Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
intacowetrust

PsyDoom 1.1.1 - PSX Doom port (reverse engineered) for PC

17 minutes ago, Impboy4 said:

Strobe lighting is a hardcoded feature of Doom.

Which is exactly why it wouldn't be hard to optionally disable it when you're updating a source port...

On 7/19/2021 at 9:35 PM, Wavy said:

Also, where do I find PSX_MISSING_ENEMIES.WAD? Do I need to make it myself from sprites from the Doom 2 IWAD?

That's correct. I avoided supplying this as an extra file in the PsyDoom repository just as a precaution (in case there are complaints) but it's easy enough to create this WAD for custom maps. You just need to add in the 'S_START' and 'S_END' markers, copy in the required enemy sprite lumps from DOOM2.WAD and then batch convert them all to the PSX texture format using the latest Slade betas.

On 7/20/2021 at 3:03 PM, Impboy4 said:

Change Doom.cue to Final Doom.cue

Thanks for answering that question!

On 7/20/2021 at 11:36 PM, Lollie said:

What I meant was a way to monitor when a map would exceed the original limits, even while higher limits are being used, and then pop up a message as a warning (or print to log.txt). Though now that I know that the "LIMIT_REMOVING" switch is available when building, I guess it'd be sensible for someone targeting compatibility with PSX Doom to just use a custom build. (Unless someone wants to make PsyDoom Render Limits)

Yeah the non-limit removing custom build should get you much closer to the PSX limits. There are still things that can't accurately be reproduced in PsyDoom however such as frame-rate/performance and also main RAM usage. Because PsyDoom is a 64-bit program certain data structures in the game become bigger and more memory must be allocated to compensate for this. My compensation for this is overly generous, in order to keep the game working. If you want to be absolutely sure you stay within the PSX limits and get an acceptable level of performance then an emulator is probably what you need.

On 7/22/2021 at 6:37 PM, SteelPH said:

Any chance this'll get save games? Passwords can be a tad cumbersome and aren't the most accurate at keeping your stats in tact.

After interpolation for enemies and sectors, this will probably be the next thing I will look at.

14 hours ago, Gez said:

No no limits, we'll reach for the sky!

No vissprite too thick, no visplane too high.

No no limits, won't give up the fight!

We map what we want, and we map it with pride.

13 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Hard to the core, i texture the floor

When i'm in Slade, yo, ya answer more
I'm playing in Edge, i know the match
Compiling real hard to generate my WAD, stat !
Tick tick ticka tick taking my time
When i'm goin' i'm goin' for mine
Open your eyes and you will see it
I tell you this 'cause there's no limit!

No no limits, we'll reach a custom sky!

No sidedef too thick, no sidedef too high.

No no limits, won't give up the fight!

We mod what we want, and we mod it with pride.

Someone needs to absolutely record this... :D

6 hours ago, Ruritanian said:

Is it possible to add an accessibility setting to switch off strobe lighting?

Would this be for players with Epilepsy? While I appreciate the desire to make the game more accessible, I'm not sure I would feel comfortable in advertising or suggesting the game as safe for players with this condition - even with strobe or flickering lights removed. There might be lots of other things like sudden changes in scenery or light levels caused by teleporters, Chaingunners flickering on and off in the dark when firing, sudden explosions etc. that might be potential issues for photosensitive people. There are plenty of other non-photosensitive triggers to consider too, like stress and loud noises... I'll admit to knowing very little about the condition but I think a fast paced FPS like Doom might not be the safest of games to play, even if all lighting is removed and fullbright mode is constantly activated.

55 minutes ago, intacowetrust said:

Someone needs to absolutely record this... :D

Would this be for players with Epilepsy? While I appreciate the desire to make the game more accessible, I'm not sure I would feel comfortable in advertising or suggesting the game as safe for players with this condition - even with strobe or flickering lights removed. There might be lots of other things like sudden changes in scenery or light levels caused by teleporters, Chaingunners flickering on and off in the dark when firing, sudden explosions etc. that might be potential issues for photosensitive people. There are plenty of other non-photosensitive triggers to consider too, like stress and loud noises... I'll admit to knowing very little about the condition but I think a fast paced FPS like Doom might not be the safest of games to play, even if all lighting is removed and fullbright mode is constantly activated.

Fair enough.

FWIW, the topic of flashing lights as potential epileptic triggers has come up in the Master Edition thread before (particularly around Pages 56 and 57). I suggested slowing down the speed (or smoothing the variance in brightness) of certain strobing light effects at an engine level, so that the lighting effect is still retained, just not as rapid/strong.

Unfortunately there's only so much that can be done to account for epilepsy triggers, since a lot of potential flashing triggers are a result of gameplay. But I do still feel it's worth considering for map lighting, at the very least.

Edited by Lollie

Realistically speaking, the engine on PSX only tics logic at 15 Hz, so literally the fastest the strobing could be would be about 8x a second.

Obviously people with epileptic conditions should play in a well-lit room or take other precautions.

As source port devs I think we need to start taking accessibility more seriously - having an option to disable flashing light and palette effects would go a long way toward this.

53 minutes ago, Quasar said:

As source port devs I think we need to start taking accessibility more seriously - having an option to disable flashing light and palette effects would go a long way toward this.

this isnt really the place to talk about this but modders should  care about stuff like this too i know some people who cant play doom mods that make the chaingun faster because of the flashing lights like doom zero for example

its a shame that people cant play such a good mod because of something so minor

1 hour ago, Chris0neilson said:

My old psxdoom builder wall too texture stretched. How fix to get rid of texture stretched.

Psxdoom_editor.png

Use Ultimate Doom Builder and/or the latest PSXDoom plugin, if possible?

14 minutes ago, Chris0neilson said:

Psxdoom builder (Gzdoom)

I know you use that. Did you try my suggestion, or are you using Google Translate to communicate?

13 minutes ago, Chris0neilson said:

Builder.exe is missing. DoomBuilderPsxV1

Files1.png

Redownload and try again. It could be your anti-virus sensing a false positive.

Look, I'll prove it exists cuz I have it too: image.png.3d819af29e7db869ae5639b86c85abd8.png

Obviously you're doing something wrong or your antivirus is acting up.

2 hours ago, Chris0neilson said:

Psxdoom_editor2.png

Do note that the texture stretching is actually accurate in older versions of PSX Doom GEC Master Edition - the original PSX Renderer could only handle a texture tiling vertically once, so any textures over 256 high would actually stretch.

This won't be the case anymore in Beta 4, but as Beta 3 is the latest, the textures will still stretch if you're running it on actual PSX Hardware.

PsyDoom won't really care, though, I think.

Hey :)

Thanks for 0.8.0 Release.

I think you forgot the mouse up and down controls. :p   .Is there a chance that it will still be implemented as an option/Optional?.

52 minutes ago, Marty2Doom said:

Hey :)

Thanks for 0.8.0 Release.

I think you forgot the mouse up and down controls. :p   .Is there a chance that it will still be implemented as an option/Optional?.

It's trying to be as close to PSX Doom as possible; therefore, mouselook like that isn't intended to be in the cards, I think.

It'll definitely never be standard, and I'm not trying to put words in Taco's mouth here, so if he says it ain't gonna be in, then that's that. :P

9 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

It's trying to be as close to PSX Doom as possible; therefore, mouselook like that isn't intended to be in the cards, I think.

It'll definitely never be standard, and I'm not trying to put words in Taco's mouth here, so if he says it ain't gonna be in, then that's that. :P

Yeah, @Marty2Doom if you really want freelook in PSX Doom, there's always PSX Doom CE or GEC GZDoom (DZDoom) versions.

On 7/29/2021 at 1:07 PM, Dark Pulse said:

PsyDoom won't really care, though, I think.

Correct. PsyDoom allows arbitrarily tall sectors without texture stretching for both the Vulkan and classic renderers. It's possible to get the original stretching behavior for the classic renderer (only) however, but only if you do a custom non limit removing build.

On 7/30/2021 at 8:32 PM, Marty2Doom said:

Hey @Marty2Doom PsyDoom doesn't support this feature intentionally, sorry.