not notice at least 2 new order transports just round the corner and … fuck it, I'm just going to forget that scene.

The Sith wayfinder I thought was on the Tie Interceptor that Rey cut the wing off and hence would have blown up when it crashed. But I'm probably nit picking there.

The final battle was dreadful really, those star destroyers should have been blowing the shit out of everything and the fleet that turns up at the end should have been reduced to scrap. The red storm troopers had no screen time, although looked pretty effective for the 10 seconds I saw them.

The Rey Vs Palpatine thing, well I was cool with Rey being a palpatine but the story could have taken a different path which would have made that movie a lot better. I was willing her on to cut the old bastard down, get the minxy black robes and red lightsabre and rule the galaxy as Empress!! But no, it's Disney.

So the film is pretty bollocks really, it is entertaining first time around although I would not recommend paying to watch it. Wait till it's on sky/Netflix whatever.

As a Star Wars fan I do have to say that this latest trilogy has done nothing for the story line, we are back to the ending of Return of the Jedi and the journey to this point has been a lot less enjoyable. Not to mention that nothing was ever explained, like how the fuck the new order ever came to be in power in the first place and if they actually were in power anyway?!?!

Thankfully R1 was good and even Solo was entertaining, so there is still hope...

Saw it tonight, wasn't expecting a great movie, but overall I enjoyed it.

Some scenes just cracked me up, like the people riding horses on top of a spaceship -- thank goodness there was air out there to breath, or a robot fixing Mogwai, or that kiss between Rey and Ben -- just so so silly.

This movie reminded me that Star Wars is basically stuff for kids, cowboys and indians in space with a sprinkling of magic powers on top.  As adults, we want and expect more, all the plot-holes (etc) is dissatisfying, but as entertainment for kids I think these movies are pretty damn good.

I saw A New Hope in 77 so it's definitely on the top of my list. The interviews and trailers and all the hype before I saw it drove me nuts. The first time we tried to get to see the film the lineup was mental, so we had to leave and that was after waiting for ages. After weeks we tried again and finally got to see the movie. Good times.

1. A New Hope
  2. Empire Strikes Back
  3. Return Of The Jedi
  4. The Phantom Menace
  5. The Force Awakens
  6. Rogue One
  7.  Revenge Of The Sith
  8.  Attack of The Clones
  9.  The Last Jedi

I have yet to go see The Rise of Skywalker and I haven't seen the Solo film yet despite having it on Blu Ray for a year. heh.

Edited by Doom_Dude

4 hours ago, Liberation said:

When chewie died, my misses started crying and then to our surprise he was actually on a different ship. That whole scene was awful,

Ah, so there was nothing caused by Force whatsoever in that instance? I honestly thought the Sith Dagger saved them by teleporting them aboard another deck as the ambiguously good/evil Force actions of Ren and Rey mixed up. The main characters even mentioned the Dagger soon after they thought Chewie died. But no, it's all much more mundane…

Poe Dameron while being slightly less obnoxious this time around is still a mixed bag. 

Dunno, I like Poe. His face and voice remind me of Ash from Army of Darkness.

The final battle was dreadful really, those star destroyers should have been blowing the shit out of everything and the fleet that turns up at the end should have been reduced to scrap. The red storm troopers had no screen time, although looked pretty effective for the 10 seconds I saw them.

The final battle has the realism of a video game, where a severely undersized one-player team is much more competent and manages to beat a behemoth computer-controlled army. That's all that I can justify on it. Honestly I think the writers stuck themselves in a corner here, and a tragic (but realistic) defeat would have made the whole battle futile and war lost (just like the characters keep admitting what would mean if they lose), and main box-office films can't afford to be cynical. And unfortunately second-rank productions such as books and side-films won't ever be allowed to sacrifice main characters either.

Red storm troopers? I vaguely saw one. This idea reminds me of Crusader: No Regret (which I haven't played yet but sure enough has a red armoured hero).

get the minxy black robes and red lightsabre and rule the galaxy as Empress!! But no, it's Disney.

Sorry but suddenly becoming a card carrying villain (which is the only way to suddenly turn "evil" in such a situation) is way too cliché. I totally didn't expect Rey to be fooled by Palpatine, she knows better than that; she didn't even get to know him as a grandpa to have any bond. Maybe you can justify it by how the Force works — any negative emotion like fear or fury can easily poison you if you're a Jedi (and usually when you turn good you also die, as punishment for the evil you had done). Anakin was pretty much doomed early because he was so reckless and emotional, for example. But unfortunately the Disney/Lucasfilm writers stuck themselves in a corner — Rey should have gone mad soon after releasing Sith lightning, but she kept on.

Personally I consider the best fate for the Star Wars storyline to be long-running episodic TV series, not single block-busters. TV series are much more capable of showing the villains grow and destroy everything we love, thanks to the power of season cliffhangers. They even have the chance to win in the end this way (due to possible cancellations)!