Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

What's the BEST decade in history?

From a cultural point of view I'm gonna have to go with the 90's because I'm an edgelord, and the 90's had this very peculiar and visceral kind of edgy. Afterall it's the decade that brought us games like Doom, Blood, Quake, Carmageddon, Nightmare Creatures; bands like Korn, Marilyn Manson, Pearl Jam, Type O Negative; and shit like Are you Afraid of the Dark which fucking terrified me as a kid. And ofcourse, my favorite Disney movie, Nightmare before Christmas.

Ngl 90's cartoons are the best too, granted I'm probably biased because I grew up with them.

I think as long as you had a good childhood those decades are generally the most favoured. More goodies, discoveries and ignorance with less pressure and sobering experiences.

So sure the 90s for me.

But I want to give an honourable mention to this decade. It has been my worst and best. This is when many of my older family members passed away in a short period, loved ones deteriorating and I worked in jobs I hated. But my Brother got married, I purchased my first home and I am starting to make traction in my career. Also I feel I developed much more as a individual in maturity and emotionally.

Hmm, depends on what factors we are evaluating by.

As far as video games are concerned... I'll go with 90s and early 00s - you know the golden time when even the biggest devs and publishers focused on making a high-quality experience. Sure, they didn't have the same technology or budget triple A devs have today, but plenty of the old games left a true legacy behind - people put in their hearts into making those - and it shows, especially gameplay-wise (Mucho Doom love). HOWEVER, I've also got to say that it's been very heartwarming to see the rise of the indie developer in the past two or three years - so many awesome games have been created in an old engine (hello, Ion Fury) or tried to recreate an old but gold formula (old-school FPS and Metroidvania in particular).

As far as films are concerned... I'd probably go with the same periods I've mentioned above. The old-school classics have retained their legacy, while nowadays the Disney reboots are hideous, and don't even get me started on MCU movies (ew). Luckily, you do get an odd gem or two per year that you still happily rewatch when you feel like it. 

As far as music is concerned... I feel that 2000s and onwards have been pretty dang strong. Mind you, I mainly listen to metal and electronic so I'm judging by that. Musicians have really improved their songwriting tropes and every year I buy a whole ton of records I thoroughly enjoy. It's been a huge blast so far. 

The importance of the 80s and 90s is obviously silly to refute here, but thankfully we've moved past the stage of 'how many riffs and solos can your guitarist shove into a three-minute song' (sod off, thrash, you're boring) and 'how many odd time signatures and synths can you write to pad out a boring 10-minute song that ultimately goes nowhere' (lol @Rush fans).

So the answer is... it depends.

At first I could see myself agreeing that 1990's was the best decade since Doom 64 was released. But then in 2000's N64 emulators were able to play Doom 64 on PC with some resolution enhancements, so perhaps it was a little better experience for Doom 64 and perhaps it was a better decade to be a Doom 64 fan then. But then in the 2010's Doom 64 EX, Doom 64: Retribution, and Doom 64 GEC Master Editions were all released. Three options and three kinds of customizability!! Maybe that is what makes 2010's the best! But who knows 2020's are looking to be the best because the re-release of Doom 64 is coming out in the first year and that's just a start!

Any decade from The Dinosaur Era except the last.

Humanity is pretty much a parasite, we drain resources to survive and go against nature in every way.

We've only been around 2 million years and yet we've screwed this planet beyond any repair, the earth was better when it was ruled by lizards.