Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cacodemon345

DOOM-UEFI: port of Doom to UEFI

Hi,

So I found the original port of UEFI to DOOM by warfish. Unfortunately it wasn't building, so I went ahead and fixed the source code, which is now available here in https://github.com/Cacodemon345/uefidoom

Binaries are available at the Releases tab. Note that those are meant to be ran inside a UEFI Shell environment. Running instructions are available too. Note the bugs. Will fix them later. Helps are appreciated for those too.

5 hours ago, Cacodemon345 said:

Hi,

So I found the original port of UEFI to DOOM by warfish. Unfortunately it wasn't building, so I went ahead and fixed the source code, which is now available here in https://github.com/Cacodemon345/uefidoom

Binaries are available at the Releases tab. Note that those are meant to be ran inside a UEFI Shell environment. Running instructions are available too. Note the bugs. Will fix them later. Helps are appreciated for those too.

Funny stuff.  Is it based off the regular Linux Doom port?

This goes on my TODO list to put on the Wiki.

7 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Funny stuff.  Is it based off the regular Linux Doom port?

This goes on my TODO list to put on the Wiki.

Yeah, it's based off the Linux Doom port, although the real base is warfish's UEFIDOOM port, that's also based on the Linux Doom port.

4 hours ago, Cacodemon345 said:

Yeah, it's based off the Linux Doom port, although the real base is warfish's UEFIDOOM port, that's also based on the Linux Doom port.

This is good to know. Ill write a post about this on Realm667 and make sure this gets atleast a stubbed page on the Wiki in due time. Thanks for the fix up of this novelty port!

So, I got some testing done on the sound support of DOOM-UEFI, and the results are so far:

• Audio works.
  • The sounds, however, doesn't work quite right yet (too high pitched to the point where it's barely legible).
  • Only the Door open sound seems to be actually legible.

I really need to look for a upsampling algorithm so that audio plays correctly.

A note for people planning to run Doom on UEFI directly from bootloader: Change the entry point in Doom.inf to "UefiMain". You should be able to run Doom from bootloader.

Alternatively, create a startup.nsh file in the same directory where the shell app exists, containing both "cd" and "doom" commands.

I plan to add command line arguments support at one time and allow running other Doom IWADs, but I lack time for working on the project unfortunately.

A protip: If you use Arch Linux, look for Shell efi files inside the efi directory of your Arch Linux installation ISO/CD/USB. You can use those for running Doom too. :)

On 12/28/2019 at 4:48 PM, Redneckerz said:

This is good to know. Ill write a post about this on Realm667 and make sure this gets atleast a stubbed page on the Wiki in due time. Thanks for the fix up of this novelty port!

Did you forget about this project, in the meanwhile? Not complaining, but I'd wish for this project to get a page in the wiki.

2 hours ago, Cacodemon345 said:

Did you forget about this project, in the meanwhile? Not complaining, but I'd wish for this project to get a page in the wiki.

The Source of Ports never forgets!

Nope, didn't forget, its just that i have a lot on my hands and currently going through the write up of 4 ports, of which 2 are finished and the third ill make today.

Unfortunately 2 of these are rather extensive to document, so it takes a good few hours to make the wiki article (Unlike other editors, i tend to deliver my own entries in full, so with links, quotations and historical accuracy. As you can understand, this stuff takes time.)

But! Since you had the audacity to complain haha, ill do this one before finishing up my quartet of ports, so likely tomorrow. Doom-UEFI is fortunately more a novelty port than a huge monstrosity so it should be easy to whip up a page for it. Thank you for the reminder!

''It should be easy to whip up a page for it'', i said. ''Doom UEFI is fortunately more a novelty port than a huge monstrosity'', i said.... :P

Boy was i wrong!

But here is Doom UEFI on the DoomWiki. Pretty complete as is, imo. Took me longer than expected because i forgot Warfish maintained a development log of his original version.

I am posting a link to one of the AudioDxe drivers for usage: https://github.com/sarkrui/NUC8i7BEH-Hackintosh-Build/raw/master/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/AudioDxe-64.efi

Note that I didn't test it yet, but I recommend using it to avoid a crash since I won't be able to push out a build right now. This also enables sound support.

Edited by Cacodemon345

1 hour ago, Cacodemon345 said:

Thanks!

Grumpy old man: ''Now! leave me alone, you scallywag, for i have more ports of call to attend to!''

If there is any significant development (As in: You enable Vulkan rendering through UEFI) let me know and it will be in. :)