Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Isolation

PSX DOOM Megawad: Fall of Triton Remake - TRITON II

I have been sleeping on Triton way too long and this is good fun so far! I get this strange bug with smooth doom that prevents weapon selecting. How can I fix this?

screenshots look lovely! the colored lighting is a really nice effect, particularly those shots were it's a subtle yellow-ish tone

cool ! but may ask to make a version compatible with smooth doom? it would be really great!

9 hours ago, elden4 said:

cool ! but may ask to make a version compatible with smooth doom? it would be really great!

That would mean taking out all the PSX content from the wad/pk3 which defeats the purpose of this entirely. But, if you're that desperate, you can go right ahead and remove the content yourself when you download it.

Fall of Triton is all about maintaining that feel of PSX Doom.

11 hours ago, elden4 said:

I just loaded a mod after this and it worked fine. There's no dehacked work here so any mod you load after this should properly overwrite anything it needs to. Keys will be a problem if you overwrite them though so if the mod you're playing replaces the keys you'll have to open Triton and delete LOCKDEFS.

Stayed up way too late last night playing the first couple of maps. I honestly don't remember much about the specifics of the first Triton (just because it was a while ago, and it was so long that everything kind of bleeds together) but I didn't remember MAP02 being so dang sprawling. I assume that's Beewen at work? :D Tons of fun regardless! Not sure I'm a fan of having player speed dependent on health (at one point, I was weakened enough that I couldn't straferun across to a medkit) but it does give the WAD a nice uniqueness. Looking foward to the rest!

Friends, I am pleased to bring fresh food to people playing the Doom in the form of new projects. I hope this debut step in the UDMF will not be the last.

So, I got to map07 in 1 hour. These are some massive levels. My criticism with the original version not having enough action is null and void now. After the first 2 levels the monsters populate. I couldn't figure out map02. After getting the blue key I never found the yellow key and eventually just skipped the map. I had about 200/300 monsters dead.

I like it overall. It's a bit too explorish for my taste but I dig it all the same. I'll chime in once I finish this beast.

3 minutes ago, Bryan T said:

So, I got to map07 in 1 hour. These are some massive levels. My criticism with the original version not having enough action is null and void now. After the first 2 levels the monsters populate. I couldn't figure out map02. After getting the blue key I never found the yellow key and eventually just skipped the map. I had about 200/300 monsters dead.

I like it overall. It's a bit too explorish for my taste but I dig it all the same. I'll chime in once I finish this beast.

The yellow key in Triton Bay should be in the same area as the original; beyond the blue door, beyond the maze, down the slime river, in a small room with hitscanners on both sides.

I ran into 2 problems on map12. There's a switch behind a teleporter that lowers the lift to the blue key. I couldn't press the switch without noclipping past the teleporter. Also, when I killed the cyberdemon that lowers from the ceiling, I dropped down to grab the megasphere he was hiding and I couldn't get out of the pit.

I will try to load smooth doom and see what happen , i tried with smooth doom psx version but the result is not the best 

I played the first four missions of that beauty and I must admit: That's an incredible remake! I immediatey got hooked to it although I'm in the middle of testing Tango's mod right now. I already liked the idea of the first Triton, but this one made a golden swan out of it. I can't await to explore the rest of it later... a big thanks to RockHardGamer45 and BeeWen for a freshly new brewed episode in PSX style.

The custom LOCKDEFS causes locked doors to not show up on the map. Meaning, a red key locked door doesn't show up as a red line as is usual for my setup. I don't know how important something like that is to you, I fixed it on my end. You can keep the scaled down keys by using 'Species RedCard' in the redcard definition and so on with the others and then you won't have to edit the locks.

I don't know if it's just me, but I'm constantly running out of ammo. 

Welp, I made it to map18 and I can't go on. The amount of time spent chainsawing stuff has killed this for me.

Edited by Bryan T

23 hours ago, Bryan T said:

I ran into 2 problems on map12. There's a switch behind a teleporter that lowers the lift to the blue key. I couldn't press the switch without noclipping past the teleporter. Also, when I killed the cyberdemon that lowers from the ceiling, I dropped down to grab the megasphere he was hiding and I couldn't get out of the pit.

I don't know if it's just me, but I'm constantly running out of ammo. 

In the latest fresh version, this problem in the exit from the pit was solved. The link in the old topic is in my last post .. I hope the topic author fixes this.

I might try this remake...

EDIT: @RockHardGamer 45. It also works in Zandronum with no issues so far. Gonna record a couple of videos, and hopefully, the whole set.

Edited by leodoom85

Hi, really enjoying this Wad. I'm currently on Map 07 Advanced testing lab and don't want to finish the map until I grab the BFG but can't work out how, anyone know how? Thanks.

946035433_gzdoom2020-01-0515-49-22.jpg.d48d6e5f090e4948fd85b31b618d23ed.jpg

1 hour ago, 6DB said:

Hi, really enjoying this Wad. I'm currently on Map 07 Advanced testing lab and don't want to finish the map until I grab the BFG but can't work out how, anyone know how? Thanks.

946035433_gzdoom2020-01-0515-49-22.jpg.d48d6e5f090e4948fd85b31b618d23ed.jpg

If I remember it correctly :  Yes, that's it There is a room very near to that, where two crushers drop out of the ceiling (you have to collect the yellow key first to activate a door which then reveals that crusher sector...between those crushers is a switch and that one lowers the BFG pillar...But better be quick, it's shortly timed. 

Edited by 4everDoomed

Did a video. Looks more polished and I'm glad that the lift issue was fixed. Looks like the thumbnail is still in process.....sigh.

45 minutes ago, 4everDoomed said:

If I remember it correctly :  Yes, that's it There is a room very near to that, where two crushers drop out of the ceiling (you have to collect the yellow key first to activate a door which then reveals that crusher sector...between those crushers is a switch and that one lowers the BFG pillar...But better be quick, it's shortly timed. 

Thanks, I found the switch, can't believe I missed it.

I love the coloured lighting in this Wad, my first time playing Doom was on the Playstation back in the day but I can't remember it it was so long ago. I hope people don't mind me posting a few snaps...

1050334963_gzdoom2020-01-0416-01-43.jpg.56d6982176b57d26fa6fbfa0ea6bb3cc.jpg

1570864646_gzdoom2020-01-0416-24-09.jpg.00dcca6abe74b08f78322ba97437d3da.jpg

908728577_gzdoom2020-01-0416-38-24.jpg.6818c5cf506c318398c5bc703692611d.jpg

1317419700_gzdoom2020-01-0515-38-04.jpg.35a45c07a07fe8c6ea5500b2c8a7af67.jpg

30 minutes ago, 6DB said:

Thanks, I found the switch, can't believe I missed it.

It happens. By the way, did you find the secret exit to Triton Plant? There is a red key....LOL. Took me a while until I found out how to reach that damn thing. I almost thought it was a botched linedef....:D

9 minutes ago, 4everDoomed said:

It happens. Did you find the secret map Triton Plant? There is a red key....LOL. Took me a while until I found out how to reach that damn thing. I almost thought it was a botched linedef....:D

No, no I didn't, I'm crap at finding secrets and now I'm stuck again on Map 8 Anomaly...

Spoiler

1265768072_gzdoom2020-01-0518-59-36.jpg.34fa9a97f0a840100408afe971dc2823.jpg

That pillar with the arrow doesn't seem to do anything.

24 minutes ago, 6DB said:

No, no I didn't, I'm crap at finding secrets and now I'm stuck again on Map 8 Anomaly...

Hide contents

1265768072_gzdoom2020-01-0518-59-36.jpg.34fa9a97f0a840100408afe971dc2823.jpg

That pillar with the arrow doesn't seem to do anything.

LOL !!

Check out the right side, there's a switch hidden in one of those dark "cages". It lowers the pillar and you can travel to your next problem, haha ;-)))

Try to be patient and look in every corner. Those maps are definitely not made to be rushed through, at least not the first time. As soon as you're stuck, think logically. There's always a way out. 

Edited by 4everDoomed

4 minutes ago, 4everDoomed said:

LOL !!

Check out the right side, there's a switch hidden in one of those dark "cages". It lowers the pillar and you can travel to your next problem, haha ;-)))

Thanks again.

*Note to self, look harder for hidden switches

When I play fullscreen (no HUD) and switch to the automap, the HUD there is just all black. This in widescreen mode, FYI.

Edited by Salt-Man Z

Map "Crying Fears"... The Spider Mastermind gets trapped in that teleport destination. Was that done intentionally?

Whether or not, good for Doomguy at that point... still it's odd. Would be nicer if it could step out of there and pester you in the next sector as well. 

case closed 

Edited by 4everDoomed

On 1/4/2020 at 6:31 PM, Bryan T said:

The custom LOCKDEFS causes locked doors to not show up on the map. Meaning, a red key locked door doesn't show up as a red line as is usual for my setup. I don't know how important something like that is to you, I fixed it on my end. You can keep the scaled down keys by using 'Species RedCard' in the redcard definition and so on with the others and then you won't have to edit the locks.

Could you share your fixed version of the Wad? I'm finding the automap to be pretty useless as I don't know where the key doors are and other parts of the map aren't colour coded. Perhaps @RockHardGamer 45 could fix the automap and update the Wad?

It's only a beauty flaw in the 22nd map, "The Lost Temple" (the central room that you enter from the starting point). These candlesticks are placed too close to the walls and mess up the skull textures. The other side of that room looks fine. Just mentioning in case for planning another update ;-)

jk.jpg.552112ff133d30759621330b6b1b4e9e.jpg

Map 23 "Worship" : The switch that lowers the pillar with the yellow keycard on top of it can be hit multiple times,- which ends up in a bug.

The pillar lowers probably indefinitely and causes sort of a hole in the map. You fall in and leave the map that way. 

That's how it looks like after hitting the switch once :

hz.png.a989544dbcd933a14d6607e37ff0bed1.png

Here's the same spot after hitting the switch two or three times...the pillar disappears and if you step on that area...

hh.png.5216dd8114e7f191b1a87ba48f01dca2.png

Doomguy has left the building. XD

tg.png.2613aa6e2e2bff453be23816c2209fdf.png