Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A2Rob

Running Late 2 - 16 BOOM compatible maps (NOW ON IDGAMES)

Finally got to this today, after almost 2 whole months of not touching Doom. Fun, and I'm liking it a lot so far (I've also coined the term "Farmer Plasma Riflers" :v ).

Here's part 1 of my let's play :) - beware lots of random rambling BTW:

Spoiler

I loved it. Gorgeous aesthetics and super fun gameplay. I played on UV pistol start. Great difficulty curve. Levels 12 (subway station) and 13 made me sweat the hell out of me. Of course, this will be one of my mentionations for 2020 Cacowards. Thank you A2Rob for this incredible wad!

So Part 2 is done 1.0 .

I'm liking the new city levels, and the atmosphere is just as good. But I'm starting to notice some issues:

- The layout of some maps is a bit confusing, with no clear way of telling what should be approached first to progress.

- Damaging blue water. Um... why tho :v .

- I've waited a bit more, but now some of the indoor areas are obviously having some issues in terms of design. The ceiling in many rooms is just not high enough, causing the sprites of the Revs and sometimes other enemies to look cut-off significantly - Revs basically look like they're cut in half...

Still liking it a lot though.

Spoiler

Edited by seed

And we're done :D .

This time it was more entertaining to watch than Part 2, I hope, which was a bit monotonous during the first hour. And much shorter, apparently the final maps are very short.

Unfortunately, the ending is rather anti-climatic, for one, the last 2 levels are very short compared to MAP11 or 12, and for final maps, they're too easy for their own good. Not bad by any means, but not what one would expect to come across at the end of the wad. MAP31 is also a... pretty filler level, plays okay but... it doesn't work, especially as the canonical end of the journey.

All around solid and I am still going to nominate it, but I am a bit disappointed by the turn of events at the end. So, 8/10. Good, but could've been better in places. If there's ever going to be a RL3 I can only hope these issues will be addressed, because again, it is good but the current issues prevent it from reaching its full potential.

Spoiler

Edited by seed

Posted (edited)

Hello,
1) I'm in map05. I do not know how to find the yellow key. There is a door that is barred by red stuff, but even after finding the two keys, I cannot access it.

2) I'm in map 06, at the exit. But going into it kills me. What's supposed to happen ?

Edited by Mangudai

1) I'm assuming you mean the door to the left side of the courtyard. That's locked from the other side. You have to go through the door on the right side of the courtyard to progress towards the yellow key.

2) That's a death exit. Wait a few seconds and the level will end.

Just a heads up that playing with ambient occlusion on messes with the nice fading affect you had on the rooftop level. Might want to put a note somewhere to recommend people like me turn it off.

Anyways I'm playing through it now and it's really friggin fun. At the HMP skill & continuous play it's right at the point where it's consistently hard but I'm always given enough health + ammo to bounce back. Really awesome stuff, and the theming is spectacular.

Posted (edited)

1) I had to check on youtube why I was having difficulties finding the key: I wasn't interested into getting the weapon in the center with the 4 pillars, but you're supposed to make that ambush happen to make the stairs appear. 

2) Understood.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Mangudai

Played 5 maps so far after checking Cacowards and this is great stuff!

The maps so far have been really fun, combining intense action moments, common to more modern wads, with exploration and clever progression.

All the levels also have a strong identity, making me want to play more :D

Finally got around to playing this. Nice work! Lots of fun and interesting encounters in there.