Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
r1g0r_m0rt1s

r1g's Mapping Contest!

Hey map makers, are you interested in showing off your creative talents to the world? Are you tired of being overshadowed whoever crams the most inside jokes into their WAD? If so, then this contest is for you!

Long story short, I'm looking to play some great maps. I also want to showcase the best this community has to offer, so I'll be making a review for EVERY map that passes moderation. 5 winners will be selected, based on a few categories.

Rules:
1) All WADs must be only 1 map long using the Doom 2 as the base.
2) WADs must be compatible with ZDoom v2.8.1. (Mainly because my current PC is hot garbage)
3) .pk3 files such as weapon packs are accepted, but not taken into consideration when judging the maps themselves.
4) While easter eggs and subtle nods are okay, I'm not Joel. This contest is to showcase the best that the mapping community has to offer, not a meme fest.
5) All maps MUST be made for this contest. It's unfair to the other creators to submit a map that's months in the making.
6) All maps will be played on Ultra-Violence. (the gentlemen's difficulty)
7) DO NOT INCLUDE COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL! MIDI's of popular songs are okay, but I don't want to get a copyright strike on the review video because you wanted to showcase your favorite song.
8) Please for the love of god, no Terry WADs. That joke died years ago.
9) The deadline is 3/1/2020.

Grading:
All maps will be judged by 4 categories; Aesthetic, Theme, Gameplay and Fun

Aesthetic: This one is pretty self explanatory. Is your map visually stunning?

Theme: The overarching theme and story of the map. This can include level, audio and gameplay themes that merge with one another. 

Gameplay: How does it play? Is it a puzzler? A slaughtermap? Feel free to experiment with this one. Make a high octane, balls to the wall action spectacle. Or maybe an ambient, atmospheric piece.

Fun: Simply put, is your map fun?

When the contest is over, 1 winner will be picked for each category as well as a "Best Overall" winner.

After the contest is done, I'll get to work making a video review for EVERY map that passes moderation.

https://discord.gg/dDqRJVe (Please submit your maps to this server)

I can't wait to see what you all come up with!

Edited by r1g0r_m0rt1s

What are the prizes?

Is something in the chords of Joel Mapping Contest (streamed maps trought twitch or youtube) or it's all written?

What are the categories for the maps?

Is there any deadline?

7 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

What are the prizes?

Is something in the chords of Joel Mapping Contest (streamed maps trought twitch or youtube) or it's all written?

What are the categories for the maps?

Is there any deadline?

It's all in the server I linked!

Asking people to join your Discord server in order to even find out what the project is about is a bit much.

1 minute ago, Linguica said:

Asking people to join your Discord server in order to even find out what the project is about is a bit much.

Yeah, I guess you're right.

1 hour ago, r1g0r_m0rt1s said:

WADs must be compatible with ZDoom v2.8.1.

Spoiler

How about something like PRBoom+? In most cases it would be a wiser choice for testing due to its optimizations.

I'm entered the discord and it's more empty than a desert...

If you want to participate in this thing, you're most welcome!

I don't know if I can do something and if I can do that great in the time between the mapwich mapping (on January 3rd)...

Yeah. This didn't go over nearly as well as I thought it would. I'm pushing the deadline back to March 1st to give anyone interested some more time.