Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Doom Pictures Thread 2020

Line action 80 (WR Light Change to Brightest Adjacent) simply does not work as expected in vanilla or limit-removing format, taking light levels from the sectors adjacent to the calling line, rather than the sectors around the tagged sector. Still, I got determined and have something approaching the intended effect for 25 Years on Earth MAP13. Unfortunately, I want to work on this room further and may have to fix this effect every time. Even more unfortunately, the function does work as expected in Boom-format and greater ports (such as GZDoom), meaning the effect is different between the two ports. Here's the effect working as fudged in prboom+ complevel 2:

Before triggering:

rwuQjd7.png

Triggered once (note how the sector bordering the central lava fall is darker):

3ksAX5K.png

Triggered twice (and finally, for now.. I still haven't worked out how to put a third step in like I'd like to, but I'm working on it):

bJ0IiwI.jpg

I've since lowered the light level achieved a little, but everything tagged with any of the four tags ends up at uniform brightness. I used four tags because it seemed to just drop the lighting to the lowest if I had the tags configured differently. That last shot is a little out of date, as I do have it lighting up the lava in front of the player now.

This is a level generator I'm working on. It uses something similar to a cellular automaton. A famous cellular automaton would be Conway's Game of Life (RIP John Conway). There are 256 prefab-rooms which connect in certain ways. You give it a seed for the middle-square method (select a middle of size 3). The seed is taken and run through a modulo 256 operator and that is the initial room. You then select rooms that can connect to the rooms using the middle squares method until the middle squares method repeats (it stops producing random numbers after 100 iterations, then loops) So far I only have 5 states and made it generate mazes (so that everything can connect no matter what). The "cellular automata" is in a Moore neighborhood so that rooms can connect diagonally (so far just a Von Neumann neighborhood since I'm generating mazes and nothing connects diagonally). Red is the spawnpoint

First image: view by states.

image.png.1b0d4fcb71cb0a400158b1faba218dba.png

Second image: view in doombuilder.

image.png.d171ea6f8942ff65442bf66b5c20447d.png

15 hours ago, BluePineapple72 said:

More first WAD Progress. I'm getting worried that I'm making this thing too big.

Good work so far! One of the best pieces of advice I can provide is that you should always try to make the play-areas larger than you probably think they should be. Your map has a lot of tight spaces that can only fit one or two enemies in, and expanding this out will really help people not feel so claustrophobic, unless that's what you're going for. A lot of my early maps were too cramped, so it's a good lesson to try and learn early!

On 4/14/2020 at 7:30 PM, skaarjman said:

Chizra - Nali Water God

Screenshot-Doom-20200415-005921.png

Man, Unreal would have been so much better with a double shotgun

1 hour ago, dobu gabu maru said:

Good work so far! One of the best pieces of advice I can provide is that you should always try to make the play-areas larger than you probably think they should be. Your map has a lot of tight spaces that can only fit one or two enemies in, and expanding this out will really help people not feel so claustrophobic, unless that's what you're going for. A lot of my early maps were too cramped, so it's a good lesson to try and learn early!

Thank you! Yeah, I've definitely run into the issue of making a lot of my areas too cramped, especially that mess maze I mentioned above. My concern is that I'm bloating the map with too much stuff. I already know everything I want to put into the map, but I'm worried it'll make it too long. We'll see when I finish it!

1 hour ago, BluePineapple72 said:

I already know everything I want to put into the map, but I'm worried it'll make it too long. We'll see when I finish it!

I think one of the best ways to look at it is less "am I making the map too long" and more "is the map still interesting?" If your playtime is like, over 40 minutes, then yeah you might be making it too long, but for the most part maps will only feel exhausting if the player wants to do something besides play the map. As long as the map remains interesting, you should have the players attention.

Another good general tip is if you're bored or uninterested while designing, the player will feel like that too!

First proper level and my favorite room from it. I don't think its good enough to release but I am rather proud of it, even in its simplicity. Unrelated, but how do you embed photos from a website like imgur? I hate inserting files from my PC.

Builder_2020-04-17_19-31-02.png

gzdoom_2020-04-17_19-26-57.png

https://imgur.com/a/KEfSVan

I don't know how to feel about this area pictured bellow (second image). It's not finished, but I still feel like it needs some major work done to make it suck less.

Edited by BluePineapple72 : I'm removing some images from old posts to free up space

5 minutes ago, BluePineapple72 said:

I don't know how to feel about this area pictured bellow. It's not finished, but I still feel like it needs some major work done to make it suck less.

Looks great if you ask me! I think the only thing that's missing is some moody lighting.

12 hours ago, Marcaek said:

Man, Unreal would have been so much better with a double shotgun

...And chainsaw, and normal shotgun :) and some hitscanners 

15 hours ago, tgawt said:

Unrelated, but how do you embed photos from a website like imgur?

Just paste the URL of the image (for imgur, it'll be in the form i.imgur.com/<image code>.png; if you don't have the i. and the .png or .jpg, it's not the right link) and the forum will embed it automatically.

47 minutes ago, Chopkinsca said:

Sure, let's quicksave at 8% health.

save too much.png

That's the moment I realize I need a backup save but since I'm too lazy to save in a different slot fuck it

11 minutes ago, Deadwing said:

That's the moment I realize I need a backup save but since I'm too lazy to save in a different slot fuck it

In GZDoom I rebound long ago the quicksave key to "special autosave" instead of the regular quicksave command.

Though now the engine has a native feature for rotating quicksaves through several slots.

18 minutes ago, Simon666 said:

Deadwing, is it a new textures set? Look pretty! I would make a map with this.

It's a set of textures from several users that I compiled which I got from this thread: 

You can download them within the old ozonia release too (which hopefully I gave the proper credits)