Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
intacowetrust

PsyDoom 1.1.1 - PSX Doom port (reverse engineered) for PC

This update is a wild one, I never expected any amount of Lua support! Doom 64-style gradient lighting is fun too, really hope map-makers take advantage of these features.

Seeing that limits have been raised/removed, is there a way to warn/log when a map exceeds PSX Doom limits? Maybe via a command line option?

On 7/16/2021 at 2:46 AM, Lollie said:

Seeing that limits have been raised/removed, is there a way to warn/log when a map exceeds PSX Doom limits? Maybe via a command line option?

No there isn't which is why we need something like that in the map editor.

I can't find a way to map the "start" button of the gamepad to bring the menu instead of pause. Tried to set it up in the config but it doesn't work. As a result, the game absolutely needs a keyboard nearby.

On 7/15/2021 at 11:46 PM, Lollie said:

Unfortunately a lot of the limits are decided at compile time, making them runtime switchable would be very painful in many cases. If you are building PsyDoom from source however you can disable a lot of the limit removing changes by unchecking this option in CMake:

image.png.6553020b10d9d592fba88d828a084792.png

I don't distribute such builds officially however because the preference is to just have everything work out of the box and avoid confusion.

On 7/18/2021 at 2:10 AM, Redneckerz said:

@intacowetrusti have updated the wiki page with the new changes. Interesting to see PsyDo become a limit-removing port!

Thank you very much for making these updates, much appreciated! :)

On 7/14/2021 at 6:40 AM, Chris0neilson said:

Texture on psxdoom_ext.wad not working

Hello @Chris0neilson are your texture lumps in the PlayStation Doom 'Graphic (PSX)' format?

image.png.984e4c40b46466becb45aae270d1ca2b.png

All flats and textures for PSX Doom need to be in this format. You'll need the very latest beta version of Slade also to convert into this format, as the feature was only added recently. Here's a link to the current latest build: https://slade.mancubus.net/files/3.2.0_beta/slade_3.2.0_b3_x64.7z

On 7/18/2021 at 3:59 AM, TasAcri said:

I can't find a way to map the "start" button of the gamepad to bring the menu instead of pause. Tried to set it up in the config but it doesn't work. As a result, the game absolutely needs a keyboard nearby.

On a gamepad you need to press 'start' (pause) followed by 'select' (menu back/map) in order to access the main menu - same as the original PlayStation bindings. There should be no need for a keyboard once you're in the game, there are control bindings for the PSX classic controller for example.

10 hours ago, MarcoDoom80 said:

hi, when i copy the final doom cue the psy doom don't work!!! only doom cue work....

Hi @MarcoDoom80 any more details on the error/issue you're seeing? Final Doom should be working fine, I tested with it just before this build was put out.

3 hours ago, intacowetrust said:

Hello @Chris0neilson are your texture lumps in the PlayStation Doom 'Graphic (PSX)' format?

image.png.984e4c40b46466becb45aae270d1ca2b.png

All flats and textures for PSX Doom need to be in this format. You'll need the very latest beta version of Slade also to convert into this format, as the feature was only added recently. Here's a link to the current latest build: https://slade.mancubus.net/files/3.2.0_beta/slade_3.2.0_b3_x64.7z

Yes. Texture lump. Replace wall and flat.

Psxdoom_ext2.png

Edited by Chris0neilson

48 minutes ago, Chris0neilson said:

Where is texture1.lmp?

PsyDoom doesn't use or need that lump anymore to make modding easier. For the PSX engine all that 'TEXTURE1' contains is just duplicate header information (size, sprite offset) for each texture in the game, so the engine knows what size everything is before actually loading it. I found ways to avoid the need for this however.

Just a thought, I noticed your wad file ends with lowercase '.wad' - can you try uppercasing to '.WAD' to see if that works? Perhaps there is a case sensitivity issue that needs to be fixed.

Yeah. Replace wall and flat. still not working.

Psydoom1.png.d4e1029c3092229d8950a1e6af01001e.png

But replace texture working on psxdoom.wad.

Psydoom2.png

Edited by Chris0neilson

Thanks for confirming @Chris0neilson I will investigate more - perhaps there is an issue with texture overrides. I've been mostly using new textures to test so perhaps a bug slipped through. Here's an example scene with new stuff from OTEX:

Untitled.jpg.83e509c42fd26e736200232cd34c9f7f.jpg

@Chris0neilson just committed a fix which will be in the next build. The change will allow you to override existing flats and textures using PSXDOOM_EXT.WAD. Here's Underhalls with some of the walls, the floor and the armor bonus sprites replaced to test:

Untitled.jpg.0bbb2239880e31e98579292fe1c9dca1.jpg

Now to think, I might put my Doom 64 "remake" on hold and make an upgraded version of PSX Doom with the original maps and textures, as well as gradient lighting!

Also, where do I find PSX_MISSING_ENEMIES.WAD? Do I need to make it myself from sprites from the Doom 2 IWAD?

1 hour ago, intacowetrust said:

@Chris0neilson just committed a fix which will be in the next build. The change will allow you to override existing flats and textures using PSXDOOM_EXT.WAD. Here's Underhalls with some of the walls, the floor and the armor bonus sprites replaced to test:

Untitled.jpg.0bbb2239880e31e98579292fe1c9dca1.jpg

Nice.

replace texture. and add texture.

10 hours ago, intacowetrust said:

Hi @MarcoDoom80 any more details on the error/issue you're seeing? Final Doom should be working fine, I tested with it just before this build was put out.

''a fatal error has occurred'' 

(Couldn't open or failed to parse the game disc.cue file 'doom.cue')

There is a something wrong? i upload the images

Thank you for the reply

Immagine.png

16 hours ago, MarcoDoom80 said:

''a fatal error has occurred'' 

(Couldn't open or failed to parse the game disc.cue file 'doom.cue')

There is a something wrong? i upload the images

Thank you for the reply

Immagine.png

PsyDoom comes with a shortcut to configuration files - use that, locate game_cfg.ini and open it

You now want to locate this:

image.png.17c1669cfb20aa0eb0992062fd9eaf3b.png

Change Doom.cue to Final Doom.cue

3 hours ago, Impboy4 said:

PsyDoom comes with a shortcut to configuration files - use that, locate game_cfg.ini and open it

May or may not need to put quotes in it due to spaces. If Final Doom.cue doesn't work, try "Final Doom.cue" instead.

EDIT: Apparently it can parse spaces in filenames just fine without quotes, so no need for that.

Edited by Dark Pulse

7 hours ago, Impboy4 said:

Thank you so much, now i can play :) forgive the banality of the question, it is recently that I am part of this community. However you're doing a really good job

6 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

May or may not need to put quotes in it due to spaces. If Final Doom.cue doesn't work, try "Final Doom.cue" instead.

EDIT: Apparently it can parse spaces in filenames just fine without quotes, so no need for that.

I succeeded, thanks for answering me!

On 7/20/2021 at 4:40 AM, intacowetrust said:

Unfortunately a lot of the limits are decided at compile time, making them runtime switchable would be very painful in many cases.

Ah, I didn't mean being able to switch limits! Good to see that this can be done with a custom build though.

What I meant was a way to monitor when a map would exceed the original limits, even while higher limits are being used, and then pop up a message as a warning (or print to log.txt). Though now that I know that the "LIMIT_REMOVING" switch is available when building, I guess it'd be sensible for someone targeting compatibility with PSX Doom to just use a custom build. (Unless someone wants to make PsyDoom Render Limits)

13 hours ago, Lollie said:

Ah, I didn't mean being able to switch limits! Good to see that this can be done with a custom build though.

What I meant was a way to monitor when a map would exceed the original limits, even while higher limits are being used, and then pop up a message as a warning (or print to log.txt). Though now that I know that the "LIMIT_REMOVING" switch is available when building, I guess it'd be sensible for someone targeting compatibility with PSX Doom to just use a custom build. (Unless someone wants to make PsyDoom Render Limits)

Realistically, I'd think that's something that could be done in an updated PsyDoom Builder or whatever. The engines should be worried about running it - the editors are the ones that should warn on limits.

I already proposed essentially four map formats:

1. OG PSX Doom
  2. OG PSX Final Doom (the limits do differ slightly, plus it'd need to be converted to ROM format)
  3. GEC Master Edition (other limits, like LEAFS, got raised here)
  4. PsyDoom (where essentially there's no limits)

Any chance this'll get save games? Passwords can be a tad cumbersome and aren't the most accurate at keeping your stats in tact.

23 hours ago, SteelPH said:

Any chance this'll get save games? Passwords can be a tad cumbersome and aren't the most accurate at keeping your stats in tact.

It should be in the next major release judging by PsyDoom's to-do list

On mercredi 21 juillet 2021 at 10:21 PM, Dark Pulse said:

there's no limits

No no limits, we'll reach for the sky!

No vissprite too thick, no visplane too high.

No no limits, won't give up the fight!

We map what we want, and we map it with pride.

48 minutes ago, Gez said:

No no limits, we'll reach for the sky!

No vissprite too thick, no visplane too high.

We map what we want, and we map it with pride.

Hard to the core, i texture the floor

When i'm in Slade, yo, ya answer more
I'm playing in Edge, i know the match
Compiling real hard to generate my WAD, stat !
Tick tick ticka tick taking my time
When i'm goin' i'm goin' for mine
Open your eyes and you will see it
I tell you this 'cause there's no limit!

No no limits, we'll reach a custom sky!

No sidedef too thick, no sidedef too high.

We mod what we want, and we mod it with pride.

5 hours ago, Ruritanian said:

Is it possible to add an accessibility setting to switch off strobe lighting?

Strobe lighting is a hardcoded feature of Doom. You can't disable it. If you're that concerned over this, then I suggest you find a different game my friend.