Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VanaheimRanger

How do I use -viddump? (SOLVED)

Anyone know what files exactly I need to have in my PRBoom+ folder to get -viddump to work?

I have the 3 listed in the usage.txt

oggenc2.exe

mkvmerge.exe

x264.exe

When I use "-timedemo test -viddump test.mkv" all that happens is that the demo plays at super speed and when it ends, there is no video...

1. Download the mentioned files and put them inside the folder with glboom-plus.exe. Both the required IWAD and WAD should be in the same folder too.

2. Make a shortcut of glboom-plus.exe
3. Open its properties.

4. Write the IWAD, WAD and replay names inside Target field. They all should be in the same folder too. The Target line should look sth like that:

F:\prboom-plus-2.5.1.5\glboom-plus.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file sod.wad -deh sod.deh -timedemo demo123.lmp -viddump test123.mkv

5. Open glboom-plus.exe in the source folder and tweak the settings you want the video to be recorded with: resolution, anti-aliasing, texture sizes and so on. Then close the game to save the settings.

Alternatively, you can open glboom-plus.cfg in the source folder and change the settings there.

6. Open glboom-plus.cfg in the source folder and change the following settings:

# Video capture encoding settings
cap_soundcommand          "oggenc2 -r -R %s -q 5 - -o output.ogg"
cap_videocommand          "x264 -o output.mkv --crf 0 --muxer mkv --demuxer raw --input-csp rgb --input-depth 8 --input-res %wx%h --fps %r -"
cap_muxcommand            "mkvmerge -o %f output.mkv output.ogg"
cap_tempfile1             "output.ogg"
cap_tempfile2             "output.mkv"
cap_remove_tempfiles          1
cap_fps                      60

Bold numbers are the ones that store overall quality values. The less value is, the better quality video and sound you're gonna have.

--crf 0 means you will have an enormously big video file, but it's gonna have the best possible quality. If you don't care about the quality that much, change it to 8 or 11.

The same concerns the sound quality value -q 5. I don't think you should change it.

7. Save the settings.

8. Open your shortcut and the game will dump the video. If there is no sound and the game runs slowly - that means you did everything right.

No it still does the same thing, it seems like in the video, the audio is moving at normal speed, but the video is going faster.  When it gets to the end of the demo the video stays frozen at the end point while the audio keeps going.

This is frustrating, and I think I'll just play back my demos normally and record them with OBS as was my original plan.

Thank you for trying to help though, I appreciate it.

Damn, that is really weird. I've been using viddump for roughly 2 years and never had problems with it so far. I am sure most other players never had any major issues with it either. 

Here is a couple of questions that you might need to consider:

1. Did you download all 3 necessary video encoding components from the internet or some source and pasted them into your doom directory? 

2.Did you alter the demo or maybe specifically altered between tabs during the encoding? (like minimizing tabs) 

3.Did you follow all the instructions that were orderly given? 

I am hoping that future players can possibly use this thread as reference just in case the same issue appears for them. Viddump is afterall a very powerful tool that unfortunately has strict sort of rules, because otherwise it won't function properly. 

@Ahmed

1) I downloaded the 3 prerequisite encoders that were outlined in the usage.txt.  I tried both 32bit and 64 bit versions.  I also tried both versions of each in PRBoom+ and GLBoom+.

2) I didn't do anything else on the PC while the process was running.  Also, the test demo I was trying it on was made in GLBoom+ 2.5.1.4 and I tried -viddump in both GLBoom+ and PRBoom+ 2.5.1.4.  I since tried this again with the 2.5.1.5 packages that @Dimon12321 linked, with a new demo giving the same results.

3) I did all the things, lol.

I am 90% sure it is an issue with my PC hardware and not the software at this point, It is an older i7 Quad-core processor.  It has no issue recording or encoding with other programs, but as you said, viddump is powerful, and might be too powerful for my CPU.

35 minutes ago, guitardz said:

I am 90% sure it is an issue with my PC hardware and not the software at this point, It is an older i7 Quad-core processor.  It has no issue recording or encoding with other programs, but as you said, viddump is powerful, and might be too powerful for my CPU.

It doesn't have to do with performance I think, viddump works fine on my laptop powered by a weak i3.

5 minutes ago, Andromeda said:

It doesn't have to do with performance I think, viddump works fine on my laptop powered by a weak i3.

I'm pretty much lost on it now, then.  I guess all I can do is ask for other user's cfgs and see if they work.

Just now, guitardz said:

I'm pretty much lost on it now, then.  I guess all I can do is ask for other user's cfgs and see if they work.

The config inside the given client doesn't help either? Try to record a video with a vertical sync on/off. I tried recording a 480p video on an old laptop with Celeron and it did well. Also toggle Wipe Screen Effect option. That's someting weird!

3 minutes ago, Dimon12321 said:

The config inside the given client doesn't help either? Try to record a video with a vertical sync on/off. I tried recording a 480p video on an old laptop with Celeron and it did well. Also toggle Wipe Screen Effect option. That's someting weird!

I'll try these options tonight after work and report back.

Also...A Celeron....if that system can handle it there is no reason mine shouldn't, lol.

8 hours ago, Dimon12321 said:

I tried it with both Screen Wipe Effect and Vertical Sync switched of...AND IT WORKS!

So I tried it again with Screen Wipe on and Vertical Sync off...AND IT WORKS!

Looks like vertical sync was the culprit all along.

I'm glad to finally have this worked out so I can get back to playing.  Thanks guys :)

Posted (edited)

Disclaimer: I wrote this over three years ago and haven't tested if it still works.

Assuming you're on Windows:

1. Get ffmpeg from here. Put ffmpeg.exe (located inside the bin directory in the .zip archive) into your dsda-doom directory.
  2. (Optional) Replace your "Video capture encoding settings" inside dsda-doom.cfg with this (the default settings, just in case you changed them):
    cap_soundcommand                  "ffmpeg -f s16le -ar %s -ac 2 -i - -c:a libopus -y temp_a.nut"
    cap_videocommand                  "ffmpeg -f rawvideo -pix_fmt rgb24 -r %r -s %wx%h -i - -c:v libx264 -y temp_v.nut"
    cap_muxcommand                    "ffmpeg -i temp_v.nut -i temp_a.nut -c copy -y %f"
    cap_tempfile1                     "temp_a.nut"
    cap_tempfile2                     "temp_v.nut"
    cap_remove_tempfiles              1
    cap_wipescreen                    0
    cap_fps                           60
  3. Then run dsda-doom as usual, adding the timedemo (not playdemo) and viddump parameters (and any other needed parameters like file or iwad for example) as such: -timedemo <name of your demo>.lmp -viddump <name of your video>.mp4. (you can also set .mkv as the video's file format)