Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
intacowetrust

PsyDoom 1.1.1 - PSX Doom port (reverse engineered) for PC

Is there a way to run this without the launcher? I would like to be able to run this through Kodi in a couch setup, without mouse/KB.

@intacowetrust Just another big thankyou for the work you've done to date and for keeping working on this, fantastic stuff!!!

On the latest Windows version, is there a way to play borderless and windowed at the same time? (so without the white PsyDoom 1.1.1 bar at the top)

Had a quick play around with the output settings but couldn't immediately get it to work

Edited by francis247uk

20 hours ago, TasAcri said:

Is there a way to run this without the launcher? I would like to be able to run this through Kodi in a couch setup, without mouse/KB.

I'm unfamiliar with Kodi, but if you're able to set up a shortcut with command line options, try "psydoom.exe -nolauncher" - Note that in order for this to work as-is, you will need to open the launcher once so that you can set your Default Game Disc. (in the "Game" tab!)

A complete list of command line arguments can be found here: https://github.com/BodbDearg/PsyDoom#Command-line-arguments

On 6/19/2023 at 12:31 PM, francis247uk said:

On the latest Windows version, is there a way to play borderless and windowed at the same time? (so without the white PsyDoom 1.1.1 bar at the top)

Had a quick play around with the output settings but couldn't immediately get it to work

There is not I'm afraid, the only borderless windowed mode is fullscreen. What you ask is technically possible to do in Windows of course (and probably other platforms) but it wouldn't be great from a user perspective since you need the borders to be able to drag and resize the window with the mouse.

On 6/19/2023 at 5:38 PM, Lollie said:

Note that in order for this to work as-is, you will need to open the launcher once so that you can set your Default Game Disc. (in the "Game" tab!)

Just to add also that you can specify the disc to use via the '-cue' command line option if you prefer. This will override whatever disc you set as the default and could be used to make multiple shortcuts for different game discs:

The .cue file used can be manually specified on launch via -cue <CUE_FILE_PATH>.

Thanks so much for putting this all together, @intacowetrust

I've been reading through this thread from the beginning, and while I don't understand a single word of the technical side of things, there's something deeply enjoyable about seeing you add feature after feature and fixing all the bugs people come up with. Tried it myself tonight and it works like a dream. I think I'll do a full playthrough inbetween other games. Keep up the incredible work!

Your best bet would be to find your PsyDoom configuration files in your AppData folder, and copy them to your PsyDoom folder. Here's a quote from @intacowetrust with all the relevant info for you:

On 2/19/2021 at 8:17 AM, intacowetrust said:

[...] try putting the following location into the Windows Explorer address bar, or by pressing Windows + R and inputting this path into the 'open' field:

%APPDATA%\com.codelobster\PsyDoom

The configuration folder should open up for you then. [...] Please note you also need to launch PsyDoom first in order for these files to be generated, first time around.

[...] if you want your config files to reside in the same folder as PsyDoom then you can just copy them all out to that folder. If PsyDoom detects these config files in its own folder/working-directory, then they will take precedence over the ones in AppData and be used instead.

3 hours ago, Lollie said:

Your best bet would be to find your PsyDoom configuration files in your AppData folder, and copy them to your PsyDoom folder. Here's a quote from @intacowetrust with all the relevant info for you:

The save files are still going into the Appdata folder though so it's still not fully portable.

2 hours ago, SilverMiner said:

how do I idclev?

The same as usual, but before you type in the desired level number, you'll already be given the freedom to pick which level you'd like to warp to.

32 minutes ago, taufan99 said:

The same as usual, but before you type in the desired level number, you'll already be given the freedom to pick which level you'd like to warp to.

thanks

So I recently found a pre-owned copy of PSX Doom, and today I tried extracting the data necessary for PsyDoom to play it, using PowerISO to get a .bin file and then this website to get a .cue file from that. It seems I've done something wrong though, because none of the CD tracks play. The title screen and main menu are silent, and Club Doom has the same ambient track playing throughout. Does anyone have any advice? It's the PAL version if that helps at all.

EDIT: Never mind, it seems PowerISO also made a .cue file and I just didn't notice, and moving it into the same folder I put the .bin file into has fixed things.

Edited by SiFi270

On 11/28/2023 at 4:05 PM, SiFi270 said:

So I recently found a pre-owned copy of PSX Doom, and today I tried extracting the data necessary for PsyDoom to play it, using PowerISO to get a .bin file and then this website to get a .cue file from that. It seems I've done something wrong though, because none of the CD tracks play. The title screen and main menu are silent, and Club Doom has the same ambient track playing throughout. Does anyone have any advice? It's the PAL version if that helps at all.

EDIT: Never mind, it seems PowerISO also made a .cue file and I just didn't notice, and moving it into the same folder I put the .bin file into has fixed things.

Yeah, the CUE matters, as that's what tells where the data ends and the audio begins. :P

Is there a way I can make PsyDoom adhere to vanilla limits? (i.e. VRAM limitations, wall heights etc) What about Master Edition's extended limits (still limited VRAM but supports taller walls and such).

On 12/16/2023 at 6:21 AM, Individualised said:

Is there a way I can make PsyDoom adhere to vanilla limits? (i.e. VRAM limitations, wall heights etc) What about Master Edition's extended limits (still limited VRAM but supports taller walls and such).

You can, but you have to edit all the settings in the launcher to match the actual hardware limitations.

Is the development still ongoing, or some specific goals have already been achieved, making the whole project less-priority?

'd love to see the Soft renderer similar to the PC DOOM soft renderer (but 16 bit and all).

9 hours ago, lafoxxx said:

Is the development still ongoing, or some specific goals have already been achieved, making the whole project less-priority?

'd love to see the Soft renderer similar to the PC DOOM soft renderer (but 16 bit and all).

The only real reason for updating it would be if PlayStation Doom Master Edition makes another release.

Merry Christmas everyone!

@tsmiller Just got a Steam Deck for Christmas, saw your post a few pages back, please could you provide step by step instructions on exactly how to install this on a Steam Deck if possible?

I checked the release page and there's 3 different Linux versions, also not sure how to make the mouse mapped to the trackpads to use in the launcher & to create a mapping for 'esc'

Do you even still need to do this for the latest version of Psydoom...

On 12/16/2023 at 3:21 AM, Individualised said:

Just partially: you can adjust the size of VRAM and SPU RAM in the launcher to match the original hardware limits. You can also adjust the size of the main memory heap available to the game; it's impossible to emulate that particular limit precisely however because the layout and size of various different data structures (e.g map things) have changed somewhat in PsyDoom, making them take up more memory in some cases than the original game. This is due to the game now being compiled for 64-bit instead of 32-bit (pointers are 2x larger) and also because of additional data added to support new features found in PsyDoom.

Many of the limits or limit removing changes however are hardcoded into the engine because it is impractical to change them at runtime. I do have a setting in the CMake file to enable/disable these changes called 'PSYDOOM_LIMIT_REMOVING' but you'd have to build your own binary to turn it off. Building your own binary for 32-bit will also get you closer too in terms of emulating the original memory heap size and allocation limits, but not 100% due to PsyDoom changes.

On 12/24/2023 at 6:55 AM, lafoxxx said:

All my main goals for the project have been achieved, so at the minute I would say it is in maintenance mode. Lately I have been busy working on another retro related project in my spare time, and have been very much focused on that. I may still put out the occasional update to fix bugs (as needed) or support things like future releases of the Master Edition, however.

On 1/9/2024 at 10:04 AM, intacowetrust said:

Just partially: you can adjust the size of VRAM and SPU RAM in the launcher to match the original hardware limits. You can also adjust the size of the main memory heap available to the game; it's impossible to emulate that particular limit precisely however because the layout and size of various different data structures (e.g map things) have changed somewhat in PsyDoom, making them take up more memory in some cases than the original game. This is due to the game now being compiled for 64-bit instead of 32-bit (pointers are 2x larger) and also because of additional data added to support new features found in PsyDoom.

Many of the limits or limit removing changes however are hardcoded into the engine because it is impractical to change them at runtime. I do have a setting in the CMake file to enable/disable these changes called 'PSYDOOM_LIMIT_REMOVING' but you'd have to build your own binary to turn it off. Building your own binary for 32-bit will also get you closer too in terms of emulating the original memory heap size and allocation limits, but not 100% due to PsyDoom changes.

All my main goals for the project have been achieved, so at the minute I would say it is in maintenance mode. Lately I have been busy working on another retro related project in my spare time, and have been very much focused on that. I may still put out the occasional update to fix bugs (as needed) or support things like future releases of the Master Edition, however.

Thank you for what you did with this!  Playing the PS1 version of Final Doom on this source port was amazing!

On 1/9/2024 at 5:04 PM, intacowetrust said:

Excuse the bump, but what about support for custom MP3/OGG/etc. tracks? That'd be another nice way to add such custom music, as I believe not everyone has the same forte on using DAW/VSTs and putting them through the audio tools (which we last got way back in version 0.8.0!).

Apologies for such a basic question, but how do I take a screenshot in Psydoom? Neither F12 nor printscreen seem to work.