Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ChaosDrop

[Edit] Hell on the Home Front (4 MAPS made)

Edited to become a new topic instead of creating a new one so the forum doesn't get any more overrun by stuff.

As Title says, this is my first attempt at mapping. I've been playing Doom and Doom2 for 15 years and I recently started planning my own 'mini' megawad, I want to make 14 maps, and so far I have 1 completed. I want to upload it here, as a means of showing a "proof of concept" in a sense, and to get some feedback from others with far more experience than I. There is a README in the ZIP file that contains all the important information, but I'll post it in here as well. I created the map with the GZDOOM - DOOM2 format. I structured it for UV difficulty, and there are no known bugs. Thank you to anyone who takes the time to play it and provide feedback!

FIRST4.zip

^Download First 4 Maps : Earth Base Four, Desiccant Halls, Out of Control and Sub-surface Tension. Give it a go, I'm still looking for feedback!

New Post Starts Here:

-MAP04 is now in the Download!- (I'm taking a hiatus for a week, family stuff)

I'm not all too familiar with the Doom Editing Tools, but I've seen enough tutorials to start messing with things in Slade and WhackEd. MAP01 is "done" (it just needs a little bit of decoration added to it, as well as optimization for difficulties that aren't UV) I've since started on MAP02 and I plan on this WAD being made with continuous play in mind. Every map will be designed for pistol start in case of death, but pistol start is not a requirement. (I may decide later on in a map to force a player to pistol start, like for starting a new chapter or something... I haven't gotten that far yet). I'm calling this project CHAOS DROP - HELL ON THE HOME FRONT. Here is the story that I have so far -

The UAC had teleportation testing bases set up on Earth as well as Mars. You play as a different marine than the one sent to Phobos. Some of the teleporters are malfunctioning deep in the installation and it is your job to go check up on the UAC scientists involved with them. This takes place just before HELL ON EARTH, just as the Demons started invading Earth. Watch your back, the base may not be as safe as you think...

Below is the TITLEPIC for the MegaWAD, as well as a couple of early screenshots from MAP01, MAP02, MAP03 and MAP04. Thank you for giving me your time!

Spoiler

New TITLEPIC

TITLEPIC.png.f21e0efca179c762771df53d84620c39.png

MAP01 - EARTH BASE FOUR

Screenshot_Doom_20200101_015220.png.500b938f98377a7c3ee6c1997f6ad716.png

MAP02 - DESICCANT HALLS

Screenshot_Doom_20200101_223408.png.3386e4e19fc7b4e4c0740047b0406266.png

MAP03 - OUT OF CONTROL

Screenshot_Doom_20200102_213411.png.bc0c7c12476dc24578891b5a27b008a7.png

MAP04 - Sub-Surface Tension

Screenshot_Doom_20200104_234327.png.9e80146b1cbfc39f16bc1b08cba2d36d.png

Edited by ChaosDrop : Updated Project

This map was tons of fun! The pacing was great and it kept you on the looking forward for the next bunch of demons to destroy, the difficulty was on the easy side but the Hellknight traps definitely gives a good shock and kept me on my toes. The map looks good for a classic tech base themed level and I didn't notice that much alignment errors. Also the secret was a nice surprise and I much appreciate the extra ammo!

Some rooms felt a little empty and a little decoration would make it feel lively. There was one alignment issue I found in the bottom room on the side of the roof in the stairwell, I think you can align that all the way to the next room at the top. awesomescreenshot.png.18fcea946d9aabff23435e8d7599d2ae.png

But other then that I found no more noticeable errors. I'm excited for the rest of the maps you'll create!

A great proof of concept! Kinda reminds me of episode 1 of DooM. The layout is simplistic and easy to navigate though the map definitely feels barren. I suggest maybe a few computer wall panels or the occasional obstacle/decoration objects to spice up the map a little.

My only real complaint here is resources felt a little tight for HMP. What probably didn't help was the fact that I had to kill off a chaingunner using only my pistol since unless I didn't see it, there's no shotgun to grab outside of what the former sergeants drop.

6 hours ago, TeeDeeGee said:

This map was tons of fun! The pacing was great and it kept you on the looking forward for the next bunch of demons to destroy, the difficulty was on the easy side but the Hellknight traps definitely gives a good shock and kept me on my toes. The map looks good for a classic tech base themed level and I didn't notice that much alignment errors. Also the secret was a nice surprise and I much appreciate the extra ammo!

Some rooms felt a little empty and a little decoration would make it feel lively. There was one alignment issue I found in the bottom room on the side of the roof in the stairwell, I think you can align that all the way to the next room at the top. awesomescreenshot.png.18fcea946d9aabff23435e8d7599d2ae.png

But other then that I found no more noticeable errors. I'm excited for the rest of the maps you'll create!

I'm glad that you had fun with it, and I had a feeling that I needed a little bit more decoration in it. Trying to come up with a good way to map out the different paths was fun.

2 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

A great proof of concept! Kinda reminds me of episode 1 of DooM. The layout is simplistic and easy to navigate though the map definitely feels barren. I suggest maybe a few computer wall panels or the occasional obstacle/decoration objects to spice up the map a little.

My only real complaint here is resources felt a little tight for HMP. What probably didn't help was the fact that I had to kill off a chaingunner using only my pistol since unless I didn't see it, there's no shotgun to grab outside of what the former sergeants drop.

You know, the thought of putting in computer panels had completely passed my mind. As for the HMP thing, so far this map is only designed for UV and I didn't want to give a shotgun before the player encounters the sergeants.

I can sense quite a bit of potential here, I like the use of in game textures being ‘ripped’ for use in the Title Screen. I’d suggest using the classic doom font for the title like you did with the subtitle. Something about the AmazDooMLeft font kinda looks odd and out of place. The map was great and I liked the lighting and exploration. Keep it up and you’ll have a very good Megawad. Maybe even expanded into a full 32 maps in time instead of 14. Keep checking other users’ projects and look back at the original doom 2 for texture use and enemy encounters.

I've updated the OP with new screenshots. I changed the TITLEPIC as @Perdition666 had suggested, and it does look quite a bit better than with the "new doom" font. I also have a screenshot of MAP02 included in the Spoiler. MAP02 is almost finished, once it is, I'll update the download link so that it can be played alongside MAP01

Played Map 2. The ammo balance is better in this one, and the lighting adds to the atmosphere. There’s fewer enemies in this map than the last? Also that first secret was clever. All that seems to be needed is some decoration still.

I've since added some decoration to MAP01 and MAP02. MAP03 is halfway to completion. Also, @DynamiteKaitorn I added a shotgun to the area before the chaingunner in MAP01 just in case players don't encounter the sergeants first. The download is updated for MAP01 and 02

The added barrels and lightposts were a nice touch. I particularly liked the dead marine placements used in a light sense of “story telling”. I noticed there are still no computers in the walls, was that something you forgot, or perhaps there will be a more tech themed map coming up? Also the closed off nukage area in map02 is by far my favorite aesthetic look in the map.

1 hour ago, Perdition666 said:

The added barrels and lightposts were a nice touch. I particularly liked the dead marine placements used in a light sense of “story telling”. I noticed there are still no computers in the walls, was that something you forgot, or perhaps there will be a more tech themed map coming up? Also the closed off nukage area in map02 is by far my favorite aesthetic look in the map.

Oof, I forgot about terminals again. There will be a computer/tech map in chapter 1 however

I now have a screenshot of the opening of MAP03 "OUT OF CONTROL". The only thing left to do in editing is tweak some thing placements and test it out a few times.

I finally got around to playing the second map and it was tons of fun as well! I didn't see any alignment errors and I never felt I was in an empty room, there was always something that made lifelike. My previous stays the same here aside from the nitpicks I had.

There was one thing though. I got stuck inside this pillar and had to go back to my previous save, a switch or allowing the box to be lowered on the other side should fix this.

Screenshot_Doom_20200102_225845.png.806aae1063c193e3979d25d76158bf99.png

I'm excited to see the third map and the rest of the WAD!

I have fixed that error in MAP02, the inside of the pillar now should act as a lift. I have finalized MAP03 and it is in the download located in the OP. Thank you for your interest in the WAD! I much appreciate it. There is a slight jump in difficulty with this one, but I didn't have any real problems while playing it. ;)

Hey! I just played through the three maps, and they were a ton of fun! They definitely have an old school feel to them, and I could honestly see them being in vanilla Doom 2. Some might say you could add more detail, but I honestly love that classic feel. I absolutely love the first secret in the second and third levels! Those are such cool ideas. However, the elevator switch in the first secret of the second level is a one time use, so the player can get trapped up there as seem in the picture.

Screenshot_Doom_20200103_225819.png.346477b7a248b246a822cfde79150ed1.png

Personally, I feel the difficulty jump is a bit much in the third level, but maybe I just suck as Doom. Also, another thing I would recommend is to tag the lindefs of your elevators to "Front Side Only." This will make it so the elevator does not activate again when the player gets off of it. That's just a small polish thing that isn't completely necessary though. Overall, I enjoyed level 2 the most, and I believe it was the best of the three in terms of design and the way it played. You've shown a lot of potential and I'm very much looking forward to seeing more levels from you. Playing these levels have inspired me to continue working on my own!

1 minute ago, Clank117 said:

Hey! I just played through the three maps, and they were a ton of fun! They definitely have an old school feel to them, and I could honestly see them being in vanilla Doom 2. Some might say you could add more detail, but I honestly love that classic feel. I absolutely love the first secret in the second and third levels! Those are such cool ideas. However, the elevator switch in the first secret of the second level is a one time use, so the player can get trapped up there as seem in the picture.

Screenshot_Doom_20200103_225819.png.346477b7a248b246a822cfde79150ed1.png

Personally, I feel the difficulty jump is a bit much in the third level, but maybe I just suck as Doom. Also, another thing I would recommend is to tag the lindefs of your elevators to "Front Side Only." This will make it so the elevator does not activate again when the player gets off of it. That's just a small polish thing that isn't completely necessary though. Overall, I enjoyed level 2 the most, and I believe it was the best of the three in terms of design and the way it played. You've shown a lot of potential and I'm very much looking forward to seeing more levels from you. Playing these levels have inspired me to continue working on my own!

I thought that switch was set to repeat. Oops, heh. With this being 14 maps instead of 32, the difficulty is going to ramp up sooner than expected. I didn't know you could set to "Front Side Only" I'll look into that. Most of all, thank you for taking the time to play. I'm glad you liked the secrets :) and I'm glad that I have inspired you.

Just finished the 3rd map and it's still a blast to play! I can't think of anything too different without sounding like a broken record, it's still exciting and the maps are alive and feel like a tech base.

It may be because I'm garbage at this game but the hall full of hit scanners really felt like a huge jump in difficulty, maybe put map 3 a little later in the full WAD or tone it down a bit. Just an idea though.

Can't wait to see the next challenge in map 4!

Edited by TeeDeeGee

21 hours ago, TeeDeeGee said:

Just finished the 3rd map and it's still a blast to play! I can't think of anything too different without sounding like a broken record, it's still exciting and the maps are alive and feel like a tech base.

It may be because I'm garbage at this game but the hall full of hit scanners really felt like a huge jump in difficulty, maybe put map 3 a little later in the full WAD or tone it down a bit. Just an idea though.

Can't wait to see the next challenge in map 4!

There's a secret partial invisibility accesible before that hallway. I'll still most likely lower the monster count in that area though. I appreciate all the feedback that you have been giving

MAP04 is finished and in the download in OP. I'm not really too happy with it... I may end up changing it in the future, depends on what you guys think. Please let me know.

Just played through the fourth map, and i still really enjoyed it! I actually liked it a bit more than the third level. It still has that classic feel going in it which is great. The only things I would suggest is to possibly make it a bit longer as it is short. Also, you may want to add some texture variation in the cave section of the map as everything looks a bit samey. And I would also try to make the red key door look more like, well, a door haha. Overall still a very enjoyable level and I had fun with it. Keep on mapping! 

3 minutes ago, Clank117 said:

Just played through the fourth map, and i still really enjoyed it! I actually liked it a bit more than the third level. It still has that classic feel going in it which is great. The only things I would suggest is to possibly make it a bit longer as it is short. Also, you may want to add some texture variation in the cave section of the map as everything looks a bit samey. And I would also try to make the red key door look more like, well, a door haha. Overall still a very enjoyable level and I had fun with it. Keep on mapping! 

Once I get back to working on this I most certainly will make some adjustments. I really appreciate your time investment. I planned on 04 being a little on the shorter side, as 5 and 6 will be longer and step up in difficulty again. Especially with 6 "ending the chapter" I have big plans for that one.