Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mewbusi

Fortress of Deception

I've made other maps before this but Fortress of Deception is my first published map that I've finished. I hope you enjoy wandering the Helicarrier Nirvana as you flush out a demon incursion.

Currently one level of three is finished and has been iterated by community feedback to its current completion. Feel free to let me know what you think regardless as I am interested in your experience.

Pictures:

Screenshot_Doom_20200131_192134.png.49755193dc90311b1ae14fab3e71ab30.png
Screenshot_Doom_20200131_192117.png.6b7c4084643b138c3270ebe45620daf0.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200131_192217.png.2c9b5f94ddb1b0e70e239b16b418c5da.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200131_192155.png.6e30a2283e7d34d8d169e648b78ebec9.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200131_192254.png.4ec225ce72355d72d4a6b638d2a59ee5.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200131_192405.png.26ada4e2acdf00e37716843196e18247.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200131_192507.png.72cc5fa071812e55483f9862ded5c8f2.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200131_192450.png.368ea0cabb57d9ec8bfb5162b0a2323f.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200131_192604.png.19df6ca0c33728891fc20185246eedfc.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200131_192036.png.58c08fc19642c2b557c51807f0bb68fd.png

Details:

IWAD: Doom II
Map Format: Doom II in Hexen Format
Tested Ports: GzDoom 4.1.3.0
Jumping is required
Content: One level with second dummy level, aiming for a 3 level wad for completion.
Multiplayer Implemented?: No
Difficulty: All Implemented
Non-vanilla attributes?: Yes, 3d sectors, portals, and ACS scripting.
Play Time: 4-15 minutes

Description:

Welcome to the Nirvana, a class 3 Helicarrier designed to keep Mars safe from Hellspawn courtesy of the UAC to the military. However even 10 thousand feet in the sky prevention of inter-dimensional gates that could allow Hell's invasion into the carrier is still a priority, and as such quantum accelerators are installed within the ship as a countermeasure.

Unfortunately the legions of Hell seemed to have turned some of our own against us with promises of riches and power beyond their comprehension. With the accelerators down the Nirvana was invaded and with the jammed comms the traitors instigated the forces within crumpled like paper.

In your attempt to sound the alarms you were given a nice thump in the back of your head and dropped in a locker, assumed dead. Find out some way to reclaim the Nirvana from Hell's forces that now infest the helicarrier like maggots and kill any traitors that you are able to find.

Good Luck.

Newest Version Download:

FortOfDecepV0.22.rar

Older Versions:

Fortress of Deception v0.21.rar

Fortress of Deception v0.2.rar

Google Drive Repository:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QSxR4uofMXquhe3xGbMm0S44UyB3Nm3L

Versionlog:

Version 0.20 (12/31/2019)

Initial Release!

Version 0.21 (01/11/2020)

Map 01 elevator has been drastically changed, should be much more user friendly.

The Map 01 Tank Room and the Piston room have been modified to be a little bit larger and have more space to fight in.

Difficulty levels have been tweaked. Hard is harder, easy is easier, and the medium skill has been made a tad easier mainly in the turbine room ambush to be more fair.

Ambush after the turbine ambush has been tweaked for a more risk vs risk playstyle.

Readme file has been added to wad file itself, credits have been updated and expanded.

ACS code has been tightened up and added to due to the new elevator along with much better commenting.

Version 0.22 (1/31/2020)

Computer in the first room has been modified with new sounds and player blocking lines.

Map has been overall modified to make the ceiling and walls be a bit more interesting.

The first ambush has been modified to make the imps feel less beginner level stuff.

Carpet has been changed in red door hallway with blood and a much more understandable sizing.

The final room has been modified to trap the player in it.

Name has been shortened for the wad files for clarity sake, its now FortOfDecep.

Edited by mewbusi : New Version!

did a  demo of it

I must confess, I'm a sucker for detailed maps, and your map was like candy for my eyes.

I do however have a couple of gripes with it

first, the encounter in the water tanks for the yellow keycard and the encounter at the end of the level against the revenants, were both annoying, mainly because of the lack of freedom of movement. The map was quite cramped, so avoiding enemy projectiles stopped being about skill and just became about trying to guess where youll be able to step forward next.

My second problem, is a minor one. The elevator that takes you back to the upper lounge where the level starts is janky, to say the least. Maybe you could look into it?

One last thing, I'm not a fan of stealth enemies, or of the shotgunners from the walls. But maybe that's just personal taste.

All in all, I would really like to give this a play once more maps are added. This map may have had its issues, but it was definitely a sight to behold.

3 hours ago, PeceMan said:

did a  demo of it

I must confess, I'm a sucker for detailed maps, and your map was like candy for my eyes.

I do however have a couple of gripes with it

first, the encounter in the water tanks for the yellow keycard and the encounter at the end of the level against the revenants, were both annoying, mainly because of the lack of freedom of movement. The map was quite cramped, so avoiding enemy projectiles stopped being about skill and just became about trying to guess where youll be able to step forward next.

My second problem, is a minor one. The elevator that takes you back to the upper lounge where the level starts is janky, to say the least. Maybe you could look into it?

One last thing, I'm not a fan of stealth enemies, or of the shotgunners from the walls. But maybe that's just personal taste.

All in all, I would really like to give this a play once more maps are added. This map may have had its issues, but it was definitely a sight to behold.

For what ever reason it seems as if the demo locks up shortly after you cheat in some extra health. I'm using GZDoom for the playback, is that what you are using as well?

@Rex705 Thanks for the playthrough Rex, its good to see that texture mods still allow the map to look pretty nice. Also very nice reaction to the switch trap for the keycard, it does however make me think that adjusting the ambush after could provide a risk choice for the player rather than just allowing for picking off of enemies using that hallway.

I haven't played it but looking at the screenshots it could do with some ceiling variation. For example the second shot with the four pillars could have some indentation in the middle whether it be lights, or SKY with some supports around it.

Thanks for the input @xvertigox for likely the last update to the map before the 2nd map is released I'll see about providing a more varied ceiling geometry along with a couple other niggling issues. However I'm afraid that the SKY with supports idea for the 2nd shot doesn't quite work with the setting I'm trying to make. Since the map takes place on the more lower levels of a helicarrier sky above is very much so a distressing detail. Nonetheless thanks for the suggestion I'll take it into consideration.

@tam Thanks for the suggestion Tam, the last fight with the archviles is pretty tepid as it is. I'm thinking of either trying to force the players into the room but your suggestion to consider making it a little harder to stunlock enemies might also work. There are tons of ways to do this, perhaps upping the PainChance, giving a pain threshold, perhaps making some of the Ak's bullets be painless. It does provide an interesting set of options to me that I hadn't considered. Thanks!

Nice work with some scripting and portalling that doesn't get too heavy :) I like the chaingun replacement as well. Hope this continues!

@DavidN Thanks for the playthough david. Glad to hear your feedback.

Also new version. Should be final version of map 1. Now on to map 2.