Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
intacowetrust

PsyDoom 1.1.1 - PSX Doom port (reverse engineered) for PC

On 8/13/2022 at 12:29 AM, Xeogred said:

Great vids BlueThunder. Looks like such an awesome way to revisit PSX Doom.

Yeah it is, Thanks

On 8/4/2022 at 2:17 AM, intacowetrust said:

Of course - I love to see cool stuff people are making for PsyDoom. I had a lot of fun playing this map, thanks for sharing!

How close is this to release?

54 minutes ago, Trashboat4444 said:

A couple of days closer than the last time you asked.

20 minutes ago, fenderc01 said:

If you're excited to see the latest changes, install Visual Studio and compile it yourself. That's what I've been doing for a while now.

https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/vs/community/

Code is still fundamentally close to the last release, 0.8.3.

We know Taco is free to work on it again, but he's got a huuuuuge backlog of stuff to work on for it, so it likely will still be a little while before it's ready for public release.

12 hours ago, Trashboat4444 said:

The next release of PsyDoom is coming along nicely. I'd say maybe within another month or so it should be in a relatively good spot, but we'll see... (no promises!)

10 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

Code is still fundamentally close to the last release, 0.8.3.

Are you looking at the 'master' branch on github? That's pretty much just the latest stable release (0.8.3). The bleeding edge stuff is all in the 'develop' branch:

https://github.com/BodbDearg/PsyDoom/tree/develop

On 8/31/2022 at 1:17 AM, intacowetrust said:

The next release of PsyDoom is coming along nicely. I'd say maybe within another month or so it should be in a relatively good spot, but we'll see... (no promises!)

Oh ok

I was able to get the Linux build running on my Steam Deck today!

I only had to make a few changes to make sure the mouse was mapped to the trackpads to use in the launcher as well as create a mapping for 'esc'.

Performance was rock solid and I never saw power usage above 7 watts (which is somewhat expected, but nice to see).

The only issue I'm currently trying to sort out is networked play. Specifically, as the host, if I leave the port blank in the launcher, which defaults to '666', I get an error when trying to start a game. Any other port seems to start the server but isn't allowing connections.

Getting errors when trying to connect as client as well (even locally).

I'll keep working on it and report any findings I have.

PXL_20220914_203342184.jpg

8 hours ago, tsmiller said:

I was able to get the Linux build running on my Steam Deck today!

That's awesome, really happy to see it running on Steam Deck too - thanks for sharing! :)

Performance was rock solid and I never saw power usage above 7 watts (which is somewhat expected, but nice to see).

Sweet! If you want to stretch out the battery even further too you could try disabling MSAA. Probably don't really need it on small screens...

The only issue I'm currently trying to sort out is networked play. Specifically, as the host, if I leave the port blank in the launcher, which defaults to '666', I get an error when trying to start a game. Any other port seems to start the server but isn't allowing connections.

Getting errors when trying to connect as client as well (even locally).

Interesting, I haven't seen that before... I tested network play between the two Linux devices I have at my disposal (a Sager Laptop and RPI 400) and didn't notice anything strange. Will take another look again just to make sure.

12 hours ago, tsmiller said:

Investigated this issue on Linux and ran into the following problem, which might be the same thing you are experiencing:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/20825496/linux-denies-permission-on-socket-bind-using-boost-asio

"On unix systems, the first 1024 port are restricted to the root user only so if serverPort < 1024 you should try something > 1024"

PsyDoom should change the default port of 666 to something else for Linux. Maybe try specifying a port > 1024 and see how you get on? I was able to get it working OK when I did that. Not entirely sure how I didn't run into this before...

2 hours ago, intacowetrust said:

Investigated this issue on Linux and ran into the following problem, which might be the same thing you are experiencing:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/20825496/linux-denies-permission-on-socket-bind-using-boost-asio

"On unix systems, the first 1024 port are restricted to the root user only so if serverPort < 1024 you should try something > 1024"

PsyDoom should change the default port of 666 to something else for Linux. Maybe try specifying a port > 1024 and see how you get on? I was able to get it working OK when I did that. Not entirely sure how I didn't run into this before...

Lack of Linux multiplayer testing, probably. :P

4 hours ago, intacowetrust said:

I just hosting from the Steam Deck on port 1025 and it worked well with a remote client.

I noticed a couple small dips in FPS but the cpu and gpu usage never went above ~20% so it makes me think it could be network related.

I may try out an ethernet connection and see if that resolves it.

33 minutes ago, tsmiller said:

I just hosting from the Steam Deck on port 1025 and it worked well with a remote client.

I noticed a couple small dips in FPS but the cpu and gpu usage never went above ~20% so it makes me think it could be network related.

If it never happens in singleplayer, you can definitely rule out the GPU or CPU dropping frames, and yeah, then it'd be net sync.

As for what port to use, I'd recommend 1638.

@intacowetrust can probably figure out my logic why. :)

On 9/15/2022 at 6:13 AM, tsmiller said:

Yeah the network protocol is highly synchronous - just like DOS Doom. If there are any stalls in the connection then that will block the game from proceeding. Reducing the ping as much as possible is definitely recommended, ethernet would work better than wireless if you can do it.

This has to be one of my favourite Source Ports of Doom, period! Just one question: How does one go about modding the Status Heads and Status Bar? No matter what I do, I can't seem to get them to change and I feel like I'm being a big dum-dum, but I figure I may as well bite the bullet and ask.

34 minutes ago, Greenknight9000 said:

This has to be one of my favourite Source Ports of Doom, period! Just one question: How does one go about modding the Status Heads and Status Bar? No matter what I do, I can't seem to get them to change and I feel like I'm being a big dum-dum, but I figure I may as well bite the bullet and ask.

I'll assume you're just trying to do graphical edits? What have you done so far? If you're already at the stage of having a pwad with the changes you want are you using the -file command line to load it?

1 minute ago, StodgyAyatollah said:

I'll assume you're just trying to do graphical edits? What have you done so far? If you're already at the stage of having a pwad with the changes you want are you using the -file command line to load it?

Yep - just trying to due purely graphical edits. I've basically replaced all of Doomguy's heads with my own graphics and saved them as a .wad. I tried psydoom.exe -file file.wad yet nothing changes 

Are you using the proper format for the status image? It's all in one image file for psxdoom instead of several like regular doom. If not you can extract the psxdoom.wad from you're bin file and open it with slade to extract it for editing. The image is titled status. Make sure it's converted to the psx pallette format.

1 minute ago, StodgyAyatollah said:

Are you using the proper format for the status image? It's all in one image file for psxdoom instead of several like regular doom. If not you can extract the psxdoom.wad from you're bin file and open it with slade to extract it for editing. The image is titled status. Make sure it's converted to the psx pallette format.

Wait, really?

I saved the files as PSX Format but I didn't know there was more to it. How might one extract the Bin file? I only have Doom.cue and a load of track .bin files 

8 minutes ago, Greenknight9000 said:

How might one extract the Bin file? I only have Doom.cue and a load of track .bin files 

You can open track 1 bin with something like 7-zip. It's just a compressed file like a zip. The psx.wad is in the ABIN folder inside track 1. Unfortunately after looking myself the status image along with the title screen and a few others use a weird palette that isn't recognized by slade so I'm not sure how to edit them. I use a black right handed glove mod I made so I figured it would be the same process but unfortunately it's not.

2 minutes ago, StodgyAyatollah said:

You can open track 1 bin with something like 7-zip. It's just a compressed file like a zip. The psx.wad is in the ABIN folder inside track 1. Unfortunately after looking myself the status image along with the title screen and a few others use a weird palette that isn't recognized by slade so I'm not sure how to edit them. I use a black right handed glove mod I made so I figured it would be the same process but unfortunately it's not.

I actually tried opening Track 1.bin with 7Zip, but just end up getting an error. I kinda wish there was a video tutorial on how to do this, since I'm more of a visual learner

image.png.d1aa16525afb56a7a02e307c0d541618.png

4 minutes ago, Greenknight9000 said:

I actually tried opening Track 1.bin with 7Zip, but just end up getting an error.

Weird. I have 7-zip in my right click menu and just hit open archive. Have you tried the extract option? Outside of that I have no ideas other than trying different software.

I figured it out! Downloaded PowerISO and that managed to open the Bin file and got PSXDoom.wad - sucks the heads are smaller in resolution so I had to make adjustments, but I managed in the end and it works! Now I kinda wish I knew how to get it on actual PSXDoom someday. hahaha