Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaZa

The DWIronman League dies to: Hellscape

38 minutes ago, Loud Silence said:

I love Eternity Engine and always use it. But for DWIronman League Eternity Engine is ok only for complevel 2 and 3 WADs and with -vanilla parameter after "eternity". For complevel 9, 11 etc. we all use PrBoom+ or GlBoom+.

-complevel is not supported by Eternity Engine, but -vanilla does the same as -complevel 2 and -complevel 3.

OK thanks for the info i'll remember that for the next wad. 

There’s still 10 days left to join in and try and die sooner than me, folks :P

14 hours ago, Horus said:

There’s still 10 days left to join in and try and die sooner than me, folks :P

Same -_-

I have played this one before, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Fell ungracefully into the nukage on map22 and lost sight of any exit until it was too late. I blame trying to do this while intoxicated. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Category 2, Standard

"Wow, seems to be a really nice reimagination and rethinking of the original id maps. Hell on Earth the Way It Should Be Done? I might do a prepared survival for that one" -- so were my thoughts after practicing first three maps.

And then came MAP24.

NOPE.

Nothing can manage to make id levels (except for Thy Flesh) pleasant to me, especially Hell on Earth Ep. 3.

I lost my patience and any motivation rather early, but somehow made it to a graceful exit on MAP26 tally screen. 6 completed maps in sum in 1:20:03.

dwid2hs3.zip

On 1/25/2020 at 3:29 AM, dt_ said:

Blocked by infinitely tall spectre, then fell in the slime, no apparent way out, oh well

20 hours ago, Bashe said:

Fell ungracefully into the nukage on map22 and lost sight of any exit until it was too late. I blame trying to do this while intoxicated. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

THE PIT. STRIKES. AGAIN. Merciless and unwavering, it consumes another pair of poor souls.  

17 hours ago, Vince Vega said:

"Wow, seems to be a really nice reimagination and rethinking of the original id maps. Hell on Earth the Way It Should Be Done? I might do a prepared survival for that one" -- so were my thoughts after practicing first three maps.

And then came MAP24.

NOPE.

Nothing can manage to make id levels (except for Thy Flesh) pleasant to me, especially Hell on Earth Ep. 3.

I lost my patience and any motivation rather early, but somehow made it to a graceful exit on MAP26 tally screen. 6 completed maps in sum in 1:20:03.

dwid2hs3.zip

I assume this is active preparation, a shot at solely the prepared leaderboard? I've pinned it there for now, at least.

EDIT - Oh my! Seven people got fried so far, that's about 29% of all the participants this month. Yikes! Only three out of ten deaths on MAP22 happened outside of this area - but all three were also in the same area, after the steep stairway. I guess the map has two potential deathspots and we found both.

I honestly didn't remember that pit being as bad as it was. Really though, in an Ironman scenario, any damaging floor area that big can be scary because it's just like "oh shit get out" if you happen to fall in. This one's especially bad because there's dudes all over the place on the outside as well.

I joined to the veil of blood thanks to a fanatical chaingunner bastard after that a skinny vile surprised me from behind while I was staring the end of the map. 

Dead on map 25, category 1, time was 1:21:40 when I died. 

One thing I must say for this mapset...this version of The Chasm was MUCH better than the abomination of the original map...even if it has the same essence of the original.

Demo: dwim_HSLD85.zip

Blind run (category 1), dead on map22

MAP21       EXIT  151/151    0  129/129  1/1  30:03+09
MAP22       DEAD   34/199  165     0/57  0/4   6:00+16

This was blind, or at least as much as it could be given that D2HS is a remake of the final third of Doom2 so some knowledge is bound to carry over. I should note that I had played the 2007 standalone version of The Dying End, but I believe this is irrelevant as the recording ends long before map29.

The use of only IWAD textures, a bricks and metal theme, but highly detailed architecture and lighting, and pervasive Boom special effects, made the wad seem significantly reminiscent of the early 2000s, when limit-breaking maps for source ports began to eclipse those made for vanilla, but before the modern era of full texture and palette replacements.

At first map21 "The Suffering" seemed slightly easier than its inspiration Nirvana, perhaps with a larger monster population, but much more room to move - certainly the yellow key room, where you teleport into an ambush surrounded by imps, then pain elementals (and here with additional cacodemons) felt much easier. But then the second part of the map, after the yellow door - the hell cave in the original, now a lava valley - dropped me from 197 to 85 health in short order, as I took damage from long range attacks, and blindness-induced caution, trying to avoid overdodging, falling off the ledge into the lava whose escapability is unknown on a first attempt. Fortunately I could retreat for the megasphere I had saved; it had not been a hard secret to uncover. I was thus able to clear the area, although actually unlocking the exit took considerably longer. Such is a blind run.

Then map22 "Catatonic", I took too much damage from the acid floor at the start while searching the first room for the secrets, which I assumed would be present by symmetry with the original. (Sadly they were not - the chaingunner alcove behind the torches, there is no differently-coloured torch to press on. Worse, the spectre secret is present, but inaccessible because the gun-triggered door has a zero tag. Very surprising to see in a 2017 release - I honestly thought the basic ZDoomisms had finally died out, map designers being much more clued up about source port differences now.)

Anyway so despite having 160 blue armour coming onto the level I faced the top-of-lift ambush with barely half my health intact. Then as I felt unconfident to leave the relative safety given by the small amount of cover at the top of the lift I tried to clear the next room from too long a range while being exposed to missiles from all directions in front of me. I missed far too many shots, wasted far too much ammo (totally exhausted my chaingun, essential for sniping at range) and couldn't stop getting hit. Even though I survived a revenant missile at 18 health I was not able to capitalize on this ridiculous luck and succumbed to an imp fireball a few seconds later.

Here is my submission.

pegleg_dwi_d2hs.zip

I actually played through blind back on January 2 and it's taken me this long to be able to find the time to get back to it for my "prepared" run.

Category 1

Dead on Map 21

Kills: 32/151

Time: 3:02

I ended up getting snagged on some stuff right as a revenant came around the corner. To say that I handled that poorly is an understatement, because I kept backing up and sideways into the thing I was stuck on, and proceeded to take two rockets to the face. And I thought I was actually doing decently up to that point.

Category 3

Dead on Map 21

Kills: 42/151

Time: 5:58

I made it past the revenants into the larger chamber with the chaingunners and mancubi, where my health was whittled down. I probably should have taken more advantage of the infighting instead of charging ahead to kill monsters myself. Two monsters actually died after I had expired, so I took them off the final kill count.

Doom II: Hellscape is a beautiful mapset. It is very attractive and it really presents a wide ranging Hell episode. It is an intriguing reimagining of the final 11 maps and is difficult, as befits the finale of the game.

Edited by Pegleg : Attached zip file.

The January challenge is now over. Well done @Bdubzzz for surviving, blind at that - worthy of being called a winner!

The thread for the February challenge will be up in the next two hours.

I've also updated the Google Spreadsheets based on the standings. The Prepared Leaderboard isn't on there yet. Might make one for that as well but with a different points system.

Edited by NaZa : I can month yes