Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
intacowetrust

PsyDoom 0.8.3 - PSX Doom port (reverse engineered) for PC

Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

It needs a PSX ROM.

Then no can do.  I don't own any console Doom except the Unity Port..  though I had the Saturn version as a kid (pity accepted).

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you all for the kind words!

 

On 11/8/2021 at 9:42 AM, ChopBlock223 said:

It's highly bizarre to me that they can dictate that, do you have a union to consult?

 

There's no union in my case - those are pretty rare in the games industry at the moment. The policy is intended to prevent conflicts of interest and is a typical thing in most software jobs that you must agree to. This particular policy happened to be a lot more broad and restrictive than what I had previously though, which is why PsyDoom ultimately got affected.

 

On 11/9/2021 at 12:28 PM, CoTeCiO said:

I can imagine it's a huge hit to be deprived of working on your projects.

 

It's a frustrating situation for sure, and also somewhat shortsighted IMHO. I often learn things from side projects that add to my experience and skills which then carry over and benefit my day job - closing that avenue for personal development doesn't benefit anyone. I understand the need for conflict of interest policies and am not against them in general, but this one isn't an entirely fair one in my opinion. I could try and fight it or get an exemption but I'd wager that might be a waste of time and could even backfire in some ways. Instead I've decided that the best course of action is to simply bide my time and wait until the situation changes before resuming work on the project.

 

12 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

I am very sorry this had to end on this note.

 

I don't yet consider the project ended, as far as I'm concerned it's unfinished business. I would rather say that it's just paused for now, to be resumed later. I know that sounds somewhat optimistic on my part (it could be years until I am ready) but I want to see this through to completion. Especially so, considering it's already so close to the finish line.

Share this post


Link to post

I have the same thing in my professional field too, about the conflicts of interest (its far more restrictive too).

 

Though I'd be happy to get binaries for Linux done and M1 stuff, but since I don't have a ROM, we would need someone else who does (and who has the hardware) to test it.

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Gibbon said:

I have the same thing in my professional field too, about the conflicts of interest (its far more restrictive too).

 

Though I'd be happy to get binaries for Linux done and M1 stuff, but since I don't have a ROM, we would need someone else who does (and who has the hardware) to test it.

Could still quite easily obtain discs on the internet off sites like eBay or whatnot. About $25-65 depending on condition (i.e; disc-only vs. complete-in-box).

 

Two examples (one of them even being an OG Big Box release):

 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353757031543

 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115070337058

Share this post


Link to post
On jeudi 11 novembre 2021 at 7:29 AM, intacowetrust said:

There's no union in my case - those are pretty rare in the games industry at the moment. The policy is intended to prevent conflicts of interest and is a typical thing in most software jobs that you must agree to. This particular policy happened to be a lot more broad and restrictive than what I had previously though, which is why PsyDoom ultimately got affected.

It's not just software. E.g. the webcomic Daughter of the Lilies is on a one-year hiatus for contract reasons.
 

Quote

 

Q: Will you still be working on the comic?

A: YES. We just can't share anything new that we make after October 18, 2021 without coming into conflict with my current contract.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/7/2021 at 6:19 PM, Dark Pulse said:

Corporations should not get to dictate what you do on your free time unless it's in direct competition to them.

At least their not claming it as their own intellectual property since It's been worked on it company time and/or on their computers.

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, BrutalDoomisAwesome said:

At least their not claming it as their own intellectual property since It's been worked on it company time and/or on their computers.

Why would it be worked on during company time or on their computers?

 

Huh? Why would you make such a comment in the first place?

Share this post


Link to post

Sad to see this project put on hold due these kinds of things by employers.  Let us hope this madness ends sooner rather than later.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×