Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
qweqioweuo123

Engine to develop and commercialize a retro style fps game?

Anyone knows an engine with decent multiplayer where you can buy it and then develop a game on it and put it on stream? Im good at map making, sound effects, music, Ive already got effects and music done, map layouts as well, now I just need the engine and start working. I can script at .acs level but I was never good at programing. I have experience animating too, I can learn how to do sprites if needed.

I love the build engine effect retro fps wise, would like something like that.

I just the right engine that will give me full commercial license.

Edited by qweqioweuo123

If you can't program and are not willing to learn it, then I don't think you'll have much success with a project of this scale. There are hundreds of so-called "FPS Start Kits" available on the asset stores for various game engines, but don't be fooled; Without the ability to use them as a foundation, these are useful for prototyping at best. You simply will not be able to deliver a quality product with a "slap assets together" approach. 

That being said, Go and download Unity or Unreal Engine 4, and start learning C# or C++, it's fun! 

Guest Unregistered account

I'm currently using Godot. Completely free to use and sell provided you have a tiny text file crediting the engine authors included, but you need to know coding and be prepared to travel across many threads to find the desired effects to "downgrade" the graphics to what's necessary for a Doom-style game. Luckily there are plenty of tutorials for it but even so.

Edit: re read the OP and maybe it's not such a good choice, you'll need to model your levels and figure out an optimization system, and I know nothing about its multiplayer capabilities.

BTW I thought it cost like $100 to put a game on Steam

2 hours ago, Cherno said:

If you can't program and are not willing to learn it, then I don't think you'll have much success with a project of this scale. There are hundreds of so-called "FPS Start Kits" available on the asset stores for various game engines, but don't be fooled; Without the ability to use them as a foundation, these are useful for prototyping at best. You simply will not be able to deliver a quality product with a "slap assets together" approach. 

That being said, Go and download Unity or Unreal Engine 4, and start learning C# or C++, it's fun! 

I was able to program scripts or snatch whatever i needed from examples and tweak them and create cool sequences with ACS in Doom Builder. I don't see why I can't do this in an engine that gives you the "bones" of the project (in this case GZDoom engine and Doom Builder with ACS scripts) instead of having to code complex stuff in C. Im too low IQ for programing, I dropped classes, but im good with mapping, sounds, audio. I just cant code.

1 hour ago, Gez said:

Amid Evil has been made in Unreal Engine

Dusk has been made in Unity but looks like it has been made in the Quake engine.
Wrath has actually been made in the Quake engine (specifically, based on Dark Places)

Ion Maiden Fury has been made with EDuke32

Hedon has been made with GZDoom

Wait so I can just release a commercial game with GZDoom? do you have to pay a commercial license or something? what about eDuke32?

50 minutes ago, Gez said:

No commercial license needed, it's GPL.

Shit then my problem is solved. I'll just do the entire game on GZDoom using Doom Builder and ACS/Zscript thing for events, then think about textures and new enemies to add.

On 12/22/2019 at 1:35 AM, Gez said:

No commercial license needed, it's GPL.

My question now is, how about the multiplayer?

Can you have easy to use multiplayer within steam that works fine?

out of the box, absolutely not. You would need to modify the engine to link with Steam's libraries to add Steam multiplayer capabilities, and I'm not sure Valve would be too keen on you doing that in a GPL project.

1 hour ago, SaladBadger said:

out of the box, absolutely not. You would need to modify the engine to link with Steam's libraries to add Steam multiplayer capabilities, and I'm not sure Valve would be too keen on you doing that in a GPL project.

Why not? whats wrong with it being gpl?

im talking about this btw:

5DA11345A7CBA7C379DBD466262F6649FFFCCA18

cause if people have to download server files and stuff and do it the old school way, no one will play

9 minutes ago, qweqioweuo123 said:

Why not? whats wrong with it being gpl?

Steam's SDK is not license compatible with GPL and thus Steamworks integration, which friends list functions need, is not doable with a GPL codebase. You can stick a GPL program on Steam, but you can't integrate it with its features without getting an exception, which for GZDoom is not even remotely feasible.

(Warning: I am not a lawyer. I've done a good amount of research on this, but this is not legal advice and I have not consulted with a lawyer about this.)

With these specific circumstances, you actually could. You'd need a non-GPL "integration broker" that any game engine could communicate with via IPC. The integration broker would be in charge of redeeming achievements and performing match-making, among other things. Such integration broker would additionally support non-Steam frameworks for such things, too, such as RetroAchievements or Discord integration. I'm already planning on making such a program, but I'm not planning on implementing Steamworks support due to the fact that (to my knowledge) Valve doesn't make the Steamworks library publicly available without signing an NDA.

An important note for your situation, though: GZDoom, last I checked, does not support players joining while the application is already running, which means you can't use a modern-style in-game party system.

wow, the first few comments didn't mentionj gzdoom? that's the easiest, not much multiplayer support but you can easilly make whole singleplayer campaign using it.

If that doesn't do it, I'm using godot and with a bit experience with python I could easilly get into gdscript, it's not much more complex than acs either I think, very simple to learn. If that's what you're going for check out this plugin that came out recently

if you like to make maps in trenchboom or J.A.C.K(mapping in godot iss very limiting compared to those previously mentioned tools).

Edited by zen4040

On 1/12/2020 at 5:28 PM, zen4040 said:

wow, the first few comments didn't mentionj gzdoom? that's the easiest, not much multiplayer support but you can easilly make whole singleplayer campaign using it.

I that doesn't do it, I'm using godot and with a bit experience with python I could easilly get into gdscript, it's not much more complex than acs either I think, very simple to learn. If that's what you're going for check out this plugin that came out recently

if you like to make maps in trenchboom or J.A.C.K(mapping in godot iss very limiting compared to those previously mentioned tools).

what about sprites? I need something that has templates so i can simply mod the sprites and replace them with my own artwork. like i said before i need the skeleton of the game otherwise i cant code worth shit

unforunately if you cant get gzdoom to show up on the dropdown menu of steam its not really an option, i want a nice multiplayer experience thats user friendly

Honestly it sounds like without coding ability or a coder on hand you are biting off more than you can chew. Stick with what you know. Gzdoom has the best shot of the results you want with the skills you have. Mating it to steam's multiplayer will take serious coding if indeed it is legally allowed. Maybe stick with single player and add multiplayer later once you have more experience and credit to your product.

9 hours ago, Murdoch said:

Honestly it sounds like without coding ability or a coder on hand you are biting off more than you can chew. Stick with what you know. Gzdoom has the best shot of the results you want with the skills you have. Mating it to steam's multiplayer will take serious coding if indeed it is legally allowed. Maybe stick with single player and add multiplayer later once you have more experience and credit to your product.

i want to design it with coop in mind

there has to be a way to download assets designed for a 2.5fps game for an engine that lets you replace the stuff with some minimal scripting

On 2/19/2020 at 2:17 AM, qweqioweuo123 said:

what about sprites? I need something that has templates so i can simply mod the sprites and replace them with my own artwork. like i said before i need the skeleton of the game otherwise i cant code worth shit

unforunately if you cant get gzdoom to show up on the dropdown menu of steam its not really an option, i want a nice multiplayer experience thats user friendly

learn scripting, you can't make online multiplayer unless you can afford expensive servers. all you can do is support local multiplayer and then hope people would create dedicated servers themselves. You can still make 2.5d games with godot, but there's no templates for the sprites, you would have to script them in yourself, it's easy if you're not going to have any rotations for the sprites.

On 1/12/2020 at 12:18 AM, qweqioweuo123 said:

cause if people have to download server files and stuff and do it the old school way, no one will play

pretty sure, anyone who would be scaed of that wouldn't be interrested in a 2.5d game in the first place.

That's how I've been setting up local games so far.

@Graf Zahlmaybe you really should add some steam features to the engine? I know you hate multiplayer but what about achievements for example?

Steam is not GPL compatible - so it cannot be put in the engine, aside from that achievements are inherently part of the game so the engine won't be able to trigger them.

33 minutes ago, zen4040 said:

pretty sure, anyone who would be scaed of that wouldn't be interrested in a 2.5d game in the first place.

That's how I've been setting up local games so far.

@Graf Zahlmaybe you really should add some steam features to the engine? I know you hate multiplayer but what about achievements for example?

disagree. its all about making it user friendly. if i bother creating a multiplayer, i want it to be embeded within steam, so its easy for anyone that wants to play. the duke3d megaton edition had a nice community of people creating lobbys and playing coops and dm, it was all embeded within steam, it was easy, i personally dont want to deal with having to do all that old school crap myself anymore and im a 30 year old boomer that played in lan back in the day. so if i work on multiplayer, i want to have that feature

the question is: what engine will allow you to embed stuff on steam, and get achivements and so on? what criteria is followed for this to be allowed or not?

as far as the godot example, i want something like duke3d, not a wolf clone, so yeah im going to need rotation of sprites.

Maybe you can use Ken Silverman's own BUILD2, the successor of Build engine that got finished in the mid-2000's. No game is known to use that engine as of now.

On 2/19/2020 at 3:25 PM, qweqioweuo123 said:

i want to design it with coop in mind

there has to be a way to download assets designed for a 2.5fps game for an engine that lets you replace the stuff with some minimal scripting

There is, its called FPS Creator. It was once a commerical package by the Game Creators that has gone open source, including a significant amount of resource packs. In the basis, with minimal scripting, you could create games that visually would be a cross between Unreal Tournament and Unreal 2. There are widespread mods that bring out enhanced shader support, but visually, you wouldn't be targetting modern games - Its successor GameGuru is more in line with that.

Be warned though that good FPSC games are far and inbetween - Many make FPSC games, but the quality is often not that great. There are, however, examples of FPSC games on Steam - Here is a Doom clone made with one called Doomed, and here is another one, Crimson Metal.

Be also advised that FPSC is a true 3D engine and not a 2.5D one - But i reckon it can work with sprites.

On 2/21/2020 at 3:32 PM, qweqioweuo123 said:

i personally dont want to deal with having to do all that old school crap myself anymore and im a 30 year old boomer that played in lan back in the day. so if i work on multiplayer, i want to have that feature

All i hear from you is that you want to make a game, but do not know where to start and are undermining the amount of effort needed to make a good game. Instead of being an Ideas Guy, start playtesting with software packages. See what gets the hang. Look up tutorials on the specific engine and study the resources.

Gamedevelopment isn't as simple as one may think, even though it has become a lot less hassled to create a game (to the point where Media Molecule just shipped Dreams and its potential is enormous for quality productions). That isn't to say that its easy in general.

2 hours ago, InDOOMnesia said:

Maybe you can use Ken Silverman's own BUILD2, the successor of Build engine that got finished in the mid-2000's. No game is known to use that engine as of now.

There are multiple issues with this:

• It is code by Ken Silverman. Ken's code is not that clean nor readable and given the OP has little to no experience with game design, it would instead be a demotivating example rather than a motivational one.
  • It is centered around software rendering, including the stencil shadows. As most games are hardware accelerated and use cross-platform libraries, it would be smarter to look for that.
  • Build 2 includes an editor that requires quite some tinkering to get by - User friendly is not what i would call it first and formost.

GZDoom would be perfect since I can do Doom Builder, ACS and I can learn or scrap zscript code, however, for some reason Gaben has to ruin things and not fully implement it in the Steam interface, so yeah, I will need to think what I end up using.