Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
intacowetrust

PsyDoom 1.1.1 - PSX Doom port (reverse engineered) for PC

Now at the latest, this is *THE* way to play PSX Doom. Ingenious port with so many useful and urgently needed features to make it fully enjoyable on PC, especially the saving feature and higher resolutions. 

17 hours ago, Erick194 said:

Great job @intacowetrust, glad to see support for beta 3, now get ready for beta 4, this one is coming soon, it's almost done.

That's awesome news @Erick194 - I'll look forward to adding support for that!

Just so you're aware also, PsyDoom adds a bunch of map fixes/patches for the Beta 3 Master Edition release. Most of the issues addressed were already raised in the Master Edition thread, other bugs I discovered while playtesting myself. You may find some of these fixes useful to re-integrate back into your work for beta 4, they can all be found in the following file:

https://github.com/BodbDearg/PsyDoom/blob/master/game/PsyDoom/MapPatcher/MapPatches_GEC_ME_Beta3.cpp

Hopefully most of the code should be self explanatory but let me know if you have any questions.

Both this port and the GEC Master Edition are an amazing combo. Together with the actual Doom/Final Doom releases, it is possible for the first time to play ALL Doom levels in PSX style, in a way and with convenience features the console release was never able to provide. Also, that launcher was exactly what I had been missing before. Finally no more manual messing around with config files!

I shall start my playthrough of the original releases soon, hoping GEC beta4 will be ready by the time I am done with them.

Awesome update. Love the launcher but for whatever reason the mod directory feature won't load my custom weapon sprite wad. The -datadir command doesn't work either, have to load it with -file. Probably doing something wrong but that leads to a suggestion. Could we get a command line box in the launcher for using individual files or whatever else? 

EDIT: Read about the naming format for mod directories so figured out why that wasn't working. After playing around with demo recording not having a way to -warp from the launcher isn't ideal. A bindable restart map key would be nice as well since as of now you have to either kill yourself or use idclev to restart a map while recording.

Edited by StodgyAyatollah

Brilliant @intacowetrust - thanks so much for all your work on this - The best way to play the best version of Doom!!!

Feels SO polished now - saves done, interpolation done, launcher done - genuinely can't think of any way to make it better.....

Quick question - if I use the European discs and their .cue files, will it make any difference vs the American discs/.cue files other than the opening license screen?

Also has anyone got any good mods they recommend for this?

Edited by francis247uk

Many thanks @intacowetrust for releasing 1.0.  You really have done an amazing job with this port!

The new launcher is great but I wondered if there was an option to remember previous settings and launch straight into the game?  I'd love to run this on a keyboard-less setup via LaunchBox.  

1 hour ago, ozy said:

Many thanks @intacowetrust for releasing 1.0.  You really have done an amazing job with this port!

The new launcher is great but I wondered if there was an option to remember previous settings and launch straight into the game?  I'd love to run this on a keyboard-less setup via LaunchBox.  

Just use the command line -nolauncher. Shortcuts also seem to bypass the launcher, or at least they do for me.

So good to see this hit v1.0.0, it's been a long time coming. Great work. 💪 Love the launcher too, convenient!

Now that 1.0 is out, is there anything left on your roadmap? It's hard to imagine what's left to implement beyond stability patches or the occasional quality-of-life addition.

neat, version 1! I might have to give this a try, as Duckstation works TERRIBLY with Doom and Final Doom (and other retro FPS, like Hexen and Duke Nukem 3D)

EDIT: Well, PsyDoom is amazing. No other Doom related release has made me this happy in a VERY long time. I grew up on Playstation Doom and its near and dear to my heart, and this feels better than the GZDoom TC ever did.

The Jaguar levels being so bland does make me wish for a mod that replaces the Jaguar section with reconverted PC maps that are much closer to the E4/Doom 2/Final Doom maps for a more cohesive experience.

Edited by Devalaous

On 9/30/2022 at 2:56 AM, Vita93 said:

I can confirm this works on Manjaro.

Awesome - thanks for confirming! I've only tested on Debian based Linux (Mint and Raspbian) but glad to hear that AppImage is living up to its promises of portability across Linux distros.

On 9/30/2022 at 3:27 PM, StodgyAyatollah said:

Could we get a command line box in the launcher for using individual files or whatever else? 

Yeah I had considered this but thought that in 99% of cases users would just need the 'mod directory' setting, since that's how PsyDoom mods are supplied. Hence I omitted the individual files list to avoid unnecessary UI clutter.

On 9/30/2022 at 3:27 PM, StodgyAyatollah said:

After playing around with demo recording not having a way to -warp from the launcher isn't ideal.

Interesting, I had not considered that use case. The warp command was added mainly to facilitate launching and testing maps from Doom Builder, hence it was not added to the launcher GUI. I figured normal users would just use the 'idclev' cheat.

On 10/1/2022 at 7:20 AM, francis247uk said:

Quick question - if I use the European discs and their .cue files, will it make any difference vs the American discs/.cue files other than the opening license screen?

Nope - PsyDoom plays the PAL versions with NTSC timings by default since this mode offers more responsive and smoother gameplay. Most parts of the game are the exact same... The only difference apart from the intro screens are the demo files; those are different to the NTSC demos and play differently because they were recorded in PAL mode.

On 10/1/2022 at 7:21 AM, ozy said:

On 10/1/2022 at 8:53 AM, StodgyAyatollah said:

Just use the command line -nolauncher. Shortcuts also seem to bypass the launcher, or at least they do for me.

If you pass any command line arguments to the game then the launcher will be bypassed. Any of the fields on the 'Launcher' tab of the Launcher can be passed as command line arguments so you could setup a script or shortcut to pass whatever settings you need to start the game.

On 10/1/2022 at 8:08 AM, Trashboat4444 said:

Can psydoom work on Raspberry pi 3 b+? If so with what distro?

Yeah, I tested myself using a 3b. You use the 'ArmHf' (Arm 32-bit, 'Hard Float') architecture build for this particular Pi. Performance isn't always the best (it sometimes dips a bit when there's a lot of translucency) but it works well for the most part - maybe a 30 FPS cap on this device is better for consistency. I tested using Raspbian but it should hopefully work on other distros too... Note: if you want the Vulkan renderer on the RPI then you're going to need a Pi 4 or 400 and to manually install the required drivers - Pi 3 is limited to the classic renderer only.

On 10/1/2022 at 7:30 PM, Lollie said:

Now that 1.0 is out, is there anything left on your roadmap? It's hard to imagine what's left to implement beyond stability patches or the occasional quality-of-life addition.

Not much to be honest... PsyDoom has more or less got all the features I intended it to have at this point. New builds of the 'Master Edition' project will definitely warrant future updates however and there might be the odd feature I want to add in or some bug fixes that are necessary. Overall I would say however that work is definitely winding down on this project for me and I'm starting to think about turning my attention to other endeavors.

For those who want to speedrun PsyDoom, the leaderboards rules have been updated to reflect the new update. No Monsters category has also been added. Happy Dooming :) https://www.speedrun.com/psydoom

I love how this makes the version of Master Levels in Master Edition Beta 3 shine.  The coloured lighting is amazing and they've done a really, really good job of thinking through how to 'PlayStation 1' those levels.

43 minutes ago, Vita93 said:

I love how this makes the version of Master Levels in Master Edition Beta 3 shine.  The coloured lighting is amazing and they've done a really, really good job of thinking through how to 'PlayStation 1' those levels.

As someone who made a conversion of one of those Master Levels, you have my thanks. :)

On 10/3/2022 at 1:20 AM, intacowetrust said:

Interesting, I had not considered that use case. The warp command was added mainly to facilitate launching and testing maps from Doom Builder, hence it was not added to the launcher GUI. I figured normal users would just use the 'idclev' cheat.

My interest in being able to enter a command line with the launcher is mostly selfish since it would just be a bit less of a hassle than creating multiple batch files or shortcuts to load my custom wad over other mods.

Having it for the ability to use the -warp command I think would be of more interest, particularly among speedrunners. As it is you can't use idclev while recording demos (unless I'm missing something). Couple that with the fact that the pause menu with the 'restart map' option is bypassed for the main menu and you cannot realistically speedrun individual levels through the launcher. Either way I have to commend you on you're work and don't fault you for what you choose to prioritize. I have been and will continue to be enjoying this for a long time.

For anyone interested I may as well share my black gloves wad. It's just a basic recolor of the weapon sprite gloves with the pistol flipped to be right handed. I also used the ssg from final doom as it looks a lot better imo. Still wip since I intend to do some touching up and add gloves to the fists at some point. PSXblackgloves.zip

On 10/4/2022 at 5:25 PM, StodgyAyatollah said:

My interest in being able to enter a command line with the launcher is mostly selfish since it would just be a bit less of a hassle than creating multiple batch files or shortcuts to load my custom wad over other mods.

Having it for the ability to use the -warp command I think would be of more interest, particularly among speedrunners. As it is you can't use idclev while recording demos (unless I'm missing something). Couple that with the fact that the pause menu with the 'restart map' option is bypassed for the main menu and you cannot realistically speedrun individual levels through the launcher. Either way I have to commend you on you're work and don't fault you for what you choose to prioritize. I have been and will continue to be enjoying this for a long time.

Just implemented a solution for this problem which will be in the next build. I've made a change which allows you to pause during demo recording and thus access the restart option, use passwords or cheat warp etc. Pausing ends the demo recording process because pausing is not allowed during a demo but at least this way you can carry on gameplay and then warp to whatever level you like without restarting the game.

My man, this is amazing. This an GEC deserve a lot of recognition for this great job.

The launcher is hella great, even have detailed explainations of all functions, thanks for that!

I have some feature suggestions heh

1. CRT Shader: For me, this is a must to capture the complete "Console Visual" feeling, and the sprites will look better (The Pistol and SGG sprites are good examples).
  2. Save/Loading: Or even a Save/Loading State like emulators, I'm not a big fan of passwords, and using level warping is more or less tedious. Ignore this, I realized that theres an actual Save/Load options, sorry :P

3. OpenGL 2.1 Renderer: Not necessary. The psx renderer is more than enough for me, but will be great to have another renderer (I said OpenGL 2.1 because is the maximun that my GPU can handle) to see the hires features. 
  4. Alpha Bob style: I noticed that theres a Bob scale option and would be great to have the option to inverse the bobbing to give the style of the alpha Doom.
  5. Secret indicator: idk if this is hard to implement but I like know when I unlocked a secret (I know is possible to toggle the indicators but would be nice to have a "A secret has appeared" quote) heh
  6. Libretro core: Making it compatible with retroarch (As for example PrBoom), so the save and loading or crt shaders will be the Retroarch ones (another unnecesary but cool suggestion(?)
  7. Run speed: I tend to play a lot with autorun and I noticed that the run speed is really fast (I guess is was the same on a actual PSX but since that one doesn't have autorun I barely noticed), Sometimes is hard to hit a enemy while running because the speed so I would be great to have a option to ajust the speed while running so I can give it a balanced speed.

Anyway, thanks for this port, this will be now my port to go for playing Console Doom. 

This decade became the years of PC ports of console games (Mario, Zelda, and Doom!) B)

Spoiler

Now I will try to discover how to make a maps for it heh

Edited by Herr Dethnout

53 minutes ago, Herr Dethnout said:

CRT Shader: For me, this is a must to capture the complete "Console Visual" feeling, and the sprites will look better (The Pistol and SGG sprites are good examples). 

You might want to look into ShaderGlass!

https://mausimus.itch.io/shaderglass

It comes with a lot of the Retroarch shaders built-in, so you should be able to find the one you want. Just make sure you go into Input > Window to clone the PsyDoom window, and Input > Pixel Size for the correct pixel scaling. (it will likely be x2 or x4 on a 1080p screen)

Spoiler for screenshot examples, PsyDoom vs ShaderGlass (using "Preset\crt-guest-advanced-ntsc" with fine-tuned settings)

Spoiler

1 - PsyDoom.png

1 - ShaderGlass.jpg

2 - PsyDoom.png

2 - ShaderGlass.jpg

18 minutes ago, Herr Dethnout said:

Looking foward to it, Thanks!

You are welcome. I'm looking forward to playing more maps for this. Also check this out. You can get an idea how things are structured and it also has archviles.

2 hours ago, Lollie said:

You might want to look into ShaderGlass!

https://mausimus.itch.io/shaderglass

It comes with a lot of the Retroarch shaders built-in, so you should be able to find the one you want. Just make sure you go into Input > Window to clone the PsyDoom window, and Input > Pixel Size for the correct pixel scaling. (it will likely be x2 or x4 on a 1080p screen)

Wow, looks interesing, a better alternative to Reshade but it can be used on fullscreen or borderless fullscreen?

2 hours ago, StodgyAyatollah said:

You are welcome. I'm looking forward to playing more maps for this. Also check this out. You can get an idea how things are structured and it also has archviles.

Oh great, a way to study the psx custom mapping and made by the same guy, thanks!
I will probably made a version on my previous map to test this up

4 hours ago, Herr Dethnout said:
  • CRT Shader: For me, this is a must to capture the complete "Console Visual" feeling, and the sprites will look better (The Pistol and SGG sprites are good examples).

See this post for my thoughts on that. CRT Royale via Reshade works quite well if you're looking for that kind of effect: 

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/111024-psydoom-100-psx-doom-port-reverse-engineered-for-pc/?page=17&tab=comments#comment-2282515

4 hours ago, Herr Dethnout said:

OpenGL 2.1 Renderer: Not necessary. The psx renderer is more than enough for me, but will be great to have another renderer (I said OpenGL 2.1 because is the maximun that my GPU can handle) to see the hires features. 

Sorry, OpenGL won't ever be supported for a variety of reasons that I won't go into here. If you use Linux you still might be able to use Vulkan via the Mesa Software driver. It will likely be very slow but depending on your hardware maybe 480p might be playable, which would still be an improvement: https://www.phoronix.com/news/Lavapipe-Vulkan-1.3-Turned-On

5 hours ago, Herr Dethnout said:
  • Alpha Bob style: I noticed that theres a Bob scale option and would be great to have the option to inverse the bobbing to give the style of the alpha Doom.

Unfortunately implementing this change would break any demos currently recorded via 1.0.0. I don't consider this a worthy enough change to break demo compatibility for.

8 minutes ago, intacowetrust said:

See this post for my thoughts on that. CRT Royale via Reshade works quite well if you're looking for that kind of effect: 

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/111024-psydoom-100-psx-doom-port-reverse-engineered-for-pc/?page=17&tab=comments#comment-2282515

Sorry, OpenGL won't ever be supported for a variety of reasons that I won't go into here. If you use Linux you still might be able to use Vulkan via the Mesa Software driver. It will likely be very slow but depending on your hardware maybe 480p might be playable, which would still be an improvement: https://www.phoronix.com/news/Lavapipe-Vulkan-1.3-Turned-On

I see, welp thanks for responding me. I still thinking than a built-in crt shader could be a great addition, nothing too fancy just enough to make the weapons look great, but it's okay.

About the renderer, it's sad that will be not OpenGL support but as I said is not something that I wanted so much since the PSX emulation renderer is more than enough.

One thing about reshade. What api I need to select for classic renderer? I selected Directx9 but it doesn't seem to work :/

23 minutes ago, Herr Dethnout said:

I see, welp thanks for responding me. I still thinking than a built-in crt shader could be a great addition, nothing too fancy just enough to make the weapons look great, but it's okay.

External shaders would do a much better job of the CRT effect than PsyDoom ever would and will be constantly updated and refined even long after PsyDoom stops receiving updates itself. For this reason I've decided to just let things like Reshade handle this problem, if people want that effect (or other ones).

26 minutes ago, Herr Dethnout said:

One thing about reshade. What api I need to select for classic renderer? I selected Directx9 but it doesn't seem to work :/

Try OpenGL. PsyDoom's SDL is set to use it internally (for blitting the framebuffer to the display) when Vulkan support is not present.