Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
intacowetrust

PsyDoom 1.1.1 - PSX Doom port (reverse engineered) for PC

TBH there's two traits to the corruption that make me wonder if it's a side effect of me expanding the block size in the allocator to make it work in the first place. The two things I've noticed are that if you expand the canvas, like 1920x1080 here, there are some blocks of the screen that are perfectly fine, and there's also other odd traits like brown colors "winning" over the corruption

0.6.1 loads fine but the next two versions just show no graphics, only the music plays and if I click I hear the selection sound etc.

I am on Windows 10 on a 750ti card on current Nvidia drivers (from 16 March)

7 hours ago, Ruritanian said:

Same here. It really is fucking awesome, isn't it.  60FPS for the Williams Entertainment versions is just fantastic.  

Even with It's FPS problems, the original is still perfect in my eyes <3 I already have Raspberry Pi 3 system that outputs 240p analog RGB hooked to a 29" Sony Trinitron CRT and through overclocking the virtual PS1 CPU, Doom runs pretty much at 60fps all the time and It's just magical with those  T H I C C  scanlines! But seeing the same game running in a high resolution on a 1440p screen is almost otherworldly. Incredible, incredible work.

1 hour ago, VGA said:

0.6.1 loads fine but the next two versions just show no graphics, only the music plays and if I click I hear the selection sound etc.

I read the previous page and I pressed ~ and I fixed it!

But I hope the new renderer gets fixed.

Finally had the chance to test PsyDoom. Am i doing it wrong? I only have Classic Renderer listed in Extra Options and pushing the key to enable the new renderer also does nothing. My gpu is an RX 5700 XT. I read about the problems with AMD cards but just wondered why i don't even have the option to test the new renderer.

2 minutes ago, Muusi said:

Finally had the chance to test PsyDoom. Am i doing it wrong? I only have Classic Renderer listed in Extra Options and pushing the key to enable the new renderer also does nothing. My gpu is an RX 5700 XT. I read about the problems with AMD cards but just wondered why i don't even have the option to test the new renderer.

It's probably related to the problems.

14 minutes ago, Muusi said:

When you change the renderer with the ~ key, does the screen stop updating? It stays on the last frame?

3 minutes ago, VGA said:

When you change the renderer with the ~ key, does the screen stop updating? It stays on the last frame?

It literally does nothing. The renderer isn't available at all. I even tried editing the one .ini file to start the game with the new renderer but the game still starts with the classic look. At first i thought i downloaded the wrong version as 0.7.1 supposedly had some fixes for AMD cards but nope, my version is the latest. Hoping the problem gets fixed asap as i'm literally bursting with excitement!

I'm really liking PsyDoom. However, the Vulkan Renderer takes up 80 to 90% GPU usage of my 2070 Super. Way more than even the most decked out GZDoom on Vulkan. Is this on me or is it something with the renderer?

Decided to give this a spin. Works exactly out of the box. Changing the ini's is a bit weird since they're pushed to a directory I never really bother with, but after tinkering with the ini's, it plays exactly how I wanted to play it. This is incredible, thank you so much for making this port!

Now we just need this to play the GEC release and I'll be completely set for life for my PSX Doom needs.

11 hours ago, SaladBadger said:

TBH there's two traits to the corruption that make me wonder if it's a side effect of me expanding the block size in the allocator to make it work in the first place. The two things I've noticed are that if you expand the canvas, like 1920x1080 here, there are some blocks of the screen that are perfectly fine, and there's also other odd traits like brown colors "winning" over the corruption

Interesting... do you notice it changing at all over time or flickering or does it just change its pattern when the view resizes?

8 hours ago, VGA said:

Damn.... Thanks for reporting this! That's the first instance I've heard of issues on Nvidia cards - seems as though my earlier suspicions were right and there may be something else going on other than the alignment issue pointed out by @SaladBadger.

4 hours ago, Muusi said:

Yeah that's probably the issue (pointed out by @SaladBadger) which is disabling the Vulkan renderer on AMD cards. PsyDoom does tests to make sure the host machine can support Vulkan but it's failing when it shouldn't be on AMD.

4 hours ago, Muusi said:

It literally does nothing. The renderer isn't available at all. I even tried editing the one .ini file to start the game with the new renderer but the game still starts with the classic look. At first i thought i downloaded the wrong version as 0.7.1 supposedly had some fixes for AMD cards but nope, my version is the latest. Hoping the problem gets fixed asap as i'm literally bursting with excitement!

That's the expected behavior when PsyDoom determines Vulkan can't be supported, switching is disallowed. In your case of course that determination is wrong; once the bug is fixed you should be able to switch renderers.

4 hours ago, T.Will said:

I'm really liking PsyDoom. However, the Vulkan Renderer takes up 80 to 90% GPU usage of my 2070 Super. Way more than even the most decked out GZDoom on Vulkan. Is this on me or is it something with the renderer?

It's likely because of the 'VulkanTripleBuffer' setting in 'graphics_cfg.ini' being enabled, which is the default currently. When enabled PsyDoom will use triple buffering and render as fast as possible, replacing the current image waiting to be displayed (if any) with an even more up to date one if a new one gets done before the next vertical blank. Doing things this way makes sure you have the most up to date image being displayed and reduces input latency but also comes at the expense of high GPU/CPU usage since it's basically producing frames as fast as possible and discarding out-of-date ones. Personally I disable this because my GTX 1080's capacitors 'whine' when it is enabled which annoys me. Still considering maybe changing this default, I want the settings to be as good as possible out of the box but maybe in this instance it might be overkill, especially for more powerful cards.

1 hour ago, Charu said:

Now we just need this to play the GEC release and I'll be completely set for life for my PSX Doom needs.

Yep this one is on my radar:

https://github.com/BodbDearg/PsyDoom/issues/5

I'm waiting for beta 4 to become available to add official support - once the disc structure becomes more finalized. It's still possible to play some of these maps using the 'file overrides' mechanism however, but it's a pain. Here's an example:

image.png.8e3db5304cbc299fede02660c60a01d3.png

6 minutes ago, intacowetrust said:

It's likely because of the 'VulkanTripleBuffer' setting in 'graphics_cfg.ini' being enabled, which is the default currently. When enabled PsyDoom will use triple buffering and render as fast as possible, replacing the current image waiting to be displayed (if any) with an even more up to date one if a new one gets done before the next vertical blank. Doing things this way makes sure you have the most up to date image being displayed and reduces input latency but also comes at the expense of high GPU/CPU usage since it's basically producing frames as fast as possible and discarding out-of-date ones. Personally I disable this because my GTX 1080's capacitors 'whine' when it is enabled which annoys me. Still considering maybe changing this default, I want the settings to be as good as possible out of the box but maybe in this instance it might be overkill, especially for more powerful cards.

Yep. That was the culprit. Thanks for the help!

Ok I've fixed the alignment issue (as far as I can tell, having simulated large requirements) in the latest code on the master & develop branches. 

@SaladBadger I'm curious to see what the behavior on your device is now. At the very least the game should now hopefully boot into the VK renderer - not sure about the framebuffer corruption though.

@fenderc01 I believe your Radeon HD 8790M should now also be able to boot into the Vulkan renderer.

Currently waiting on the new GPU to do a more extensive test on AMD hardware but this should be a step in the right direction at least.

Is there any reason why Vulkan render can't be switched to on AMD Radeon R9 270? It supports it and the driver seem to be installed. https://ibb.co/FBNyPVX

I mean it can't be chosen from the main menu settings and by pressing a hotkey.

graphics_cfg is default

Spoiler

Fullscreen = 1

OutputResolutionW = -1
OutputResolutionH = -1
AntiAliasingMultisamples = 4

VulkanRenderHeight = -1

VulkanPixelStretch = 0
VulkanTripleBuffer = 1
VulkanWidescreenEnabled = 1
UseVulkan32BitShading = 0
DisableVulkanRenderer = 0

LogicalDisplayWidth = 292
TopOverscanPixels = 0
BottomOverscanPixels = 6

FloorRenderGapFix = 1
SkyLeakFix = 1

Edited by Dimon12321

3 hours ago, intacowetrust said:

I believe your Radeon HD 8790M should now also be able to boot into the Vulkan renderer.

Your latest change fixes it. Thank you!

NOTE: To others reading this, the latest 0.7.1 release doesn’t contain this fix yet. 

Edited by fenderc01

6 hours ago, intacowetrust said:

@SaladBadger I'm curious to see what the behavior on your device is now. At the very least the game should now hopefully boot into the VK renderer - not sure about the framebuffer corruption though.

It works out of the box now, still framebuffer corruption, though. Though apparently it works on other AMD hardware, from fenderc's post? that's interesting.

5 hours ago, fenderc01 said:

Your latest change fixes it. Thank you!

Awesome - thanks for confirming!

2 hours ago, SaladBadger said:

It works out of the box now, still framebuffer corruption, though. Though apparently it works on other AMD hardware, from fenderc's post? that's interesting.

Thanks for checking it out! I've got another lead on the framebuffer stuff which looks promising... I noticed there is a new (alpha) synchronization validation layer available in the Vulkan SDK which can point out sync issues. After enabling it with the SDK configurator, it complained about some hazards in the code that blits the framebuffer to the screen. Definitely had some suspicions about this stuff, going to look into it more this evening...

A new release with the two new fixes is out!

https://github.com/BodbDearg/PsyDoom/releases

Here are the changes:

Bug fixes (0.7.2)

• Fix alignment requirements for memory allocations not being met on certain AMD GPUs.
    • May fix the Vulkan renderer not being available on some AMD GPUs.
  • Add a fix for a framebuffer synchronization issue which may cause corruption or black screens on some GPUs.
  • Small fix to Open PsyDoom Config Folder.bat for handling paths with spaces.

Hoping this does the job this time around, if not I should have my hands on some hardware soon...

11 minutes ago, intacowetrust said:

A new release with the two new fixes is out!

https://github.com/BodbDearg/PsyDoom/releases

Here are the changes:

Bug fixes (0.7.2)

• Fix alignment requirements for memory allocations not being met on certain AMD GPUs.
    • May fix the Vulkan renderer not being available on some AMD GPUs.
  • Add a fix for a framebuffer synchronization issue which may cause corruption or black screens on some GPUs.
  • Small fix to Open PsyDoom Config Folder.bat for handling paths with spaces.

Hoping this does the job this time around, if not I should have my hands on some hardware soon...

Working beautifully!!! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regrettably not quite out of the woods on my machine, with a Radeon RX 580. I think you're on the right track though, occasionally a perfectly normal view flashes through the corruption.

To be completely honest, I can't 100% rule out a problem on my end, but all other Vulkan programs I can try ATM, such as Doom 2016 or GZDoom all seem to work fine, so I'm not 100% sure. Hopefully the test hardware can reveal something...

It works pretty well on my end with this new build except if I enable any sort of MSAA, then I get that corruption similar to what SaladBadger was getting

Thank you all for checking out the latest build! I'm happy to hear that it's now working properly for some of you, but also a little disappointed that it didn't quash the problems entirely. I guess I shouldn't be so surprised at this point though, right? Heh... Vulkan is a tricky one to get right at times - particularly synchronization.

2 hours ago, Tarry said:

It works pretty well on my end with this new build except if I enable any sort of MSAA, then I get that corruption similar to what SaladBadger was getting

Thank you for this nugget of info, this is extremely helpful! It's starting to sound like there might be some sort of sync issue with MSAA resolve - I'll take a look at how the Vulkan render pass and subpass dependencies are setup to see if I can spot anything. The debug tools I used to spot the last issue didn't report anything but they are far from perfect and might miss things...

Regrettably not quite out of the woods on my machine, with a Radeon RX 580. I think you're on the right track though, occasionally a perfectly normal view flashes through the corruption.

Good to know! Do you have MSAA turned on or off? Does disabling MSAA resolve the issue like in @Tarry's case?

To be completely honest, I can't 100% rule out a problem on my end, but all other Vulkan programs I can try ATM, such as Doom 2016 or GZDoom all seem to work fine, so I'm not 100% sure. Hopefully the test hardware can reveal something...

Yeah it's likely something PsyDoom is doing if everything else works OK. Hopefully the remaining issue (issues?!) can be found and eliminated soon. I will keep at it until this is finally 100% working!

link since large screenshot

I did a couple of tests. At the usual resolutions I run windowed old games at (1280x960 and 1920x1080), when turning off 4x MSAA, the game would simply become a seizurefest, sometimes rendering black, sometimes rendering a perfectly normal frame, so I tried some other resolutions, like fullscreen 2560x1440, which produced the exciting new artifacting that was seen in the screenshot above. This is definitely more what I would think of with a sync bug.

Unfortunately still can't even enable the rendrerer on an RX 5700 XT. :(

Scratch that, it's working absolutely fine now <3

Screenshot 2021-03-24 075647.png

Edited by Muusi

18 minutes ago, SaladBadger said:

link since large screenshot

I did a couple of tests. At the usual resolutions I run windowed old games at (1280x960 and 1920x1080), when turning off 4x MSAA, the game would simply become a seizurefest, sometimes rendering black, sometimes rendering a perfectly normal frame, so I tried some other resolutions, like fullscreen 2560x1440, which produced the exciting new artifacting that was seen in the screenshot above. This is definitely more what I would think of with a sync bug.

Thanks for the info, appreciate it! Sounds like it's not the just the MSAA render path then, hmmm... I had a look over setup for that and it looks like the subpass dependencies and all that stuff are correct. Really hoping this new card can shine some light on the situation...

14 minutes ago, Muusi said:

Unfortunately still can't even enable the rendrerer on an RX 5700 XT. :(

Scratch that, it's working absolutely fine now <3

Screenshot 2021-03-24 075647.png

Glad to hear you are up and running! Yeah sorry I forgot to mention earlier that if the Vulkan renderer was previously disabled (but now supported) then you will need to manually enable it again from either the extra options menu or by using the the ` key. PsyDoom remembers whether you had the Vulkan or Classic renderer in use last time round so it would default back into classic mode if that's what was used last.

0.7.2 solved my problem with Vulkan not rendering anything on my Nvidia 750 Ti. YAYYY :D

I also didn't have a problem with MSAA x4 (but I disabled it and enabled double native resolution for a more faithful look)

I think you should consider using widescreen gfx when widescreen is enabled. For the HUD, the intermission etc. Like some ports have started doing. Also, maybe you could make ESC directly open the menu?

Also, maybe you could add shader support? Aren't you curious how PsyDOom looks with CRT-Royale? heheheh

1 hour ago, VGA said:

I think you should consider using widescreen gfx when widescreen is enabled. For the HUD, the intermission etc.

If widescreen PSX versions of the said graphics exist in the first place, I know there's a wad with various widescreen huds, including the PSX one, but other PSX graphics, I don't know.