Linguica

Doom Pictures Thread 2020

Okay? Is this... raytracing? Looks cool, kind of like modern art. :D

23 minutes ago, elend said:

Where are the melted clocks though?

5 hours ago, elend said:

Yep, all GPU raytracing, at what I assume is 30fps but haven't actually measured yet. :)

Though just saying 30fps is misleading, because the temporal blending I'm using takes at least 60 frames to resolve into a picture that looks like this.

Needs work, in other words.

On 5/15/2020 at 6:02 AM, StalkerBlade said:

@elend All of the lighting is done with dynamic lights. Took a lot of frustrating hours to figure out a way to pull it off, haha...

Does GZDoom now have parallel light, as suitable for sunlight scenes? 

On 5/15/2020 at 6:02 AM, StalkerBlade said:

All of the lighting is done with dynamic lights. Took a lot of frustrating hours to figure out a way to pull it off, haha...

Looks just great! How? Those sharp shadows?

5 hours ago, printz said:

Does GZDoom now have parallel light, as suitable for sunlight scenes? 

2 hours ago, Jaska said:

Looks just great! How? Those sharp shadows?

The slanted sharp shadows are most likely done with either an invisible sloped 3D floor that has a lower light value than the surrounding sectors, or there's a very thin wedge-shaped sector up against the wall to act as the slope of the shadow.  It's unlikely to be actual dynamic lights (GZDoom doesn't support shadowcasting on the vertical axis).

On 5/15/2020 at 6:14 PM, SmileTheory said:

Kfy0hb9.jpg

I literally just got this working, so do not expect anything anytime soon.

Oh, and this is in my own code, not a source port.

Very neat. If you are adept in this sort of coding I would suggest you take a look at https://sourceforge.net/projects/doomtracer/ which is a long-dead CPU-based raytracer based on Chocolate Doom. If we could make raytraced recording of Doom demos that would be excellent.

5 hours ago, StalkerBlade said:

That was my first idea, but it took way too long, used up too many tags, and caused some bad lag from all the slopes needed. Here's what I ended up doing:

Create a sector with a low light level and grab a spotlight. Make it's inner angle 89 and it's outer angle 90, then pitch the light upwards until it's back end creates the angle of the shadow you need. Position it where the lighting appears to make a little sense. If needed, you can "tile" the lights downward until the lighting reaches the ground.

It's a crude and pretty limited technique, but I found it way easier and faster to work with than using 3d slopes. Doesn't look too bad and won't destroy performance.

That's cool. Going to try it on my maps as well. I see already there will be quite a work to get it look natural.

This must have been awful lot of work to make it in editor. At this point maybe just using a 3D model that looks like level geometry would be better.

4 minutes ago, NeoWorm said:

This must have been awful lot of work to make it in editor. At this point maybe just using a 3D model that looks like level geometry would be better.

Can we export 3D floor constructs from the map editor into actual 3D models? That would be a better way of working than by redoing the chair from scratch.

For a long time i'm working on this slaughter hellish map, but it's too complex and is too big i can't finish it...

Spoiler

0Rb9GZX.jpgcMYc4kt.jpgp11ZT3z.jpghMuvoK5.jpgd01WF9K.jpg8icTZmM.jpg

What do you say? Is it worthy?

1526131013_incrediblescenes.png.bbe06395a7f70fc9d92e33114dbac456.png

made this incredible mod
you are a small rat and can carry less ammo

except you can carry more plasma because that stuff doesn't take up space dude
shotgun boxes have five shells in them, ammo boxes have 20
thats the wad

i didn't change any of the hands on the guns because i think modern gfx tbh are serious shackles on the imagination if you think about it

On 5/17/2020 at 3:05 AM, Russell_P said:

I was watching Josh and Jimmy the other day. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I fear streaming is taking it's toll.

[JIMLER AND WALJOSH]

are you fuckin kidding me lmao

ss_5e240fe62d9eb0266fc77486ab28c6a08d568

When you zoom in you can see a fancy pixel mesh. I really like this promo screenshot from Prodeus and I decided to emulate such visual style for my Doom build. Their pixels are 5x5 wide and mine are 4x4 but I'm playing in 1440x1080 while the screenshot above is bigger. (Main mods I used for this are reshade, pixel retro fx, mari fx and worldgamma)

e0Mg8kB.png