Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
intacowetrust

PsyDoom 1.1.1 - PSX Doom port (reverse engineered) for PC

1 minute ago, intacowetrust said:

Coincidentally I was working on fixing this issue tonight; in the next release you shouldn't need to worry about case.

Awesome stuff! Thanks for all the work on PsyDoom!

Hi all, quick question: Is there any way in theory to be able to also play the "Lost Levels" on PsyDoom from the Playstation Doom TC?

No, at least not those lost levels. They're meant to work with the PSX Doom TC for GZDoom, which uses GZDoom features to approximate PSX Doom behavior. So it looks as much as possible like PSX Doom, but it's not actually compatible.

After the TC and its "Lost Levels" add-on was finished, however, there was an increase in interest in PSX Doom's technicalities, which led to the "GEC Master Edition" stuff and PsyDoom. And as part of one of the GEC ME projects, there's an attempt at redoing the "Lost Levels" but in an actually-compatible way, complete with testing the converted levels on emulators or even on a real PSX. Those levels should work fine in PsyDoom.

Super thanks for the update and confirming @Gez- are you able to describe how to set it up or point me in the right direction, no worries if not.

Sorry, I haven't actually tried to use it yet, so I don't know. You should probably ask in the GEC PSX thread. It's been inactive for a while, it'd be good for it to get some more activity, remind the involved people there's still interest in it. :)

Hey @francis247uk in order for maps to be playable with PsyDoom, they must first be converted to the PlayStation engine's map format. The GEC Master Edition project does that and can run on the real hardware, or in an emulator. It's essentially the Lost Levels, except in PSX engine format and stripped down for the PSX hardware's limitations.

I'm planning to add official support for the GEC ME in a future release of PsyDoom, once beta 4 becomes available and some important changes that @Erick194 is currently working on make their way into the project.

For now it is still possible to play the levels from the GEC ME in PsyDoom (albeit in a roundabout way) by using the '-datadir' command line argument. I've described the process for doing that here:

I wonder could this be in the far future run on a Raspberry Pi 3? Would love to play this on a CRT tv😍

6 hours ago, Muusi said:

I wonder could this be in the far future run on a Raspberry Pi 3? Would love to play this on a CRT tv😍

Try wine

11 hours ago, Muusi said:

I think the software renderer would work, but obviously you wouldn't get the accelerated Vulkan renderer. You'd need a Pi 4 for that, apparently.

20 hours ago, Muusi said:

When Linux is supported in future it should be possible natively; not sure how well WINE would work. It will likely be software renderer only though, unless the RPI 3 gets Vulkan support. In addition to this you might need to custom compile to target the 32-bit OS, since PsyDoom will only officially be supplying 64-bit builds. In 32-bit mode performance might be reduced somewhat. No idea how well it would perform as well, I have an RPI 3 in the cupboard though so could give it a shot when the time comes.

14 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

I think the software renderer would work, but obviously you wouldn't get the accelerated Vulkan renderer. You'd need a Pi 4 for that, apparently.

In my case the lack of Vulkan would be alright since on a CRT even with an RGB signal, you get diminishing returns in image quality when you go up in internal resolution. I'm just fantasizing about a locked 60fps but otherwise accurate PSX Doom gameplay on my old tv<3

I also have a Pi4 so it would be still interesting to see how the Vulkan renderer would look. 

5 hours ago, intacowetrust said:

I have an RPI 3 in the cupboard though so could give it a shot when the time comes.

E X C I T E D

I just found out about this fantastic project. I'd only played the TC's for Z based ports previously.

I'm having trouble setting it up though, as it either gives off a fatal error, or doesn't boot up at all.

Could you help me out figuring it out?

2 hours ago, Adamast0r said:

I just found out about this fantastic project. I'd only played the TC's for Z based ports previously.

I'm having trouble setting it up though, as it either gives off a fatal error, or doesn't boot up at all.

Could you help me out figuring it out?

What's your GPU? If your GPU doesn't support Vulkan 1.1, you'll need to have it run in software rendering mode.

Better yet, knowing your system specs would be ideal. If you don't know what you've got, nab CPU-Z and take a snapshot of its "Graphics" tab.

Also, on the (very slim) chance you're still using a 32-bit OS, you're out of luck completely. Sorry.

2 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

What's your GPU? If your GPU doesn't support Vulkan 1.1, you'll need to have it run in software rendering mode.

Better yet, knowing your system specs would be ideal. If you don't know what you've got, nab CPU-Z and take a snapshot of its "Graphics" tab.

Also, on the (very slim) chance you're still using a 32-bit OS, you're out of luck completely. Sorry.

I don't think that's the issue. I'm on 64-bit Windows 10, and I disable Vulkan, as I prefer to stick closer to the original look.

I think it has to do with the cue detection or some such.

4 minutes ago, Adamast0r said:

I don't think that's the issue. I'm on 64-bit Windows 10, and I disable Vulkan, as I prefer to stick closer to the original look.

I think it has to do with the cue detection or some such.

Okay, just wanted to be sure your system wasn't unsupported.

The easiest way to launch it would be to put it in the same directory as the EXE, so you'd need to take all of the BIN and CUE files, put them in the same folder as PsyDoom's EXE, and make sure that in game_cfg.ini, CueFilePath refers to the same name as the CUE. (In this case, it'd become something like CueFilePath = Doom.cue) If you want it elsewhere, you'd need to specify the path to it (i.e; C:\PsyDoom\ISO\Doom.cue as an example).

If it's still not launching, open up the CUE and check the filenames of the BIN files are correct as well. For example, the one I've got looks like this:

FILE "Doom (USA) (Track 1).bin" BINARY
  TRACK 01 MODE2/2352
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
FILE "Doom (USA) (Track 2).bin" BINARY
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    INDEX 00 00:00:00
    INDEX 01 00:02:00
FILE "Doom (USA) (Track 3).bin" BINARY
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
FILE "Doom (USA) (Track 4).bin" BINARY
  TRACK 04 AUDIO
FILE "Doom (USA) (Track 5).bin" BINARY
  TRACK 05 AUDIO
FILE "Doom (USA) (Track 6).bin" BINARY
  TRACK 06 AUDIO
FILE "Doom (USA) (Track 7).bin" BINARY
  TRACK 07 AUDIO
FILE "Doom (USA) (Track 8).bin" BINARY
  TRACK 08 AUDIO

If the BIN filenames do not match the ones in the CUE, you'd either need to rename them to what's in the CUE, or edit the CUE to reflect the filenames they have.

2 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

The easiest way to launch it would be to put it in the same directory as the EXE, so you'd need to take all of the BIN and CUE files, put them in the same folder as PsyDoom's EXE, and make sure that in game_cfg.ini, CueFilePath refers to the same name as the CUE. (In this case, it'd become something like CueFilePath = Doom.cue)

That must be it then. I just figured the exe would launch the files as they are. What sort of editor do I need to use to edit either the cue or the bin files?

16 minutes ago, Adamast0r said:

That must be it then. I just figured the exe would launch the files as they are. What sort of editor do I need to use to edit either the cue or the bin files?

Any old text editor will work. I use Notepad++ for example.

I think you're kind of misunderstanding though, so I'll try to make it clearer.

Let's keep using my example as mentioned above, so my ISO dump of PSX Doom is named like this:

Doom.cue
Doom (USA) (Track 1).bin
Doom (USA) (Track 2).bin
Doom (USA) (Track 3).bin
Doom (USA) (Track 4).bin
Doom (USA) (Track 5).bin
Doom (USA) (Track 6).bin
Doom (USA) (Track 7).bin
Doom (USA) (Track 8).bin

The easiest way to make it run would be to put them all in the same directory as PsyDoom.exe, then open up game_cfg.ini, and have CueFilePath = Doom.cue. That means PsyDoom will look for a file named Doom.cue in the same folder as its EXE, and assuming it finds it, read it. The game should then run, assuming the CUE is correctly pointing to the BIN files.

But let's say instead that it doesn't launch because my BIN files anre named "DoomPSX (Track 1).bin" and so on. I'd have to open up the CUE file in a text editor, and I find that it's looking for "Doom (USA) (Track 1).bin" and so on instead. The game wouldn't launch, because the CUE is looking for BIN files that aren't there - it's looking for "Doom (USA) (Track 1).bin" and so on, not finding it, and bombing out.

My options then would be to either rename the files in Windows (back to "Doom (USA) (Track 1).bin"), or to rename the files in the cuesheet (to "DoomPSX (Track 1).bin") so that it knows what BIN files to look for.

Adding in a directory isn't much harder. Let's say you wanted to put Doom's ISO files into C:\PsyDoom\ISO\Doom and Final Doom's ISO files into C:\PsyDoom\ISO\FinalDoom. CueFilePath would then become C:\PsyDoom\ISO\Doom\Doom.cue, and when you wanted to play Final Doom, you'd change that to C:\PsyDoom\ISO\FinalDoom\FinalDoom.cue.

This, of course, presumes your CUE files are named Doom.cue/FinalDoom.cue. If not, well, name them whatever they are.

And of course, if you're using spaces anywhere in the path or the filename, you'd want to enclose it in quotes. It will probably choke on C:\PsyDoom\ISO\Final Doom\Final Doom.cue, but not if you do "C:\PsyDoom\ISO\Final Doom\Final Doom.cue".

Edited by Dark Pulse

7 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

The easiest way to make it run would be to put them all in the same directory as PsyDoom.exe, then open up game_cfg.ini, and have CueFilePath = Doom.cue. That means PsyDoom will look for a file named Doom.cue in the same folder as its EXE, and assuming it finds it, read it. The game should then run, assuming the CUE is correctly pointing to the BIN files.

But let's say instead that it doesn't launch. I'd have to open up the CUE file in a text editor, and I find that it's looking for "Doom (USA) (Track 1).bin" and so on instead. The game wouldn't launch, because the CUE is looking for BIN files that aren't there - I had "DoomPSX (Track 1).bin" and so on, and it's looking for "Doom (USA) (Track 1).bin" and so on, not finding it, and bombing out.

My options then would be to either rename the files in Windows (back to "Doom (USA) (Track 1).bin"), or to rename the files in the cuesheet (to "DoomPSX (Track 1).bin") so that it knows what BIN files to look for.

Adding in a directory isn't much harder. Let's say you wanted to put Doom's ISO files into C:\PsyDoom\ISO\Doom and Final Doom's ISO files into C:\PsyDoom\ISO\FinalDoom. CueFilePath would then become C:\PsyDoom\ISO\Doom\Doom.cue, and when you wanted to play Final Doom, you'd change that to C:\PsyDoom\ISO\FinalDoom\FinalDoom.cue.

This, of course, presumes your CUE files are named Doom.cue/FinalDoom.cue. If not, well, name them whatever they are.

And of course, if you're using spaces anywhere in the path or the filename, you'd want to enclose it in quotes. It might choke on C:\PsyDoom\ISO\Fina lDoom\Final Doom.cue, but not if you do "C:\PsyDoom\ISO\Final Doom\Final Doom.cue".

Opening my Doom.cue it looks like this:

FILE "DOOM.BIN" BINARY
REM SESSION 01
  TRACK 01 MODE2/2352
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 07:59:14
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 11:10:33
  TRACK 04 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 13:08:27
  TRACK 05 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 17:06:31
  TRACK 06 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 20:34:42
  TRACK 07 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 22:44:44
  TRACK 08 AUDIO
    INDEX 01 23:40:31

Okay, so then it dumped it all as one BIN rather than multiple BIN tracks. That's also okay and still totally viable.

In that case, your Doom.cue is looking for the BIN file to be named DOOM.BIN. If it's not (including the caps), it will bomb out.

So your solution would be to either edit that first line so it reads as...

FILE "Doom.bin" BINARY

...and then make sure that's how your BIN is named in Windows as well, or to rename your cue to DOOM.CUE and it should then work. (Generally speaking, a CUE is generally going to be named identically to its BIN except for the file extension.)

14 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Okay, so then it dumped it all as one BIN rather than multiple BIN tracks. That's also okay and still totally viable.

In that case, your Doom.cue is looking for the BIN file to be named DOOM.BIN. If it's not (including the caps), it will bomb out.

So your solution would be to either edit that first line so it reads as...

FILE "Doom.bin" BINARY

...and then make sure that's how your BIN is named in Windows as well, or to rename your cue to DOOM.CUE and it should then work. (Generally speaking, a CUE is generally going to be named identically to its BIN except for the file extension.)

How about this error?

issue.png.02f6b463700e8e6c749f8bc36c5f53f1.png

14 minutes ago, Adamast0r said:

How about this error?

issue.png.02f6b463700e8e6c749f8bc36c5f53f1.png

Hmm. I get what it's saying, but I'm not 100% sure on the fix...

Before each of the audio tracks, try adding INDEX 00 00:00:00 above the INDEX 01 entries. Don't do that for the MODE2/2352 track, just the audio ones (so Tracks 2 and up).

3 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Before each of the audio tracks, try adding INDEX 00 00:00:00 above the INDEX 01 entries.

Damn. I think I just did what you suggested, and it gives off the same error. I'm really not getting it.

In other words, it looks like this?

FILE "DOOM.BIN" BINARY
REM SESSION 01
  TRACK 01 MODE2/2352
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
  TRACK 04 AUDIO
  TRACK 05 AUDIO
  TRACK 06 AUDIO
  TRACK 07 AUDIO
  TRACK 08 AUDIO

Also, when I open the Doom.bin with Notepad++ it's completely empty. Don't know if that's really supposed to be the case.

Don't modify any of the BIN files with the text editor. The only thing you'd touch on the BINs would be filenames.

Try this then...

FILE "DOOM.BIN" BINARY
REM SESSION 01
  TRACK 01 MODE2/2352
  TRACK 02 AUDIO
    INDEX 00 07:57:14
  TRACK 03 AUDIO
    INDEX 00 11:08:33
  TRACK 04 AUDIO
    INDEX 00 13:06:27
  TRACK 05 AUDIO
    INDEX 00 17:04:31
  TRACK 06 AUDIO
    INDEX 00 20:32:42
  TRACK 07 AUDIO
    INDEX 00 22:42:44
  TRACK 08 AUDIO
    INDEX 00 23:38:31

Only thing I can think of then is that PsyDoom does not like BIN/CUE rips that are a single BIN file instead of a per-track BIN file, and you'd have to re-rip it as a ISO/CUE or as a split-track BIN/CUE.

Paging @intacowetrust for clarification here.