Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Matti

Level 30: The Boss

The level 30 boss. Was it the real leader of the demons?
I've been thinking... Is the demon "wall" like Satan himself?
Or is there like a higher power commanding the "wall"?

This thing we play is called a game. That thing you mention is just a big undead goat headed creature from hell that shoots out spawn cubes that become monsters out of it's head. It's the boss in doom2 and other WADs. You want more info? Make it up.

Then there's Romero's head behind it, of course.

Excuse me, but someones can't have a regular life...
You wanna know? Because im strapped in a wheelchair.
My computer and the games are my life. Sorry for asking...

Matti said:

The level 30 boss. Was it the real leader of the demons?
I've been thinking... Is the demon "wall" like Satan himself?
Or is there like a higher power commanding the "wall"?

The demon depicted in MAP30 is most typically called Baphomet, and in fact the Final DOOM instruction manual's story actually refers to him as Baphomet.

Baphomet is derived from a pagan god of horned animals -- particularily rams, goats, and bulls. Like most of the rest of European pagan culture, it was absorbed into Christianity as a depiction of a demon or of the devil.

Cromley was big on inscribing pentagrams over images of Baphomet as a means of invocation. Its still a very commonly used image in Satanic religions.

I figure that as far as DOOM goes, Baphomet was the main demon behind the invasion. The Spider Masterminds were like generals under him, built solely for controlling the lesser hellspawn. Hellspawn are just like the wildlife of hell basically. They're not the real fallen angels, who, like Baphomet, would be huge and insanely powerful if you were to fight them 1 on 1.

I imagine that if he hadn't had his face permanently built into a wall, he would have had some pretty nasty attacks. Megabite, Megascratch, Megastomp -- maybe some bad magical attacks too. Fire, smoke, rockslides. Too bad DOOM doesn't support 8096x8096 sprites, or I'd try to make such a thing and use it in Eternity ;)

Quasar said:

I imagine that if he hadn't had his face permanently built into a wall, he would have had some pretty nasty attacks. Megabite, Megascratch, Megastomp -- maybe some bad magical attacks too. Fire, smoke, rockslides. Too bad DOOM doesn't support 8096x8096 sprites, or I'd try to make such a thing and use it in Eternity ;)

Omg, that would have been cool. But a other thing i am thinking of. How many HPs should he have then? 1.0000000000...etc.......
*next morning*...00000000. There, sound hard to fight... :P

That Baphomet info is just some lame crap some GT Interactive employee (or TNT member?) came up with, though, so don't confuse it with what the original id Software team thought up (not much.) At best that's on the same level as some interpretation or addition you may find on the text file for a PWAD.

Hmm. Fallen angels...

* myk slaps Quasar around a bit with a large trout

Hey, you aren't writing the background story for Eternity, are you, Quasar?

myk said:
That Baphomet info is just some lame crap some GT Interactive employee (or TNT member?) came up with, though, so don't confuse it with what the original id Software team thought up (not much.) At best that's on the same level as some interpretation or addition you may find on the text file for a PWAD.

Hmm. Fallen angels...

Since 'Baphomet' was the only name it was ever given, then that's what it's is. If id had wanted it called something else they would have said so. Remember, Final doom was supported by id (Though, I didn't care much for the story myself).

I myself just called it the Icon of Sin...cuz its a catchy name, and isnt hard to pronounce, like the Bo-ham-it..or what ever the devil its called.

myk said:

Hmm. Fallen angels...

Its still a fact that the demon in MAP30 was the same demon shown in the goat-head-in-pentagram texture. This usage of the image reveals the demon to be Baphomet, because this is how Baphomet is invoked by Satanists. id probably just saw a goathead in a pentagram somewhere and thought it was cool without ever even knowing it was Baphomet.

FYI, the other symbols you see in circles carved into the flesh textures and on teleporters are real occult symbols too, often used in necromancy texts. In fact, you can even see a giant compound symbol that contains two of those found in DOOM in the Alchemy/Necromancy Laborotory areas of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Not by coincidence, you fight Beelzebub, incarnated as a giant rotting corpse, in the room with that necromancy symbol ;)

I've written all the story for Eternity so far. I intend to do some revision and expansion soon though, as we're hatching some plots to reorganize and revive Eternity TC ;)

the goat head was used by pre christian pagans. the name of baphomet only came about when the church accused the knights templar.

as for the symbols used for teleport pads come from the necronomicon, a controversial book. some say it was a real text written by the mad arab, others say that H.P. lovecraft made it up.

"You are a huge nerd"
Well, excuse me for not having a life, and my IQ of 0.
And people using computers are automatically NERDS!!!?
But, thanks for friendly ppl for answering my stupid questions.
And i can't go outside like normal ppl. I have to hide like some monster.
Thanks for creering me up Afterglow...

I know that an edition of the necronomicon was released but I've never seen it. Lovecraft made up the idea of the book for his strories, but the book was published by fans or emulators.

Matti said:

etc etc etc

One of the beauties of the internet is that it is anonymous and no one has to know anything about your personal life, no matter how good or bad it may be. You're judged solely on your own merits as a person, as expressed through what you write. Please don't tell us any sob stories, because we don't need to hear them and there's no way they can help anything.

IMHO, I just think we ALL should stop with that stupid behavior and quit insulting and being rude to each other as this is gonna lead us (THE DOOM COMMUNITY) to nowhere, OK myk and Afterglow (or anyone else)??? Otherwise, again IMHO, THE DOOM COMMUNITY is going to last not much longer! I can´t explain why so much bad humor in here... :(

myk said:

I know that an edition of the necronomicon was released but I've never seen it. Lovecraft made up the idea of the book for his strories, but the book was published by fans or emulators.

http://stormloader.com/sanctuary/ this is an online version of the necronomicon. it's complete as far as I know.

The best boss in the Doom series was the Cyberdemon Lord in the Tower of Babel, I don't care about the Baphomet because he is more of a gateway between Earth and Hell than a demon...

myk said:

Cool. Hmm, I had always felt Borges had read Lovecraft at least a bit...

HPL is EVERYWHERE. ever heard of metallica? at least sandy petersen was big on HPL, if not the whole id posse back then. there was this interview of some goth people, and HPL was on top of their list on books, which i don't wonder at all.

ïa, ïa, cthulhu calls!

Cacodreams said:

IMHO, I just think we ALL should stop with that stupid behavior and quit insulting and being rude to each other as this is gonna lead us (THE DOOM COMMUNITY) to nowhere, OK myk and Afterglow (or anyone else)??? Otherwise, again IMHO, THE DOOM COMMUNITY is going to last not much longer! I can´t explain why so much bad humor in here... :(

You are a huge mong.