Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaZa

The DWIronman League dies to: Hellscape

On 1/2/2020 at 3:41 PM, RonnieJamesDiner said:

My kingdom for a radiation suit! Oh, the Humanity...

Well, I made it to the opening stages of map22, hoorah. Fell into the nukage pit, the panic set in; the Spectres swarmed; the light faded. If only I'd grabbed the Soulsphere (like I considered doing), I might've survived long enough to find my way out of there. Oh well.

Ok so I'm not the only one who died in the exact same way!  Didn't see the stairs until I checked it out after my fail.  That's what I get for trying to record late at night, heh.

DWIronman_Hellscape_AnimaZero.zip

On 1/2/2020 at 1:40 AM, ReaperAA said:

This wad is brutal. Brutal when it comes to restricting players movement using all those sectors and detailing (oh and obnoxious use of chaingunners in every corner on the 2nd map).

Demo: D2HSdemo.zip (Category 1)

Used: Glboom+ 2.5.1.7um (Complevel 9)

Dead on: Map 23 (reached at around 30:00)

BTW, @NaZa I apologize for not mentioning this in the thread but I actually did 2 runs. My first run was screwed by a combination of bad fps drop (single digit lag at that point) and lethal imp scratching. So I did the run from there again. Instead of recording the demo file again from start, I just decided to keep that fuckup (in the very same demo file at about 5 min mark) and let you decide.

Edit: If u think this is unfair from my end, then don't hesitate to reevaluate my ranking based on my first attempt's performance.

Edited by ReaperAA

Category 1 Survived in 2:13:24

DWIronman-d2hs-dubz.zip

Spoiler

While I do like the remake of the Doom 2 maps this wad probably would of been a lot better if there wasn't so much hitscan snipers in wide open areas, running through is suicide unless you know the maps I guess. Either way can't think of many "unfair" moments, mostly just have to inch around the maps taking out all the hitscan. I'd also like to say no idea how i survived Map 29.. I think that one will kill most people off if more make it that far ;D 

18 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

BTW, @NaZa I apologize for not mentioning this in the thread but I actually did 2 runs. My first run was screwed by a combination of bad fps drop (single digit lag at that point) and lethal imp scratching. So I did the run from there again. Instead of recording the demo file again from start, I just decided to keep that fuckup (in the very same demo file at about 5 min mark) and let you decide.

Edit: If u think this is unfair from my end, then don't hesitate to reevaluate my ranking based on my first attempt's performance.

Yes, thanks for coming clean. I usually just Page Down and End the demos to get intermission screens, times when you entered next map etc. I checked the demo out again now and saw you actually die. I'll have to reevaluate your ranking, I'm afraid, even though I admire your honesty - while having a large FPS drop is certainly very unfortunate, so are power outages and sudden crashes to desktop - and those don't get a retry. Again, I'm really sorry, but thanks for confessing at least. A good reminder I shouldn't just skip large portions of the demo, I guess, because it's been sitting there without myself noticing. I'll just write your other "run" as a prepared run on the other board, if it's some solace.

lel

Category 1, mutated on map 22.

Beautiful details, awesome darkness, awkward gameplay. Imo it's preferably suited for sitting down and climbing through the maps like an adventure of some sort, maybe on zdoom as the author recommends, so not something I considered entertaining for this mode, because methodically SG/CG-tapping stuff for minutes doesn't sound like a plan for me personally. To NaZa's credit, it's always welcoming to meet recreations of iwad maps and see what the mappers can do, so cheers for that.

For future ironmans I'd highly suggest a megawad called "Number One Kill The Next Generation". It's old, that's all you need to know (:

Suddenly chaingunners appeared from the darkness. Wasn't sure what I was supposed to do really

Category 1

Map 21

Kills: 37/151

Length: 4 minutes

Contender for the coveted last place? :P

0_ironman_horus.zip

I watched a bit of @SSGmaster's run and noticed his brightness was a lot higher than mine, so I did some digging and realised I put myself at a big disadvantage by using prBoom+ rather than GLBoom+; the brightness in the latter is way better

1 hour ago, Horus said:

I watched a bit of @SSGmaster's run and noticed his brightness was a lot higher than mine, so I did some digging and realised I put myself at a big disadvantage by using prBoom+ rather than GLBoom+; the brightness in the latter is way better

Ooh, didn't realize this was a thing. I was using prboom+ as well. 

48 minutes ago, galileo31dos01 said:

I use glboom+ and this is how I see things both in software and in opengl

VzukCUU.png

NMQURU7.png

Same results here, unless you ramp up the gamma even with the GZDoom sector lightning, it's dark as hell in this thing.

Arche described making runs in this wad quite aptly: You could turn off the monitor and it would not make much difference, rofl.

Hmm, maybe I have some other setting different between the two then, because for me the difference is massive

It's also easier to see them at the vanilla 320x200 resolution. High-res software ports make them harder to see than the developers intended.

1 hour ago, Bdubzzz said:

Ya its easier to see spectres in glboom as well 

Not for me. GlBoom simply renders them as shadows, which, ironically, are much more difficult to see if you ramp up the gamma.

In GZDoom you can just make them translucent, similar to PSX Doom, or choose Noise, which makes the fuzz effect much more pronounced and easier to see.

On 1/7/2020 at 4:50 AM, galileo31dos01 said:

I use glboom+ and this is how I see things both in software and in opengl

VzukCUU.png

NMQURU7.png

I use the GLBoom sector light mode (I find the GZdoom sector light mode too dark).

To say a few words about this topic, I do feel raising gamma correction isn't in the spirit of Ironman, especially in sets that would play around with darkness to invoke mood and atmosphere. Raising the brightness in such a map would likely have a tremendous effect on the environmental problem the player faces in such a set and it would probably be much easier for them. However, it's not something that can be checked in demos, so it's a gray area. A loophole, if you will.

20 hours ago, NaZa said:

To say a few words about this topic, I do feel raising gamma correction isn't in the spirit of Ironman, especially in sets that would play around with darkness to invoke mood and atmosphere. Raising the brightness in such a map would likely have a tremendous effect on the environmental problem the player faces in such a set and it would probably be much easier for them. However, it's not something that can be checked in demos, so it's a gray area. A loophole, if you will.

So when you play a demo, does it use your source port settings rather than that of the player?

And yeah, I realised the higher brightness I get from GLBoom+ was simply gamma correction lol

20 hours ago, NaZa said:

I mean, I m fine with this as a rule for Ironman, but I don t really get why it should be considered as cheating or TAS.

1 hour ago, Horus said:

So when you play a demo, does it use your source port settings rather than that of the player?

Source port settings are used in demo playback.

1 hour ago, seed said:

I mean, I m fine with this as a rule for Ironman, but I don t really get why it should be considered as cheating or TAS.

It's an exploit but definitely not something that can be considered cheating. If this is cheating, then using anything higher than 320x200 resolution would also be cheatin :D

A compromise would be to encourage people to use Gamma Correction 1 at most (in prBoom and glBoom, in ZDoom it's about Gamma 1.6 right?). I can't check that obviously but it can help you a lot. It's an exploit, like ReaperAA said. 

5 minutes ago, NaZa said:

A compromise would be to encourage people to use Gamma Correction 1 at most (in prBoom and glBoom, in ZDoom it's about Gamma 1.6 right?). I can't check that obviously but it can help you a lot. It's an exploit, like ReaperAA said. 

As it works with the GLBOOM sector light definitely, that one essentially increases the ambient light in the map. GZDOOM... not so much, it's just vanilla gamma correction.

Anyway, so it shall be and I will comply.

On 1/4/2020 at 2:08 PM, NaZa said:

To anyone who's not content with this month's pick, I'd like to formally apologize.

You don't have to. :)
Some harsh wads (in terms of ammo shortage at least) have had been picked by Alfonzo in the past, such as Hellfire: Dreams and an_mutt's 2017 Collection. I think this kind of wads is also part of Ironman history.
But yeah, this definitely is a polarizing choice and a rough wad to start things up with.

That being said, I'm back.
I'm pretty pissed off about missing the last couple Ironman events, but free time was at a premium for me these last two months.

Here's my demo on Doom II Hellscape.
Standard run (even though I played the wad when it got released, and map 29 is more familiar to me due to it being released years before the whole wad).
I've managed to reach map 29, but all good things have to come to an end and a Revenant got the best of me after about 4 hours of playtime.

As for the wad itself, I have mixed feelings about it. While I admire Chris Lutz's sense of detail and his wonderful work on lighting, this is clearly not the kind of wad that I'd be willing to play over and over.
My gripes are :
- Ammo starvation, which got reduced thanks to playtester feed
back back then but which is still very real in the last version,

- Too many Chaingunners that you just cannot see and who snipe you from afar,
- Map 24, yay for Revenants firing at you while you try to cross these thin catwalks...

This mapset seems to have been designed with ZDoom and freelook in mind, as there are plenty of steep stairs that non-freelook players will have trouble navigating through.
Still, even with its shortcomings, Hellscape is a gorgeous wad and well worth the time. It is a massive source of inspiration for me and overall a new and interesting retelling of the stock Doom II third episode.

d2hs-Ironman-Map29-wh.zip

I thought this was going to be a blind run until I saw the first map and realized I've played this before. So this is a category 2 even though I only have seen the first map. Died at the very end of map23 to a stupid barrel trap. Just when I saw the monster count and said "phew." Oh well, what are you gonna do. I enjoyed the experience, though. Nice maps. I'll finish a playthrough in the future.

Iron01.zip

Somewhere at half the month now, leaderboard updated, things are turning out alright so far. Satisfied with the number so far, honestly! Would've been satisfied even with only five showing up; this is exceeding my expectations by a lot.

Hi all here's my Ironman submission.  I had a perpetual ammo problem throughout and ended up getting harassed by Cacodemons into some lava on the first map. :(

Category 1

I used Eternity Engine with the below parameters, hope this is OK (first Ironman for me).

eternity -file d2hs-lutz.wad -deh D2HS.bex -complevel 9 -warp 21 -skill 4 -record DWIronman-d2hs-ozy.lmp

DWIronman-d2hs-ozy.zip

23 minutes ago, ozy said:

I used Eternity Engine with the below parameters, hope this is OK

I love Eternity Engine and always use it. But for DWIronman League Eternity Engine is ok only for complevel 2 and 3 WADs and with -vanilla parameter after "eternity". For complevel 9, 11 etc. we all use PrBoom+ or GlBoom+.

-complevel is not supported by Eternity Engine, but -vanilla does the same as -complevel 2 and -complevel 3.