Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
intacowetrust

PsyDoom 1.1.1 - PSX Doom port (reverse engineered) for PC

Alright then. I had played this on my PS3 before but didn't remember any more how the episode transitions worked. Then I read in the Doom wiki that you continue with your inventory intact when going to the next episode (example: Final Doom MAP24: Heck).

PsyDoom has really turned into a nice new port I regularly return to when I feel like it. Now it just needs one thing: More user maps, hopefully eventually also entire episodes and/or megawads. Pretty confident that it will happen, just give it some time.

7 hours ago, NightFright said:

PsyDoom has really turned into a nice new port I regularly return to when I feel like it. Now it just needs one thing: More user maps, hopefully eventually also entire episodes and/or megawads. Pretty confident that it will happen, just give it some time.

Sadly this means that PhoenixDoom is pretty much dead too :c

PhoenixDoom is great, but if we are honest, there is nothing special about 3DO maps, especially no colored lighting. Therefore, custom levels for that port wouldn't make much sense, unless you find it appealing to play with an ugly brown frame on both sides...

3 hours ago, NightFright said:

PhoenixDoom is great, but if we are honest, there is nothing special about 3DO maps, especially no colored lighting. Therefore, custom levels for that port wouldn't make much sense, unless you find it appealing to play with an ugly brown frame on both sides...

Welp, there's OptiDoom, which aims to improve the 3DO port in many ways and even currently supports custom maps (as of currently). If this video is any indication, colored lighting is now also supported, but only in custom maps. As for how to make custom maps for OptiDoom, anyone can watch this.

Edited by taufan99 : Re-added mapping guide vid just because.

Oh well, I stand corrected, then. Still, people are mostly mapping for PsyDoom and Doom 64 Kex these days when it comes to console ports. I guess it's because those consoles were also the most popular ones back in the days and the maps have distinct features that set them apart from the rest. Anyway, maybe a brave soul will dare to provide new footage for one of the 3DO ports as well. Could be interesting to see how/if these might stand out from the rest.

I've been helping @fenderc01 out with some of the new multiplayer features and thought I'd start converting some great multiplayer maps. Here is map01 from Back to Saturn X EP1 getting the PSX treatment. This one is set up well for co-op with extra monsters and weapons to balance having an extra player.

image.png.1d2557bce0015838b059d8a878e7de27.png

2 hours ago, Devalaous said:

BTPSX Episode 1: Get Out Of My Playstations

This is a powerful name and I'm mildly upset that the whole thing doesn't already exist

2 minutes ago, Devalaous said:

It would be even better if PsyDoom was a Saturn port. Back to Sega Saturn X~

I'd be a happy man if PsyDoom got a Sega Saturn status bar feature. Best of both worlds!

On 10/26/2022 at 5:50 AM, tsmiller said:

I've been helping @fenderc01 out with some of the new multiplayer features and thought I'd start converting some great multiplayer maps. Here is map01 from Back to Saturn X EP1 getting the PSX treatment. This one is set up well for co-op with extra monsters and weapons to balance having an extra player.

This looks nice! Are you planning to convert the entire of BTSX?

6 hours ago, intacowetrust said:

This looks nice! Are you planning to convert the entire of BTSX?

Thanks! Not at the moment, but I'm easy to convince. I originally set out to:

1. Learn PSX mapping (I also have next to 0 doom mapping experience)
  2. Convert an enjoyable map for testing multiplayer monsters and items in co-op.

All that being said, now that I know some of the ins and outs of things, I may try to tackle some more maps. I really enjoy BTSX, plus I think it's got an eerie atmosphere anyway, so that would be a good candidate (although something with less maps would probably be more realistic for a first attempt). Any suggestions?

On 10/27/2022 at 1:13 AM, taufan99 said:

I'd be a happy man if PsyDoom got a Sega Saturn status bar feature. Best of both worlds!

Ditto this! That'd be marvelous! Hell, having some of the Saturn features would be a neat extra, like the faster firing rate, the option to enable the Saturn Soundtrack (by maybe using a Doom Saturn file) and maybe the way it does invisibility; so it'd basically just be aesthetic changes with a hint of minor gameplay change

3 hours ago, Greenknight9000 said:

Ditto this! That'd be marvelous! Hell, having some of the Saturn features would be a neat extra, like the faster firing rate, the option to enable the Saturn Soundtrack (by maybe using a Doom Saturn file) and maybe the way it does invisibility; so it'd basically just be aesthetic changes with a hint of minor gameplay change

All the Saturn Soundtrack is is a limited subset of the PS1 tracks.

As for the faster firing rate, that'd be kinda hard, not in the sense of "hard to do" but in that it was done to compensate for the sluggish framerate - a problem that most PCs running this port will never have trouble with, really.

On 10/26/2022 at 1:08 AM, NightFright said:

Yeah, but at least giving some of the features of PsyDoom (Like a GUI rather than cfgs in Roaming folder) and better mouse support (although iirc the thing is hardcoded), even go little far and supporting custom music to remade the missing songs(?)

Necrobump, but will the next update fix a code error that results in the third wake and death sounds of the zombie enemies never being played at all? For those not aware of what I'm talking about, you can watch this Doom 64: Merciless Edition romhack by @Immorpher, which fixes the error (the third death sound is less noticeable, but the third wake sound should be distinct enough).

Spoiler

Or, for a briefer one, here's what the original unused sound effects sound like.

Spoiler

As well, would a full 8-sprite rotation a la @Revenant100's Minor Sprite Fixing Project be feasible for use, or would that be out of scope for PsyDoom, at least as of now?

Edited by taufan99 : Full 8-sprite rotation, not 16-sprite rotation.

18 hours ago, taufan99 said:

Necrobump, but will the next update fix a code error that results in the third wake and death sounds of the zombie enemies never being played at all? For those not aware of what I'm talking about, you can watch this Doom 64: Merciless Edition romhack by @Immorpher, which fixes the error (the third death sound is less noticeable, but the third wake sound should be distinct enough).

I had investigated these sounds before and TBH they don't sound very good compared to the regular sfx, so I left them alone. My theory is that they might have been cut deliberately via a quick code change rather than removing the assets, perhaps because full removal was a pain to do.

18 hours ago, taufan99 said:

As well, would a full 8-sprite rotation a la @Revenant100's Minor Sprite Fixing Project be feasible for use, or would that be out of scope for PsyDoom, at least as of now?

I think it might be doable via the existing modding mechanisms, but I haven't tested such a situation.

I just discovered PsyDoom and it is amazing. Just one question. Is there a way to increase the screen size or otherwise turn off the HUD? I want to prevent burn in on my OLED. 

5 hours ago, darmok said:

I just discovered PsyDoom and it is amazing. Just one question. Is there a way to increase the screen size or otherwise turn off the HUD? I want to prevent burn in on my OLED. 

While it's not a perfect solution, you can change the crop setting in the launcher under Graphics > Picture crop & stretch > Bottom overscan pixels. Change the value to 40. This will hide the HUD. The one negative to that is it will crop the title screen, menus, etc. also. 

8 minutes ago, fenderc01 said:

While it's not a perfect solution, you can change the crop setting in the launcher under Graphics > Picture crop & stretch > Bottom overscan pixels. Change the value to 40. This will hide the HUD. The one negative to that is it will crop the title screen, menus, etc. also. 

Thanks. That works pretty well.

Hey everyone, good news. I've just released a new build of PsyDoom - 1.1.0!

You can find it at the usual location for Windows, macOS and Linux:

https://github.com/BodbDearg/PsyDoom/releases

Below are the changes for this release, hope you enjoy!

Feature changes & improvements (1.1.0)

• Added support for "GEC Master Edition Beta 4".
  • Classic renderer: add a new improved precision mode for rendering walls (enabled by default).
    • Helps prevent textures from sliding and stretching and improves temporal stability significantly, particularly when using uncapped framerates.
  • Added a variety of new map fixes for Doom, Final Doom, and GEC Master Edition Beta 3 & 4.
    • Demo compatibility with previous PsyDoom versions may be affected for some maps due to the changes.
  • The game now auto-pauses if the window loses focus.
    • This feature can be turned off if needed.
    • Auto-pause is also ignored for demo playback and recording since pause is not allowed in those scenarios.    
  • Vulkan renderer: tweak sprite splitting across subsector boundaries to try and improve the visual result of sprite ordering.
    • Take into account how much a sprite intersects geometry vertically when deciding whether to allow a split or not.
    • Disallow splits if the sprite intersects geometry too much.
  • Demo playback: show the intermission screen at the end if the level was completed.
  • Automap: implement opt-in extended automap coloring which shades live enemies and bonus items differently.
    • This makes identifying remaining enemies and items easier when used with the 'Map all things' cheat.
  • Multi-display environments: make PsyDoom start the game on the display where it is launched from.
    • Which display to use is determined by the mouse position at launch time.
    • Also allow the start display to be manually specified, if needed.
  • Launcher: default the mod directory chooser to the currently selected mod directory.
    • On Windows default it to the current working directory, if no valid mod directory is selected.
  • Add the option to trigger boss related specials when using the 'No monsters' cheat in singeplayer or co-op.
    • This option allows progress past maps which require boss enemies to be killed, even when there are no monsters.
  • Added the ability for mods to use widescreen menu background assets.
  • Finale: show the Arch-vile in the cast of characters if the current game or mod has the assets for it.
  • Single player: add the option to spawn deathmatch only things (if desired).
  • Single player: add an "IDFA" cheat for "Lots Of Goodies! (No Keys)".
  • Multiplayer: allow secret maps to be selected and map selection to wrap around on the main menu.
  • Co-op: add an option to disable friendly fire.
  • Co-op: add an option to preserve some ammo after dying and respawning.
  • Co-op: add an option to preserve keys after dying and respawning.
  • Co-op: add the option to spawn deathmatch only things.
  • Deathmatch: add a frag limit option.
  • Deathmatch: add the option to disable exits if no frag limit is set.
  • Deathmatch: add the option to trigger boss related special actions upon entering a map.
    • These are normally only possible to activate in single player, after killing all enemies of a certain type.
  • Tweaked the punctuation for some loading and saving related HUD messages.
  • Turned down the default mouse speed since it was probably too high for most users.
  • Disallow weapon switching from occurring when zooming in and out on the map.
    • Enables the mouse wheel to be bound to both zoom in/out and weapon switch.
  • Make the Arch-Vile, SS Tropper, and Commander Keen things use the same timings as the 'GEC Master Edition (Beta 4)' project.
    • This helps maintain demo compatibility between maps made for GEC ME Beta 4 and PsyDoom.
  • Save slots: truncate the map name if it is too long, or if it is multi-line.
  • Icon of sin: add the ability to manually specify the roster of enemies via map things with the 'MTF_SPAWN_BY_IOS' (0x100) flag.
    • In addition to this when the IOS is using this roster, enemies will occasionally spawn with special blending and will occasionally be nightmare.
    • This mirrors similar functionality in 'GEC Master Edition Beta 4'.
  • Made new MAPINFO additions and changes:
    • Added the following new settings to `GameInfo`:
      • `AllowWideOptionsBg`, `AllowWideTitleScreenFire`
      • `TexLumpName_BACK`
      • `TexLumpName_Inter_BACK`, `TexPalette_Inter_BACK`
      • `TexLumpName_OptionsBG`
      • `TexLumpName_STATUS`
      • `TexLumpName_TITLE`, `TexLumpName_TITLE2`, `TexPalette_TITLE2`
      • `TexPalette_TitleScreenFire`
      • `TitleScreenCdTrackOverride`
    • Removed the following settings from `GameInfo`:
      • `CreditsXPos_IDCRED2`, `CreditsXPos_WMSCRED2`
    • Added the following new settings to `Episode`:
      • `LogoPic`, `LogoPal`, `LogoX`, `LogoYOffset`
      • `IsHidden`
    • Added the following new settings to `Map`:
      • `NoIntermission`
    • Added new `CreditsPage` and `ClearCredits` definitions.

Bug fixes (1.1.0)

• Fix an infinite freeze if there is no valid audio output device.
  • Arch-vile: fix a small error that might sometimes cause it to not raise corpses when it should.
  • Fix 'nightmare' style enemies resurrected by the Arch-vile not having 2x health.
  • Icon Of Sin: count spawned enemies towards the kill count if the kill count fix is enabled.
  • Status bar: fix the extension pieces for Vulkan widescreen not repeating sometimes for some extremely wide aspect ratios.
  • Fix the toggle key for uncapped framerate not working in all the same places as the renderer toggle key.
    • This fix can be useful to keep the two settings in lockstep, if you want to toggle between the classic renderer and uncapped FPS with the same key at the same time.
  • Fixed a bug where the level timer is not properly set after loading a save from the main menu or another map.
  • Final Doom: fix unintended/stray pixels on the key card sprites when visual map patches are active.
  • Launcher: fix vertical mouse wheel inputs not being recognized when binding an input to an action.
  • Fix the player being killable while in sector special '11'.
    • Mirror PC Doom behavior and don't allow enemies to kill the player while in this sector type.
  • Quickload: prevent strange sounds from sometimes playing when quick loading to another map.
    • Kill all active sounds immediately before loading the new map.
  • Lua scripting: count enemies spawned via 'P_SpawnMobj' towards the total kill count, if the kill count fix is enabled.
  • Warp menu: don't reset the map number if an attempt is made to open it again while it's already showing.

1 hour ago, intacowetrust said:

Fix the player being killable while in sector special '11'.

• Mirror PC Doom behavior and don't allow enemies to kill the player while in this sector type.

Accept my special gratitude for this! I hope it will be present in the next beta of GEC Master Edition

Is there a way to display the game in fullscreen mode under the notch on a MacBook M1?

9 hours ago, s4f3s3x said:

Is there a way to display the game in fullscreen mode under the notch on a MacBook M1?

Not presently I'm afraid, and I'm also lacking the hardware to test any adjustments for this (have a pretty old MacBook Pro). My recommendation would be to use an external monitor if you can, to avoid the notch issue.

1 hour ago, intacowetrust said:

Not presently I'm afraid, and I'm also lacking the hardware to test any adjustments for this (have a pretty old MacBook Pro). My recommendation would be to use an external monitor if you can, to avoid the notch issue.

Well then, I guess I'll do without it for now : D

Another thing: will it be available in the future an option to turn on scanlines and/or CRT filters?

12 hours ago, s4f3s3x said:

... to turn on scanlines and/or CRT filters?

Is that really necessary in a Doom source port?  Why not do the obvious and get a real CRT?