Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DSC

Favorite OSTs Of Any Video Game

Pretty self-explanatory. Just name your favorite video game soundtracks! Doom obviously doesn't count...

Anyways my personal favorites right now are Mega Man X1, X2 and X3. What are yours?

Batman NES, Contra, ROTT, SW (both the original and reboots), Duke 3D, Blood, Batman Arkham series, HL series, Max Payne, NFS (Underground, Carbon), Stalker, TES III-V, Crysis, Quake 1 & 2, MK Arcade trilogy, Portal 1 & 2, RE4, Hexen/Heretic, Castlevania, Downtown Nekketsu Soreyuke Dayundokai, Unreal Gold, The Darkness, Gulty Gear series, Nightmare Creatures, Dark Souls, Mass Effect, Deus Ex, System Shock.

Edited by seed

Ok, since Sign Of Evil can't count :) I was always motivated from the Maabus trailer:

Resident Evil 2 - original

Final Fantasy X

Final Fantasy VII

Tekken 2

Resident Evil - original

Sonic Generations

Mafia II

Flashback

Sonic The Hedgehog 2

Resident Evil 4

Alien Trilogy

Streets Of Rage series

Edited by Eurisko

I was always a huge fan of Thunder Force IV's soundtrack as a kid. I think it was one of my earliest exposures to metal and I bloody loved it. Stage 8, Metal Squad, is still a highlight:

For more recent games, the Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra's rendition of the Bloodborne OST still gives me chills, and I've listened to it dozens of times.

I'm a pretty big fan of Robert Holmes' work, on games like Gabriel Knight and Gray Matter. 

Shin Megami Tensei III and the Digital Devil Saga games have amazing soundtracks.

Killer Instinct, the whole series has always had amazing music.

Zone of the Enders 2 has a pretty amazing soundtrack too. 

Dark Souls. "Nameless Song" is the end credits theme, and it's such an uplifting and haunting piece. Definitely the thing I needed after suffering through Lost Izalith and Bed of Chaos. 

Command and Conquer: Red Alert. Before the series became DUDE GOOFY ACTION LMAO, Red Alert was a dark and cold game about an alternate World War 2. "Ground Wire" is a level song from an expansion, and it's such an evocative track. I listen to this and I think snowy mountainous landscapes filled with troops, desperate to drive the opposing force out of the area. 

Modern Warfare. "Danger Close" is a military term defined as "In close air support, artillery, mortar, and naval gunfire support fires, it is the term included in the method of engagement segment of a call for fire which indicates that friendly forces are within close proximity of the target."

Resident Evil (Remake). The "Save Room" theme in this game is my favorite. I always think the eerie high-pitched string sample sounds like wind whistling outside the Spencer Mansion. 

• Resident Evil 2.
  • The Sims 1.
  • Warcraft II.
  • Stronghold.
  • Heretic.
  • Civilization V plus expansions.
  • The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time.
  • Megaman II.
  • Super Mario World.
  • Waxworks (Amiga version)

I really don't pay that much attention to the soundtrack in games honestly. More often than not I just tune it out, or turn it off. Especially in Doom 2 when playing user wads. I can only listen to D_RUNNIN so many times.

That being said, I did really enjoy Quake 2's soundtrack, as well as Diablo 2's. And Dusk has a fantastic soundtrack. And... those are really the only three I can think of.

I guess I was also impressed with the original Medal of Honor's orchestral soundtrack, that was the first time I noticed a game really seeming to have a dynamic soundtrack. And it might've been scripted, but it would swell during combat sections and quiet down afterwards in a way that didn't seem scripted.

So many very popular videogames in this thread. Just to be a bit original , I will mention "Life Signs : Surgical Unit" .  A pretty obscure DS game I finished many times thanks to multiple endings. It has some really good tracks (music at 20:30 is my favourite)

Doom

Doom 2 

Heretic

Hexen

Super Mario Bros

Adventure Island

Ninja Gaiden

Castlevania

The Legend of Zelda 

Final Fantasy

Chrono Trigger

Chrono Cross

Altered Beast 

Sonic the Hedgehog

Splatterhouse

Toejam and Earl

Shin Megami Tensei 2

Sweet Home

Resident Evil

Metal Gear Solid

Super Monkey Ball 2

Ico

Shadow of the Colossus

Okami

Nier: Gestalt/Replicant

Nier Automata

Edited by reflex17

- Yakuza 0

- Yakuza Kiwami

- Deus Ex

- Doom

- Quake II

- Unreal Tournament 99

- Unreal

- Heretic

- Contra

- Blood

- Age of Empires

- Age of Empires II

- Age of Mythology

- Shantae games

- Freedom Planet

- Sonic games

- Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon

- Painkiller

- DUSK

- Ion Fury

In no particular order

- Duke Nukem 3D
- Pokémon Games
- Senran Kagura games
- Digimon World 
- Shantae Games
- Mighty Switch Force games
- Doom games
- Sonic Games
- Crash Bandicoot games (especially 2 and Twinsanity)
- Unreal Tournament 99 and 2004
- Ion Fury
- Persona and Shin Megami Tensei games
- Final Fantasy X
- A Hat in Time
- Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

And if I keep listing stuff here I'll never stop. I have way too many favorites. lol

When I think of that, I'd mostly pick older games. 

Alien 3 SNES, awesome.....I wish there was a better sound quality though

Super Castlevania IV SNES, I'm not a big Castlevania fan but as soon as I run the first level I'm mesmerized

Shadowrun SNES, simply a perfectly fitting soundtrack which produced a couple of awesome cover versions 

Terminator Sega CD, I have it on my mp3 player...sounds great.

Sigil, Jimmy's soundtrack, yep,- it's on my mp3 player as well, some tunes are too good to be left alone in a wad:-)))

Deus Ex PS2/PC has a very cool atmospheric soundtrack as well

Streets of Rage series Sega, it's CULT! There's even a live "concert" on youtube where the original members perform several tunes to an audience. What a lovely touch!

Resident Evil 1-3 + remake and Zero... nothing more to say

Silent Hill... I always liked the mysterious, the dark and creepy but still somehow relaxing style of their musics. Akira Yamaoka is a genius...

Super Metroid SNES and Metroid Prime Gamecube were also impressing me when I played them

call of duty 1, medal of honor, quake 2, delta force black hawk down, half life 1 & 2, doom 1 & 2

and also quake 1 mission packs

Edited by cambreaKer

Doom and Doom II in spite of many of the tracks being, ahem, inspired by other sources.

Quake's mission pack soundtracks. Planted the seeds of my love for symphonic metal.

Quake II and Mission Packs. Great hard rock that also makes a good workout soundtrack.

Streets of Rage 2. The end song in particular is a beautiful melody, so full of optimism and hope.

The Elder Scrolls 3 - 5. Dramatic and beautifully melodic.