Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cambreaKer

What's the worst game of this decade in your opinion?

1 hour ago, Lila Feuer said:

I agree he was a good Postal Dude, if there's anything about Postal 4 I don't like so far is that Jon St. John sounds like he's really phoning it in. Very strange casting for minimal effort, sounding like a younger, nerdy version of Rick Hunter's Dude.

Ya know, some of his lines sound great, but some of them sound completely out of character; way too happy. Especially after all the things the Postal Dude has been through. As you said, there are times when it sounds like he's phoning it in. Which is odd, because Jon usually comes across as a pretty professional guy. I know they don't want to completely imitate Rick, but it sounds like John needs to play through Postal 2 again, if he ever has. The voice can have some levity, but it's need a gruff, sociopath tinge to it. 

But it's still early in development, so hopefully they re-record some of his lines; I'm sure RWS has received far more than enough criticism on this aspect of the game. And it seems like they're adding new lines with every update, so fingers crossed they'll go back and fix some of it. 

6 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

Duke Nukem Forever made me fucking angry at how bad it was. 

I agree, there have been some bad games but when I think of the situation/story around a game, I'd have to say DNF too, if only because I was personally so invested. As a huge fan of D3d I constantly waited for updates, while of course understanding that game dev takes time. I've encountered the same thing just in making maps as a hobby, as ports are updated or new resources are released, and you feel the impulse to retool everything. They could've potentially made 2 or 3 games in the development time of DNF, so I'd at least rather have 3 bad games instead of just the one hehe. Wow is a hell of a drug.  

13 minutes ago, Gokuma said:

Smash Brothers Melee

How long are decades where you're from Gokuma?

9 minutes ago, Gokuma said:

About 30 years.

Ah, makes more sense in that respect. But then you'd have to include the original Super Smash Bros for N64, which I would argue is worse than Melee.

Not the worst but the most disappointed one I played was Deus Ex Human Revolution.

Completely dumbed down on mechanics for consoles & the story is a little too consistent with a "telephone game" There is no variety. Plus, the story never branches out. Entire game you are seeking clues about kidnapped scientist except the last level.

Plus Jensen tries so hard to be badass with a voice that sounds like he has vocal cord issues.

I'm going to assume that we're not counting those shitty games with 1-2 people working on them and a budget of 80 cents that Ajora mentioned, because there are about 10 million of those and they're pretty much universally unplayable. So with that caveat out of the way..

2 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

Perfectly sums up how I feel as well.

EDIT: Man, now I'm being reminded of other shit games that I blocked out of my memory. Namely Mighty #9 and Halo 4. Granted, I wasn't nearly as eager for those as I was for DNF.

I also hate the direction the Smash Brothers series has gone in but very few others seem to share that opinion.

Edited by Doomkid

Edit: Directed at The_SloVinator and Avoozl

Except for the boss fights, it wasn't bad. Wasn't amazing, but it was enjoyable, and engaging. The different paths, and different viable builds available seemed far more limited than Deus Ex, but it was pretty okay. And at least it wasn't Invisible War.

2 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

DNF wasn't even good enough to be bad. It was just astonishingly mediocre, which in a way is kind of worse than being legit awful. 

AAA- Fallout 76

B - WolfCollosus

Indie - Hunt Down the refund

I've scrolled through this thread and my record of games I own/have played to see what I think the worst game I've played this decade is and... Well, I'm struggling.

Like, loads of people don't like DNF, but aside from the turret sections I enjoyed it quite a lot, and the DLC, which I tried last year and ended up beating in just two long sittings, is excellent (probably because there's no turret section!).

Likewise, Aliens: Colonial Marines gets a lot of shit, but I enjoyed a slow-paced single player play through, and really enjoyed getting drunk and doing the whole thing co-op with my brother. Maybe I didn't have high graphical expectations because I was given it on the XBox 360. Can't say I noticed much going wrong with the AI, but I was busy shooting stuff rather than studying it.

I'm surprised to see Alien: Isolation on this list. I'm not good at stealth games, and felt this one dragged on quite a bit, by the end, but I generally liked it and found the environment and sound design to be excellent. The DLC that recreates bits from the film was way more my speed thanks to only being an hour or two long each. The challenge mode can do one, though, but that's often the case.

Halo 4 felt a bit different to earlier entries like Halo 3 and Reach, but was still reasonably enjoyable and I'm a bit disappointed there wasn't more Spartan Ops stuff released after the first chapter... Grindy as it was.

Wolfenstein TNC wasn't as good as TNO, which wasn't as good as TOB. I've not tried The Young Blood as it's not really an SP game. The problem with TNC, for me, was tonal. The whole first half of the game is a depressing drag through a lost war as a dying, mopey old man. It picks up in the end, when you gain special abilities and start going places, but the best parts of TNO felt better. The real problem with both of them is that going back to replay TNO (a game I'd previously really enjoyed) to prepare for TNC felt shit because I'd already played Doom (2016), which was so much better but somehow had a similar feel. I don't think TNC stood a chance, after that.

I've not played BioShock Infinite yet, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it when I finally get round to it. Everybody ripped on 2 when that came out and I thought it was good a couple of years ago when I eventually played it.

Postal 3 I've also not played, and that one is bad enough that RWS are ignoring it for Postal 4, so that should be a warning bell for any prospective buyers!

One that I've not seen mentioned yet was Battlefield: Hard-line, which has a fun setting and wasn't bad overall, but has an utterly broken QTE in a swamp with an alligator that only seems beatable through mashing the keyboard. I guess the SP campaign is always an afterthought with this kind of thing, but they usually work!

No, looking through my list, I don't think I've really played anything I hated. I'm looking at the stuff I've not played and there's some freebies in there that look pretty dubious. I don't want to judge preemptively, as both Turbo Pug DX and The Nightmare Cooperative were freebies that ended up being a lot of fun for their brief durations... But Action Alien does look suspiciously bad. Maybe I'll be back to confirm one day, but with 212 other games and DLC to play (at least!), I can't imagine it'll ever be a priority.

Edited by Phobus

PUBG. The catalyst for the Battle Royale genre, one of the most boring stuff to come out this decade.

I honestly had more fun playing through Duke Nukem Forever, a game that I consider more mediocre overall than bad.

5 hours ago, reflex17 said:

Oh you guys I almost forgot about launch day No Man's Sky, what a treat.

Thankfully they fixed Launch Day No Man's Sky and are still adding features and stuff. I would consider it one of my favorite games of the decade.

All the negative feedback about Duke Nukem Forever made me avoid it even when it was on sale for dirt cheap.

I dunno what I would pick as worst for the decade. I guess I mostly played stuff that I enjoyed. I enjoyed Bioshock 1 & 2 but found Bioshock Infinite was boring. I would rather have a decaying sky city with some dark atmosphere and a better mixture of enemies. I'm not calling it worst of the decade tho. haha.

Edited by Doom_Dude

4 hours ago, Phobus said:

Like, loads of people don't like DNF, but aside from the turret sections I enjoyed it quite a lot, and the DLC, which I tried last year and ended up beating in just two long sittings, is excellent (probably because there's no turret section!).

This isn't surprising to see at all tbh. Many fans of Duke who despised the base game actually enjoyed the DLC. I think the reason for that is the fact that, unlike the base campaign which was little more than the product of an over-a-decade-long miscarriage, it was a lot more focused and very polished, on an entirely different level than the base game.

Likewise, Aliens: Colonial Marines gets a lot of shit, but I enjoyed a slow-paced single player play through, and really enjoyed getting drunk and doing the whole thing co-op with my brother. Maybe I didn't have high graphical expectations because I was given it on the XBox 360. Can't say I noticed much going wrong with the AI, but I was busy shooting stuff rather than studying it.

The game was scary bad at launch, and still is. All that GB did was fix a couple of issues in places and made it look a bit more fancy - which is still nowhere near as good as it used to be during 2011 and 2012. Most of the time was spent killing Yutani synthetics, and not Xenos, not to mention the abysmal story which, last I checked, is now fucking canon to the movies.

The AI was also braindead in the game, both friendly and enemy, particularly the Xeno AI. Which, by the way, was caused by the infamous "teather" - "tether" typo, making the Xenos think they were inside a tunnel the whole time, so they never ended up doing anything more than suicidal mad charges in the player's direction. Worse yet, Randy did nothing to address this and only added even more insult to the injury by starting to make jokes on the topic - they even put a fucking fake job listing on their website with a joke question reading "Which one is correct: teather or tether?"

A:CM is, and will always be an abysmal game with no redeeming qualities, and Randy in particular deserves all the hate he received. Sadly, the lawsuit that was filed against GB for false advertising was eventually dropped.

3 hours ago, reflex17 said:

Oh you guys I almost forgot about launch day No Man's Sky, what a treat.

Oh I still remember that clearly, and the outright lying and false advertising from the developers during its development, hyping up the game as the most ambitious project ever only for the released game to be anything but that. It was yet another abysmal game at launch, but I've been hearing the devs kind of redeemed themselves with huge content updates after launch.

It still doesn't excuse what they did before launch imo.

Edited by seed

1 minute ago, Doom_Dude said:

Thankfully they fixed Launch Day No Man's Sky and are still adding features and stuff. I would consider it one of my favorite games of the decade.

I can appreciate that, to be fair I haven't kept up on the updates exactly and I would imagine it's a task and a half to make a game like that and have it work out perfectly day one. The more complex a game is the greater the chance any one end-user will find some random quirky bug.

I agree about the Bioshock series, the first one was good but to me Infinite kind of feels like Doom 3 where there's a lot of unrealized potential. 

I geniunely would not get why people call Bioshock: Infinite ''the worst game of this decade''. Same with Fortnite. It might have been disappointing, but on its own, its still a solid game, and Fortnite got really popular - That's more a case of ''This game is just not for you'' which is fine (I don't play Fortnite by the way)

If you want geniunely bad examples, there are plenty:

The rise of asset flip titles.

Utter trash tier ripped off Unity assetwork that thanks to Steam's amazing review system is allowed to stay afloat. Jim Sterling covered this for the ages.

Orion: Prelude.

I can't find the huge Reddit thread anymore that had every bit of history laid out, but for a slightly more summarized TLDR, just read this, and you too will think David Prassel is not a guy you would want to work for. TLDR: Prassel hired artists to create content and then ditched them without payment, consequently for multiple years.

I geniunely do not care the game managed to be decent after 60+ updates, the problem is that Prassel went into this business trying to make everyone his bitch in a literal sense, whereas Romero just wrote an ad about it.

The WarZ/Sergey Titov.

This guy worked on the infamous Big Rigs game. It comes as little surprise that his subsequent projects are also of questionable quality. Think about Shattered Skies. Or Wild West Online. Some more info on this Reddit page.

Derek Smart.

Making games even more ambitious than Star Citizen which is quite the achievement, but marred by so much technical buggery that not even a life simulator can solve it. A short summary by Reddit.  Also, the man is so infamous that envoking his name may have a high chance of him appearing.

Ghost Recon: Breakpoint.

Universally regarded as a title that should have stayed in the development oven. I am listing this because it comes from a big tier game company and its inexcusable that by the verge of releasing in time, such a publisher delivers such a trainwreck of a title, to the point where Ubisoft even says it has to overhaul it.

Dungeon Keeper on mobile.

This Eurogamer review is all you need to know. In case anyone thought Electronic Arts had proper merits, by releasing this game, personally, they cemented themselves for all the crap they have gotten over the years.

This is all of this last decade. So anyone naming Bioshock: Infinite, Fortnite or even Alien: Isolation: You know nothing.

Fallout 76 and No Mans Sky are disappointing though, the former more than the latter. But a general pattern they both share is that they both launched in a unfinished state. Bethesda went the extra mile and decided that their PR should reflect the same unfinished state of their game, given how they came up with fancy physical stuff that ultimately was of questionable quality.

15 hours ago, hybridial said:

Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock Infinite. 

Bioshock Infinite.    

This is pure hyperbole, i am sorry. The game may have been disappointing in the same vein as Mass Effect: Andromeda disappointed (Except Andromeda was like Fallout 76 and launchday No Man's Sky just geniunely unfinished) but as a standalone game, it was not bad. Objectively, there are far worse titles out there.

13 hours ago, seed said:

Gives me an awkward feeling of deja vu.

I'm saying this because the Bioshock Infinite story and me is repeating. I'm almost genuinely shocked to see Alien Isolation being called one of the worst games to come out this decade when it was so well received at the time after the pathetic garbage that A:CM was and the shit taste and the immense feeling of disappointment it left many fans with after the promising E3 demo footage, including yours truly.

How does this work?

Alien: Isolation brilliantly envokes the Alien mood and sense of the 80s. The only real flaw it has is that the Alien, that was marketed as smart, actually follows a set pattern. There is a PC mod that changes this to a pseudo-random factor, which makes the game even more scary.

13 hours ago, hybridial said:

The thing with Alien Isolation is what it does is very, very hollow, and it doesn't actually work well. 

The AI for the Alien is just bad, I have played probably most of the stalker type horror games ever made because I am a big fan of that, and there hasn't been many, and Alien Isolation might really be the worst because the scripting feels half finished. As well as that the stealth element of it is also very poor, its difficult to tell when you're actually successfully hiding or not. 

Then there's how drawn out the game is, I quit after 4 hours when I felt it wasn't going to get better but apparently its a 15 hour long game, and most of that is filler wandering with QTEs pretending to be but that don't qualify as puzzles, and I'm flabbergasted at that. They really only have material for like a 2 hour game and they stretched it out that much. The only reason it seemed to impress anyone is in the cinematic elements and because surface level the game had a lot of work put into its environmental design, but that's not a game, that is a glorified haunted house ride at a theme park. 

It is genuinely a badly made product, and the fact more people haven't picked up on it to me demonstrates a real problem with how people judge games. 

You judge Bioshock Infinite as ''the worst game of the decade''. Ive just listed a few geniunely terrible games that far outstrip B:I.

Don't make what is essentially a ''you'' problem be the common denominator. Alien: Isolation isn't a geniunely badly made product, and for who to conclude that it demonstrates a real problem with how people judge games when you yourself call Bioshock Infinite ''the worst game of the decade'' is thus subject to criticism.

TLDR: Its a ''you'' problem if you consider Alien and Bioshock bad products and the worst game of the decade.

^ You know, parts of that huge wall of text remind me of some disturbingly childish and entitled behavior I have seen elsewhere.

Basically, how some people enjoyed NFS: Payback. A small but extremely vocal group proceeded to directly attack the people who genuinely enjoyed the game and "how the state of the franchise was so dire because of people who bought junk like that". Yeah, how do people fucking dare to enjoy something someone else does not, we should order their execution.

By the way, no, this was NOT supposed to be directed to any participant to this discussion, it's just something that came to my mind and I am glad no one is resorting to childish behavior and calling people who enjoyed something they did not "morons" or much worse. I'm glad we can all agree to disagree when that's the case :) .

1 hour ago, Redneckerz said:

I geniunely do not care the game managed to be decent after 60+ updates, the problem is that Prassel went into this business trying to make everyone his bitch in a literal sense, whereas Romero just wrote an ad about it.

That's actually not a good comparison.

I remember reading that Romero expressed disappointment and disapproval for that ad, which was the result of the poor thinking of the marketing team I think? That ad was never supposed to exist, and he wasn't the one to come up with the idea either.

Edited by seed

I've not played BioShock Infinite yet, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it when I finally get round to it. Everybody ripped on 2 when that came out and I thought it was good a couple of years ago when I eventually played it.

Oh no this isn't that. Bioshock 2 was my favourite of the Bioshock games, I liked it quite a bit more than the first one. Infinite is far worse than the both of them. The reaction to Bioshock 2 is one of those things that convinces me most people are losing sight of that little thing called gameplay, because thats what made it a better game than the first one, although honestly I liked the story more too and Minerva's Den is the best story told in the Bioshock series. 

Infinite... Infinite's gameplay is terrible and that's inarguable. 

55 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

You judge Bioshock Infinite as ''the worst game of the decade''. Ive just listed a few geniunely terrible games that far outstrip B:I.

Don't make what is essentially a ''you'' problem be the common denominator. Alien: Isolation isn't a geniunely badly made product, and for who to conclude that it demonstrates a real problem with how people judge games when you yourself call Bioshock Infinite ''the worst game of the decade'' is thus subject to criticism.

TLDR: Its a ''you'' problem if you consider Alien and Bioshock bad products and the worst game of the decade.

They are bad products. Anyone who says they aren't is wrong. If you don't agree, fine, but I don't care, because you are wrong. 

That's all there is to say, but at least I gave reasons for why I believe that, the other being well, I can only talk about games I played. Worst game of the decade is whatever, there will always be a huge list of bad games to pick for that ranging from scams to half finished Steam dross, and the reason I called it the games I did is because those actually made me feel something about them.

However if we're just getting into those games being bad, oh yeah, oh yeah they're bad, and believe it or not I'm not gonna be very perturbed by a random guy on the internet saying my judgements are invalid without giving a single reason for it. A lot of people like Twilight, people often like trash. And hell on Infinite at least I'm far from the only person who thinks its not good at the very least. 

Unpopular opinion, but I actually preferred TNC over TNO and even TOB. In particular, I thought the gameplay was drastically improved from its predecessors. In the previous games, enemies in the higher tiers than the basic infantry would all soak up bullets like a motherfucker and, some exceptions aside, I found there to be not much room for maneuverability in the levels, both of which are serious flaws in a game where most of the enemies used hitscan weapons. From my recollection, The New Colossus solved both of those problems for the most part. Also, I personally thought that the weapons were significantly more interesting and satisfying to use, though it wasn't exactly a problem to begin with (and the new dual-wielding system helps).

I do agree that the story wasn't as good, but I didn't think it was terrible and to me it's far from the most important aspect in any FPS. I didn't find the pacing off, either, at least compared to The New Order (though The Old Blood still had a greater balance between gameplay and cinematics). Youngblood looks awful, though, and MachineGames should take their time with the next game.

Edited by chemo

6 minutes ago, hybridial said:

They are bad products. Anyone who says they aren't is wrong. If you don't agree, fine, but I don't care, because you are wrong. 

That's a stunning display of maturity tho.