Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Boomslang

i'm tempted to delete this and start a new project.

I don't think i like this level i'm currently making very much. image.png.ece9ff7f1bdf891724a15172ae475a60.png at first it starts looking really good. but then as soon as i get to the castle, it starts to become very blocky and not very detailed and in my eyes it looks terrible. i'd love for some tips to help improve it and make it look better.  obviously some parts are not done and i say it's less than 50% complete.        

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

What is the overall idea you want for the level? Have you been drawing inspiration from things, or are you just winging it as you go along. Is this going to be one map, or part of a set of maps? In terms of advice, screenshot no.5 looks a bit empty and it’s just a big box with the same texture, I’d say make it smaller and break up the wall textures. Maybe add some sector decoration to the ceiling and floors like ‘fallen rocks’ or pillars. Add some stalactites and or other smaller buildings. Don’t just scrap the project, keep making changes and take frequent breaks for inspiration if needed. If you’d like to upload the map, maybe see if other users can make changes and show how they would approach designing it and take some information away from that. Sorry for the long post, heh.

Just now, Perdition666 said:

What is the overall idea you want for the level? Have you been drawing inspiration from things, or are you just winging it as you go along. Is this going to be one map, or part of a set of maps? In terms of advice, screenshot no.5 looks a bit empty and it’s just a big box with the same texture, I’d say make it smaller and break up the wall textures. Maybe add some sector decoration to the ceiling and floors like ‘fallen rocks’ or pillars. Add some stalactites and or other smaller buildings. Don’t just scrap the project, keep making changes and take frequent breaks for inspiration if needed. If you’d like to upload the map, maybe see if other users can make changes and show how they would approach designing it and take some information away from that. Sorry for the long post, heh.

Baaaaaasically, it starts like this, you're this guy living in your house, you hear a bang outside and you open your front door to find that you've been transported to hell.

and you find a castle, and you must find a teleporter to bring you back home.

I'm really liking the second and third screenshots, the hellish redrock areas. The standout aspect of that area to me is the asymmetry of it. When you're being brave with your vertices and linedefs, and not sticking to a square/rectangular box, you get some very interesting results -- that wooden bridge looks awesome, amidst the flowing red canyon. I'm also not seeing any variation in the lighting, which is one of the fastest ways to make an otherwise interesting location look bland.

My suggestion would be to try playing around with shapes in your castle, and try adding some light sources that cast defined shadows and light levels across the space. For instance, in the fourth screenshot (the castle exterior), I'm imagining some simple pillars along the castle walls that have torches, which cast lines of light out across the large open space. This would not only give you nice opportunity to create variation in lighting, but also direct the players' eye to the castle, as a focal point.

Definitely don't give up on this! There is a lot of potential here, with some incredibly interesting setpieces already (those huge, curved staircases in screenshot 5 are exceptionally striking). You'd also be surprised what a simple sky texture swap can do. Considering that this is meant to take place in Hell, I'd strongly recommend using -- at minimum -- the Hell sky from Doom II (sky3 I think?). You can also take a look around for custom skies, which can really help make an environment pop!

Just now, RonnieJamesDiner said:

I'm really liking the second and third screenshots, the hellish redrock areas. The standout aspect of that area to me is the asymmetry of it. When you're being brave with your vertices and linedefs, and not sticking to a square/rectangular box, you get some very interesting results -- that wooden bridge looks awesome, amidst the flowing red canyon. I'm also not seeing any variation in the lighting, which is one of the fastest ways to make an otherwise interesting location look bland.

My suggestion would be to try playing around with shapes in your castle, and try adding some light sources that cast defined shadows and light levels across the space. For instance, in the fourth screenshot (the castle exterior), I'm imagining some simple pillars along the castle walls that have torches, which cast lines of light out across the large open space. This would not only give you nice opportunity to create variation in lighting, but also direct the players' eye to the castle, as a focal point.

Definitely don't give up on this! There is a lot of potential here, with some incredibly interesting setpieces already (those huge, curved staircases in screenshot 5 are exceptionally striking). You'd also be surprised what a simple sky texture swap can do. Considering that this is meant to take place in Hell, I'd strongly recommend using -- at minimum -- the Hell sky from Doom II (sky3 I think?). You can also take a look around for custom skies, which can really help make an environment pop!

a-ah! okay! thank you.

the screenshots from 1-3 are complete areas.

I might suggest to relaborate the castle part, making it less square. Check Eternal Doom maps after the fifth map, some of (almost all) are castles or fortresses and they got amazing designs and just got a few or almost none square rooms. All in all, play that megawad, its one of the most influential of all time. But if you don't like MASSIVE levels and complex puzzle solving, it may turn you off. Aside from that, the visuals this mapset offers its one of the best out there in vanilla Doom.

There is some decent stuff here, don't trash it, no matter how bad you think something is, it can always be improved and made better :)  The first 3 screens to me look pretty nice, the other areas look a bit plain and could be touched up with some detail work.  All in all, I'd say you have a promising hell map going on.

if you feel you can't improve it you should only get rid of the areas that aren't working for you, because there are definitely some areas that do work. you can always try new ideas for the rooms that aren't doing it for you, and you can recycle old unused content for new projects, or even revive an old project when you feel ready to come back to it!

I'd suggest take small break from mapping and return later to your project. With clear mind you'll able to see what's need improvement and changes. When I get tired from mapping, I often see my maps as not worthy, but that's not true. So yeah, take break, play other games and maps and return when you're refreshed. 

The screenshots from inside the castle look a bit bland, especially with the large, undifferentiated, flat wall surfaces. It's a good idea to make the geometry more varied — e.g. columns, niches, inset sections, ledges along the walls (which also provide an opportunity to put some monsters on them, increasing the complexity of the combat scenarios). Break up the monotony by using several different textures along the wall. Boot up some well-designed PWADs such as "Back to Saturn X" and carefully analyze their architecture and texturing to get some inspiration.

Also, variety in lighting goes a long way. Many areas look bland when at uniform brightness but look great once you add some brightness/darkness contrast.

What I've done in situations like this is redo the area I don't like off to the side of the actual map. It gives you the freedom to experiment without worrying about connecting it what's already existing. Then if you like it you can replace the existing castle or even end up creating a whole new map.

Definitely don't delete.   You'll most likely regret doing so later.   It look like it's got potential.   I would even keep that copy of it around somewhere to compare with a possible later one.

Sometimes simply starting over (as opposed to completely scrapping), which isn't quite as daunting as it may sound since you already know what you made, can help you come up with new ideas as you rebuild it. At least that works with me, sometimes. I think this map looks pretty neat. Completely editing things in Doombuilder can be aggravating but just consider it a part of a learning process. Theres a few large maps I have that I've simply abandoned because I didn't have a clue on how to use Slade3, meaning I'd need to do a ton of work to get working properly, but now that I DO (mostly) know how I wouldn't mind reworking them a bit. If nothing else, keep them on file to revisit sometime. 

Start your new project without deleting this one then go back to it whenever you feel like it.

Maybe you're just tired of working on this thing and need some time.

Or maybe... I don't know... do something else entirely instead? I don't know your creative hobbies in full, but you could try some other creative endeavor and go back to it whenever you feel like.

It looks good so far, though! Probably just let it sit on the backburner until more ideas pop into your head.

6 hours ago, Super Mighty G said:

Is fullbright toggled on or is that how the lighting actually looks? If the latter I'd suggest varying up the light levels. 

ohimage.png.d78b0f519b53647cb32780c313e675bc.png the lighting isn't done yet, i'll show you what i was working on right now!

1 hour ago, Boomslang said:

oh the lighting isn't done yet, i'll show you what i was working on right now!

That looks really nice. My advice for you is to not give up; finish some maps, release them and get feedback. You'll keep getting better and better!

in other news, i'm also working on a level on my Laptop, and it looks much better than this one in my opinion. worked on it since the 20th of last monthimage.png.f4e52def3b49dd24a3de75b2e0baee44.pngimage.png.0fa139a81c16f00d59c041e2744ff5c3.png 

yeah, looking good soo far!
The rooms are square on the exterior part, but you ''don't feel them square'' inside with all the amount of heights differences and structures inside of them. Thats the trick in some cases, hide the shape under details.