Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DutchDoomer

Crispy Doom how to get x64bit version?

hmm i didnt know where to post this so i guess ill do it here ;p

my question is how do i get the crispy doom x64 bit version?

cause when i go here  https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom
when u scroll down to download it ,it says this

(Binaries for Windows XP / Vista / 7 / 8.1 / 10 (both x86 and x64 editions) are available here: https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom/releases/download/crispy-doom-5.6.3/crispy-doom-5.6.3-win32.zip)

which is not true cause when i download it ,it just 1 binary and the file is called win32 at the end thats clearly x86 version and theres only 1 exe and stuff inside the zip so its just 1 binary where is the x64version then?

i tried googling it but it keeps bringing me to this file...

any help would be awesome

The 32-bit binary runs on all 32- and 64-bit systems. What advantages do you expect from using a 64-bit binary?

22 hours ago, fabian said:

The 32-bit binary runs on all 32- and 64-bit systems. What advantages do you expect from using a 64-bit binary?

Idk im using 64bit so i thought i needed that..also usually games etc if you have 64 bit windows its best to use 64 bit exe it gives better performance,but i guess thats not the case with crispy,all tho title is misleading tho its says both binaries but theres only 1 lol its cool tho ill try it...

You are right, this sentence on the project page is misleading. I have changed it to something less ambigious. Thanks!

On 1/6/2020 at 5:15 PM, fabian said:

Better performance, maybe? Especially for software rendering the added registers are quite beneficial.

There's also the little known fact that 32 bit is slowly but certainly going extinct.

Edit: Inspired by @chungy's post below, I had another crack at building 64 bit versions of both crispy and chocolate doom. I reinstalled the SDL2 mixer and net packages this time, I think I must have cocked up the original install. Total success this time!

So you've got a couple of options, download the 64 bit binaries chungy generously provided or build from source.

[removed my failed 64 bit stuff]

Edited by tmorrow

Chocolate and Crispy should build fine as a 64-bit Windows executable, but neither engine is really demanding features that should make appreciable difference in performance between the two. 32-bit binaries work fine on 64-bit Windows and that's why they're only built as such.

If you really want to try both of them, I've built the same commit as both kinds of binaries: https://chungy.keybase.pub/crispy-doom/

(No, it won't be updated regularly or perhaps at all, I'm just posting so you might test it)