Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Isolation

PSX DOOM Megawad: Fall of Triton Remake - TRITON II

I finished this awesome Megawad today!

It took me approximately 30 hours to reach the end and I don't regret any minute of it. I was able to collect roughly 78% of all secrets, cleared out 82% of all demonic presence and found access to 7 bonus maps without cheating. (I once got badly stuck somewhere, used a noclip to get to the exit and was so pissed about that, that I replayed the map properly the day after,- turned out it was a damn candle hiding a switch behind) 

I chose HNTR to get used to the maps and there's already a lot of action on that difficulty. It wouldn't be a shame by starting on wimpy, I suppose. I'll definitely try another round on UV later, but pistol starts seem to be quite impossible on that level if you intend to go for 100% kills.  

For me personally, it’s a perfectly made wad regarding gameplay, ambience and exploring. The Triton campaign never got boring or lacked of originality.

The introduction of Duke of Hell adds a nice spicy flavour as well and makes combats more exciting, especially in the later half of the campaign. Use crushers, provoke infights and get rid of Arch-Viles ASAP or you'll run out of ammo too quickly.  

All in all, it's really a beautiful recreation of @RockHardGamer 45's Triton and every PSX DOOM and DOOM64 lover should give that one a try. I'm going to nominate @BeeWen's remake for the Cacowards'20. Hopefully, more will like it the way I do. 

On the other hand:

I wouldn’t recommend this wad though for still less experienced players that either :

-          never played DOOM before

-          have always a bad sense for orientation and memory in level layouts

-          barely recognize any details that might be important for the missions progress

If you don’t know how the classic DOOM episodes work with all their hidden (also timed) switches, lifts, pathways, „what-does-happen-if-scenarios“, possible connections to a completely different room etc.- they’ll probably wander around in those Triton maps eternally.

Here's not only shooting...but thinking !

Cheers!

4everDoomed

Very grateful for the great answer. Small flaws will be removed in the final version of the project. Most cards have more than one way to play, I tried to make them more than once.
I myself was interested in building it and looking at the result.

Do you think you can remove the "health determines player speed" mechanic or at least have a version of this remaster without it? I'm not a fan of CoD style gameplay in a game where it's all about running and gunning.

5 hours ago, Impboy4 said:

Do you think you can remove the "health determines player speed" mechanic or at least have a version of this remaster without it? I'm not a fan of CoD style gameplay in a game where it's all about running and gunning.

To remove running loss you need to open the "decorate" file and delete the line Player.runhealth 50 in the player’s properties.

4 hours ago, BeeWen said:

To remove running loss you need to open the "decorate" file and delete the line Player.runhealth 50 in the player’s properties.

You realize not everyone will do this and want you to remove it cuz you're the author.

I have to be really honest - the original FoT didn't have this. Don't fix what ain't broken.

EDIT: Don't take this the wrong way, I greatly appreciate the fact you made FoT more expanded here.

Edited by Impboy4

I'm not a fan, but I always maintain it's the WADmaker's prerogative to do what they want to achieve their vision, and I don't believe in altering their work to fit my own preferences.

5 hours ago, Salt-Man Z said:

I'm not a fan, but I always maintain it's the WADmaker's prerogative to do what they want to achieve their vision, and I don't believe in altering their work to fit my own preferences.

I also respect that.

But there could be a compromise. I'd probably try to include an option that allows you to turn "realism mode" on/off or something like that. 

21 hours ago, 4everDoomed said:

It didn't bother me that much, but I don't necessarily need such effects either. I'm interested how other players think about that topic, so I created a poll

The idea of slowing down when losing health should provide another plane in the game range. Closer to realism, but it was supposed that there would be a problem with speedrunners. But there is a way out to play better.

4 minutes ago, 4everDoomed said:

I also respect that.

But there could be a compromise. I'd probably try to include an option that allows you to turn "realism mode" on/off or something like that. 

For the "regime of realism" you need a more detailed gradation of damage 100, 75, 50, 25, 10, 5 The result is already a simulator.

...why is it that whenever I play a map in this wad does my run/walk speed suddenly slow down to a crawl at random (without me hitting run/walk toggle or switching any kind of options which affects such)...?

Edited by Khaoscythe

7 hours ago, Khaoscythe said:

...why is it that whenever I play a map in this wad does my run/walk speed suddenly slow down to a crawl at random (without me hitting run/walk toggle or switching any kind of options which affects such)...?

Does this happen when your health is less than 50?

What if there was a Triton III and the health feature is used on the monsters instead? Sounds fun with fast pinkies

10 hours ago, 4everDoomed said:

Yes. Simply read a couple of entries above yours ;-)

Oof, guess I'll avoid this mapset then. Was never a fan of speed limitations in any game I play. ^^

Alright, so, I am gonna post my own two cents regarding this mapset. I can only speak on the first two maps, as these were the only ones I could play before I could not stand anymore. I played this on HMP, casually, like I would any mapset. I have to say at that difficulty, this one tested my patience in several ways, mostly in Map 2. I can usually tell a headache mapset if it has infuriating design like Map 2.

My gripes:

-cheap enemy placement

-lack of ammo to deal with the enemy types

-enemy types like mancubi and arachnos so early on

-maps being so large and unnavigable

I cannot in good faith recommend any causal player to this mapset if you are expecting this to be any like the original. Which is a shame, as I LIKED the original for its pacing and being more akin to something sane.

Edited by warman2012

whats better than the original: smaller download. (140mb vs 230mb).

whats worse than the original: everything else.

Edited by roboticmehdi2

Played MAP01 and MAP02 so far - both of which were quite good and made me want to play more. But...

PLEASE! Fix the hud (to eliminate the black bar) and, more importantly, remove the speed nerf when below 50% HP! The hud is a minor but unnecessary inconvenience, whereas the speed nerf just completely destroys the flow of Doom. Plus, how is the player ever meant to complete any potential run-jumps when they are restricted to walking pace? Not to mention, it makes the rest of the dodging of projectiles and general combat patterns redundant. I don't see how that could be fun. I know I could just go and follow others' advice and edit the DECORATE file, but I don't want more people to have to have their experience with this mapset ruined by this unnecessary mechanic.

Please make a quick update on this, it could make all the difference.

Here you go with the in-progress gameplay if anyone here wants to watch my raging and casual way to play. And yes, the 50-HP cap for the player to lower the speed is nothing more than a serious annoyance. Situations like dodging a homing projectile or to hide after that an archvile spit flames at you will be considered as a free hit to the player...which is cheap as fuck. Sorry but that shit needs to be gone in a future update (it's easy to do it anyway. Just need to delete that player speed cap line from the decorate but there's one little issue...saves will have no effect after the change was done.)

Anyway...here's the in-progress playthrough: 

The finale is at hand and mapset is done....comments are at the credits part of video. Aside of all the flaws, I give this set a 7/10.

I defended the "lose speed below 50%" thing earlier, but now I'm sorry to say it's total bullshit. I'm on MAP13 and have hit so many spots where putting me under 50% health (mostly due to cheap chaingunners or spiders) resulted in being unable to progress because of the platforming involved. I'm also constantly running out of ammo now, but I can (hopefully) fix that by switching to HMP. I can't fix not being fast enough for mandatory platforming, though, so I guess I officially give up on this WAD.

Sorry I just kinda stumbled over this release. But I am so impressed by that meagawad that I still wanted to put something up here.

Great work on the details, large maps, (very) gorgeus architecture... and levels that can be  explored in many ways. The way the light works here is fantastic. I admire especially those areas where the walls with blending colors, giving the wad (kind of) a Doom64 feel. Same goes for level design. Some maps are in comparsion pretty tricky and some switches and keys are not easy to find... just like in Doom64 again. And so many details and gorgeous visuals. Great work!

And yes I also did not like the speed-loss-below-50% because it causes havoc in many areas, often leaving the player in (platform) situations that can not be solved if there is no health pack left to be found. However This issue can be fixed with an editor... ( And I still would recommend to have a version without that option, or having a switch for that in the main menu :)

And yes ammo... is sometimes IMHO WAY to tight. One has to rely on infighting a lot an/or excessive use of the chainsaw if possible. That can be fun at times... but it also can be very annoying at times.

This is my personal favourite Meagawad since the "Struggle"-Megawad by Antares.

Kind regards and thanks a lot for this awesome release.

Edited by kyo

(Accidentally double posted due to DW slowing down)

Edited by Catpho

Hi, sorry for the bump. BeeWen posted an updated version of the wad on Doom Power here a while ago, so maybe @RHG 45 can update the link? It notably changes the 50% HP speed penalty, with movement speed now only slowed when reaching below 20% instead. Not a complete removal, but still more lenient.

Btw, a question for @BeeWen: is this wad balanced for pistol start on UV? Or is it meant to be played continuously/with carry-overs? Starting from MAP13 monsters start vastly outnumbering the amount of ammo you have, making for a very grindy experience, so it made me curious.

On 1/5/2020 at 8:30 PM, 6DB said:

Thanks, I found the switch, can't believe I missed it.

I love the coloured lighting in this Wad, my first time playing Doom was on the Playstation back in the day but I can't remember it it was so long ago. I hope people don't mind me posting a few snaps...

What's with the CRT filter? Can it be enabled somehow?

On 1/5/2020 at 8:30 PM, 6DB said:

Thanks, I found the switch, can't believe I missed it.

I love the coloured lighting in this Wad, my first time playing Doom was on the Playstation back in the day but I can't remember it it was so long ago. I hope people don't mind me posting a few snaps...

On 2/7/2021 at 12:32 PM, Samuel Slayer said:

I use Reshade to add a CRT filter amount other filters I use.

Hi all

I just thought about a new project, it is to make compatible Fall Of Trion, Fall Of Trion 2 and more are extension "The Vortex Catastrophe" on the mod PSX DOOM CE created by molecicco, a version which greatly improves PSX DOOM
and which makes the game even better than the original version !

if you want more info on the PSX DOOM CE mod it's here !

https://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-ce

the project i will call PSX DOOM CE FALL OF TRITON EDITION 

958648868_DOOMPSX.png.713a279c889150207f26c78f914d4828.png

what does this version contain ?

-there will be the two Fall Of Triton megawads, Fall Of Triton 2, and are The Vortex Catastrophe expansion merge into one game, and fully compatible with PSX DOOM CE, you can choose the new episodes in the episodes selection.

-over 92 new maps for PSX DOOM fully compatible with PSX DOOM CE.

-50% health speed penalty on Fall Of Triton 2 will be deleted.

-texture bugs will be fixed on some maps compared to the original version, and daemon placement bugs will be fixed on some maps.

-Imp Nightmare will be improved compare the original version

-the music will be replaced by Doom Playstation: Official Soundtrack - 20th Anniversary Extended Edition, and Final Doom Playstation: Official Soundtrack - 20th Anniversary Extended Edition, to have a better quality and better atmosphere of PSX DOOM.

that will be all I can not wait to start the project, but the project will start when Molecicco has released version 2.0.0 of PSX DOOM CE and I can start!

best regards to all !

styd051

Edited by styd051