Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xaser

Syringe v1.1 - now on /idgames!

Well, seems like folks are enjoying the wad -- thanks, y'all! Good feedbacks too; looks like there's enough stuff to justify a v1.1, but nothing seems to be too terribly broken, thank goodness. :P

While I'm here, have a behind-the-scenes infodump, for those who like that sorta thing:

As Pavera mentioned, the maps are "excerpts" from a dead megawad (though, frankly, it all works better as a short episode anyway), hence the sudden theme shifts. The original theme lineup was Hell->Brazil->Moon; Pavera's maps (02, 04, 05) stuck pretty closely to the original design, while the ones I did a bunch of work on (01, 03, 06) were produced much later (Tarnsman's original 01 and 03 got modified a heckuva lot). The endings of 04 and 05 were also done "in post" as well; in retrospect I wonder if it would've made sense to do something similar for 02, but I feel weird enough having tinkered with Pavera's other maps as-is. :P

Some more history: the ghost megawad's working title at the time was "NEIS2" -- not because it had any direct relation to NEIS (NaturalTvventy wasn't even involved, heh), but because the design ethos was the same sort of "start making a DTWID-ish map, then just roll with it when it inevitably runs off the rails" thing that we employed for NEIS. You can see this in Pavera's maps, though by the time I started producing all the other stuff (i.e. once "NEIS2" had long been dead), I switched the focus to "make Syringe its own thing", hence the new textures and whatnot. Hopefully it's not too disjointed as a result -- at least not any more than "2 maps per 'episode'" is naturally gonna make it. :P

Couple more fun facts, but I'll spoiler it in case y'all haven't finished MAP06 yet:

Spoiler

The name "Syringe" came about long before I ever thought up MAP06's ending -- I was thinking of Scythe and went "what's another sharp object that starts with an 's'?", and here we are.

The ending itself was sort of an accident -- I technically started MAP06 way way back during "NEIS2"'s "heyday" as a map for its Hell episode (hence why the "Moon" theme kinda evaporates), but I never got far with it (I built the start room up to the needle, and noted down the basic concept of "you teleport back here and drop down multiple times", but I hadn't started on any of the post-drop bits). Heck, I even came up with the name "Acheron's Needle" way back when, and the "inject the universe" ending only happened when I was getting close to done with the map, noticed the unintentional link between the map & project titles, and finally put two and two together. Happy accidents. :P

Great maps as always, especially them Pavmaps. One can never have enough of those (because he hardly releases, oh and they are good stuff).

Potential softlock in 04? Screen:

Spoiler

The pit at the left of the switch, right of the player

1Un8Zf2.png

Loving this WAD so far, but I have noticed an issue with Map04, for some reason the midi just won't play in doom2-plus. Works in Crispy Doom, PrBoom-plus and up, but not doom2-plus. Does this have to do with the filesize of the midi? Idk what's up with that.

It's the filesize, yeah -- ye olde vanilla doom (and, by extension, Chocolate Doom) don't support midis greater than 64kb-ish. I say "ish" because IIRC it's the size of the internal midi->mus conversion that matters, not the raw size, but it's a pretty good rule of thumb. Either way, MAP04's midi is ~102kb, which puts it way over the edge. :P

This made it to the Unity port? That's awesome! I meant to check this out when I saw it get a Cacoward, but I forgot. Gotta play it when I'm done with Arrival then.

Congratulations, Team PTMX! A well-deserved promotion for this fine-hewn gem!

Xaser said:

my trusty copy of Paint Shop Pro 7 that turns 20 years old this year

<snip>

NaturalTvventy and his "Beginning of the End Part 1"

Lol!

Pretty sure at this point that "Paint Shop Pro 7" needs to go on the Xaserpost bingo card, alongside end1.wad. :P

5 hours ago, Xaser said:

Wheeee, we're an addon now! Thanks y'all! :D

In celebration or whatnot, here's version 1.1, with some fixes and texture tweaks and other stuff:

https://static.angryscience.net/pub/doom/maps/syringe/syringe_1.1.zip

Should be final-ish -- will plunk it on /idgames soonish, presuming nothing is super-broken or whatever. :P

Congratulations on going official, guys! :D

Hey, Xaser, i made this status bar for myself last year, but well, i want to share it here, if you don't mind.
Its just a touch up from the TITELPIC with a few aesthetic tweaks.

Hope some other members like it, too ;)
950149971_SyringeSBingame.png.07604233ef32c474f98e6f38bf8ff0af.pngSyringeSB.zip

Congrats on your hard work everyone. These are mightily good maps and I'm glad my music found a loving home in this WAD.

I'm playing through it right now, it's kicking my ass but I'm having lots of fun with it so far.

Does anyone know how to complete level 7? I can’t get past the green wall. 

In case you're still takin feedback, I think it would probably be better if the title MIDI also played on MAP04, because honestly, that shit's a bangerThat and it plays without issue in Doom32, unlike the current MAP04 midi.