Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Insomniak

Dark Forces

The Original, not the Jedi Knight series.

Discuss.

I bought this game before I bought Doom. I still must have over 20 custom .GOB files for it. Some of the great things about it were:

-The programmers created their own engine to run it, instead of whoring of Id's doom engine like Raven did.

-The Enemies. A Dark Trooper (any phase) can still scare the shit out of me.

-The levels. DF had overlapping floors, jumping, 3d polygons, and walkways long befor Hexen and Quake.

Some of the not-so-great things:

-you couldn't save in levels.

-useless weapons

-no deathmatching/coop

PS. did anyone else find the ewok?

I love Dark Forces! The levels are awesome. Wonderful Star Wars atmosphere, intelligent design with lots of puzzles, unique style. Excellent soundtrack (again, for the atmosphere!). In some levels, I really got the impression that I was standing in a star destroyer or imperial base and not some random lump of textured rooms! The game does have several flaws... but it's still classic. Ever wondered what inspired Vrack? :P

Fredrik said:

Sweedish blah blah blah

Are you being sarcastic again? I can never tell...

I'm glad some people agree with me, though.

It was OK, but when I tried it I was also trying Duke Nukem 3D, so I kinda ignored it, and haven't played it much. I think I lost the disks then. No big deal.

mmnpsrsoskl said:
Heh, i've played this game, but only on PSX. Very nice game indeed. Nice engine for it's time as well IMO.

^-^ that's pretty much my story. The dark dianoga infested sewer level (the 3rd map I think) was one of the first times a game ever scared me. The bloody things would pop up right in your face with little or no warning and take a big chunk outta your anatomy... eeck!

Of coarse, as soon as I got doom for PSX, I learned a whole new kind of fear...

i played dark forces twice.it is good FPS.i think the level design is really good.Huge level and some nice puzzle.the graphic is good for its day.Weapons and Enemy design is so-so (that`s maybe i was not star war fan)

It was a really refreshing game - rather than Doom's gun-happy psychocity (did i just make a new word?), it was more of a thinking-man's FPS - tho bearing that comment in mind, i guess it was still pretty gun happy.

Two Thumbs Fresh!

Spike said:

psychocity (did i just make a new word)

I believe you did.

I loved dark forces. I was surprised at the depth and detail in the game. I wasn't too happy with all the weapons, but the gameplay was great. I did have a hard time going back and forth between DF and doom. I would get used to the jumping and looking in DF and forget I couldn't do that in vanilla doom. then I would forget that I could do it in DF when playing doom too much.

I love that game...i still have it..played it many a time, music is great levels were immersive, can't say anything that hasn't been said before..

Ewok?

My Dark Forces came with the Jedi Knight demo. I played it and was like "HOLY CRAP! YOU GET TO USE A LIGHTSABER!" So I went out and bought JK the next day.

As for the game... I've forgotten most of it, I just was lost a lot.

get JK II : Jedi Outcast. THERE'S a Star Wars Game. I do as well love Dark Forces. Just found it on the PSX and Blockbuster bundled with Tenchu 1 by some bizzare miracle.. There's only 2 things wrong with this game as far as I'm concerned. Not being able to save mid level, and I found I was almost always low or out of ammo after level 2. But meh. Awesome game.

Xanthier said:

Ewok?

In level 4, there's a secret room neer the platform where you start off. it's realy hard to get to, seeing as how you have to go to the cliff across from where you start and jump at a cliff texture that's out of alignment with the others. Behind it, however, is a room with a chain hanging from the ceiling. In the room is a hidden door with an Ewok in it. The ewok acts pretty strangly, and has a fun responce if you shoot it.

Lost Soul: this thread is NOT about the Jedi Knight series.

Insomniac said:

Lost Soul: this thread is NOT about the Jedi Knight series.

That might be debatable with the first Jedi Knight game, for it was Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II. and besides. It wasw only a little plug. The rest of my previous post WAS about DF, not JK.
But I know we should only be on topic of the first one ;). I just thought I should throw out my reccomendation to whoever like using Lightsabres. In any case, I agree about the Dianoga thing. Creepy little biters. Never see them coming in that horrid sludge maze, which gives them a lot of appeal as enemies. I can't say I liked the level they were on thought.. damned sewers. Right now I'm actually in the Cliff level.. 4 I think? where you begin in a large white canyon and you infiltrate a massive imperial base. Stuck there still cause I'm dying constantly :P.

I don't think they did, though I may be wrong. I know that Outlaws game is based on a modified Dark Forces engine...so hrm.

Don't have a fucking clue...