Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
necros

What is the correct way to use custom textures?

Question

Hiya, still new to doom mapping...  In Quake, when I used a texture, it is automatically added to the compiled map file so when I distribute my map, only textures I used are there even if the original texture pack I used contained hundreds of other textures.

But in Doom, I have no idea how to do this.  So for example, I'm using GZDoom Builder.  I want to use OTEX texture pack for maybe some of the trims.  I add it as a read only resource to my map file and compile and run the map from within the editor.  Works great.

But if I drag my map onto the doom exe outside of the editor, any OTEX textures appear as the missing texture.  Clearly doom does not automatically include used textures for you.  But I don't want to distribute the entire 66mb texture pack with my 2~5mb level...  Is there a guide that tells you how to actually do this properly?  I guess I need to go and grab all the textures from OTEX and manually import it into my own wad file?  That seems...  boring?  I mean if that's what you have to do, then so be it, but I feel like there's a better way?

Thanks!

4 answers to this question

It's also possible to tell people to load a texture pack alongside your map.

For ZDoom-based ports, you can automate that by making a GAMEINFO lump containing a line such as "LOAD = OTEX.WAD" so people will just have to drag-and-drop your map and ZDoom will automatically load otex if it's found.

Of course it can be more convenient to copy the textures in your file.

as far as i know, youre going to have to take the textures and import them manually. But you don't have to do it one by one. With slade, you can just select the entirety of otex and copy paste it entirely to your wad. Remember to copypaste the textfiles and markers too!

As long as you are only using otex, you should be fine.

Otex is pretty large though, so you may have to try a couple of times until slade decides not to crash on you

If your map is in DOOM/BOOM format then custom textures must be loaded manually into your map. There is a good tutorial here on the Slade3 Wiki.

If your map is for any of the GZDoom formats then that process gets a lot easier. Simply add the textures manually into your map, with Slade3, in between TX_START and TX_END markers. GZDoom supports all kinds of graphics formats.

While you are at it, read up on the difference between patch graphics and texture graphics.

Ok thanks guys, looks like copying it over is the cleanest way.  Thanks for mentioning Slade 3.  I used the original Slade back when it was in beta...  didn't realize the author had turned it into an all purpose editing suite now.  Very cool.

I'm actually surprised no one has create a tool to automate transferring texture assets from large pack wads...  Might look into that later if moving them over manually is too annoying. :3