Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CrazyDoomguy

ZBoom Community

ZBoom Community

This project is designed to inspire the largest possible number of mappers to share their creativity. Each participant can create a map for the project and publish it here before December 31, 2020. You may be an experienced mapper or a novice, no one will be rejected. After the deadline all maps will be compiled in one or more wads and published on /idgames archive.

Rules:

1. Anyone can join, anytime before the deadline. Deadline is 31.12.2020
2. No quality control, but maps must at least be playable and exitable, and abusive / malicious maps would be rejected. But be aware that many players dont like extremely hard maps
3. Each participant can create more than 1 map - maximum 5 maps. If all of your maps are good and have many likes (over 5 likes), you get extra +2 maps.
4. Maps must be boom compatible

5. All theme, size, quality and gameplay are acceptible (no troll, boring (example (Link)) or copy paste rooms maps. I will check it).

6. All skies are the same. But you can change sky with the tag "271". Look example like death in excess

7. All texture from there: Texture.

8. You can have custom texture for skyies. Call skyies your Acc name and number - example CRAZYD01 (max 8 words). Shorter name example GEZ - GEZ00001

9. New music is allowed (except MP3, OGG).

10. Skill setting und co-op play is mandatory

11. Chainsaw is a infinite BFG. If you use this waepon, please use death exit. 

Spoiler

Death exit:

Player teleport on second player 1 and die. Under second player is linedef tag 52 - W1 exit level.

image.png.ac8e4c7c21928a346180ff63695737d9.png  

If you want use infinite BFG and shotgun, make that player take shotgun on first and later infinite BFG. That avoid bug.

- Don't use the MAP07 or MAP30 slots for your map and don't use secret exit line actions.

If you want create MAP 15, 30, 31 - inform. 

Map 15: with 1 secret exit

Map 30: 1 romeo head

Map 31: with 1 secret exit

- Don't replace original resources from doom2.wad

There is providing WAD for creating maps (Sky and infinite BFG) Download

Published map requires the description of the following items:

Spoiler

Author:

Map name:

Playtesting: (ports used and their versions)

Skill settings:

Build time:

Tools used:

Music track:

Comments:

Interested mappers

Spoiler

Ninehills42

obake

Walter Confetti

Sasha

Arbys550

Maps

Spoiler

Edited by CrazyDoomguy

But... Aren't existing already 2 projects with the same premises?

Sorry for breaking the party, dude, but you could try to do something different? Try something new or unusual, like mono-thematic megawads similar to Oops! All techbase or the map packs from Doomer Boards Project, you could try some new or not really used limitations, like the 95 challenge thing or some other thing...  

18 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

But... Aren't existing already 2 projects with the same premises?

Sorry for breaking the party, dude, but you could try to do something different? Try something new or unusual, like mono-thematic megawads similar to Oops! All techbase or the map packs from Doomer Boards Project, you could try some new or not really used limitations, like the 95 challenge thing or some other thing...  

I just wanted any project without map limitation. Its hapen that I create new map on march, later on may I got new idea but I cant combine this new idea with the exist map. It would too big and looks bad like a mix swamp with hell style. That because I wanted something new "no map limit". Never seen such project.

Is these rules to much limited or more conservative? What is mono-thematic?

Just now, CrazyDoomguy said:

Its hapen that I create new map on march, later on may I got new idea but I cant combine this new idea with the exist map. It would too big and looks bad like a mix swamp with hell style.

You don't need to make a megawad project just to release your maps. You can just release them as single maps.

Also, you don't need to combine your new idea with your old map, you can just make a new map with your new idea. Don't make things more complicated. Make two maps, release them as single maps, it's really simple. =D

1 hour ago, CrazyDoomguy said:

What is mono-thematic?

having a single dominating theme

In those CPs' cases, they are wads that revolve around a single theme.

12 hours ago, CrazyDoomguy said:

I just wanted any project without map limitation.

Ok, I see, that's really good and actually a interesting concept but you should change some minor things to make it more fruible to other people:

• Change the title of the project, there's already a doomworld mega project (or doomworld omega project, by that matter), don't make things more complicated than already it is! You can could call it "an explosion of creativity" or "crazy doomguy community repository" or anything else you want, just change the title.
  • Authors have to do one map / mapset at time, or you'll find yourself with one man megawads. Also the number of the maps needs a little limitations, remember that you are making a Boom megawad, and more than 32 maps aren't possible to put, if not without dehacked tricks or UMAPINFO. Maybe  8/10 maps per mapset is the extreme limit for this kind of project, as you stated in rule 2.
  • Talking about rules, I think rule 8 (all textures accepted) will need a drastic change on how it's done. You can do things in 2 ways: use a universal texture pack for everybody (otex, cc4, retres etc.) or you should give a limit to the texture used, like for example max 30 textures including flats, and to use a prefix for every new texture (for example WA-).
    Spoiler

Also textures that have multiple patches are a problem to compile when the wad is finished, so is better use a single patch for every new texture...

Never seen such project.

Expect this one, maybe. Or also the Nanowadmo challenge by that matter. In your defense, the rules about map limit for mapsets is more understandable and you let mappers to do easier maps than that other project, right?

Its hapen that I create new map on march, later on may I got new idea but I cant combine this new idea with the exist map. It would too big and looks bad like a mix swamp with hell style.

Uhm, seconding @Tribal with his explanation about not combining new ideas, old maps, whatever are you trying to say here. Don't make things more complicated than it is, thanks.

Is these rules to much limited or more conservative?

No, not at all! Rules are perfect, just need to change few things as I wrote above.

1. What do you think about a title name "ZBoom community"?

I searched two days any information to make boom over 32 level. It possible make boom until level 35 with title music (example DMP2017 or thread Link) but it strange if this music runs on start menu. Over level 35 boom will get error "S_ChangeMusic: Bad Music" and you cant play. 

But I wanted that boom can make demos and levels can runs over 35. Boom players can create demos for highter level with command line paramater -warp 36, 37, 38 etc and -nomusic. For just playing and relax with music over 32 levels need use Zdoom.

This is why I want call this Project "ZBoom community" :)

2. If this idea "ZBoom" sounds good, then maximal 2 maps each author. If these 2 maps get 5 or more likes, you can make extra +2 map :)

If this idea bad, then 2 maps each author. There are 16 author (16*2=32 maps). If someone want create just 1 map, inform please. You can make free slot for other author.

3. Rule about texture: All from there https://realm667.com/index.php/en/texture-stock-mainmenu-152-97360/doom-style-mainmenu-153-87237

Ok, thanks for the answer!

13 hours ago, CrazyDoomguy said:

1. What do you think about a title name "ZBoom community"?

Nice title! I like it!

2. If this idea "ZBoom" sounds good, then maximal 2 maps each author. If these 2 maps get 5 or more likes, you can make extra +2 map :)

If this idea bad, then 2 maps each author. There are 16 author (16*2=32 maps). If someone want create just 1 map, inform please. You can make free slot for other author.

Good, but you can also make more than 1 megawad as i wrote some day ago, isn't it a good idea?

So, texture are taken from there? Good!

Edited by Walter confetti

maximal 2 maps each author. If these 2 maps get 5 or more likes, you can make extra +2 map :)

If this idea bad, then 2 maps each author. There are 16 author (16*2=32 maps).

1 hour ago, Walter confetti said:

you can also make more than 1 megawad as i wrote some day ago, isn't it a good idea?

CrazyDoomguy, I agree with Walter. I don't think you should limit the number of mappers to 16 (or less), just to ensure that you don't have problems with music by exceeding the number of maps Boom can handle. You could remove the limit on maps and allow people to submit as many maps as they want (although you may want to impose some measure of quality control if you do that). Or you could increase the limit to something slightly higher, like 5 or 6 maps.

If you end up getting more than 32 maps, you could always take the 32 best maps/32 maps that tell the best story and make them your "ZBoom Community" megawad. Then you could take the remaining maps and release them as a separate megawad called something else, like "ZBoom Community: The Lost Levels" or "ZBoom Community Continued" or something like that.

On 1/6/2020 at 12:29 PM, CrazyDoomguy said:

10. Skill setting und co-op play is preferable

One more thing I would change: make coop starts mandatory, just so the whole wad can be played coop without problem.

Also, I certainly want to join this. Always good to see Boom specific projects!

Fixed rules on top post.

20 hours ago, Pegleg said:

CrazyDoomguy, I agree with Walter. I don't think you should limit the number of mappers to 16 (or less), just to ensure that you don't have problems with music by exceeding the number of maps Boom can handle. You could remove the limit on maps and allow people to submit as many maps as they want (although you may want to impose some measure of quality control if you do that). Or you could increase the limit to something slightly higher, like 5 or 6 maps.

If you end up getting more than 32 maps, you could always take the 32 best maps/32 maps that tell the best story and make them your "ZBoom Community" megawad. Then you could take the remaining maps and release them as a separate megawad called something else, like "ZBoom Community: The Lost Levels" or "ZBoom Community Continued" or something like that.

I'll think about it.

With 1 WAD you can save data size and players no need exit and join to other WAD. But boom cant hear music over 32 levels

With 2 WADs is more data size because of double textures and music and players need jump between two WADs. But for boom is good and they can hear music.

Exist a project with 2 or more WADs?

@obake, @Ninehills42 added into interested mappers

Edited by CrazyDoomguy

I literally thought upon reading the title that it was a new source port derived from ZDoom.

Which would make little sense since that is already Boom-compatible.

5 hours ago, CrazyDoomguy said:

By the top of my head:

10 sectors

Doom the way ID did 

Now rules are way better! Sign me in, i have some ideas for a thing...

Toyed around with the bdmp2020 wad, i found a empty MAP01, is that necessary? I have made a version without it this noon. Also contains that cool ALLBLACK texture for anyone wants to do some void sections, how charming!

Also find these weird bug  after deleting MAP01 when you shoot the infinite BFG (using prboom 2.5.6, the last version):

vEIkUDd.png

This happens when you take the shotgun after the infinite BFG and after you shoot that gun, shotgun is completely useless.

j9tRmVX.png

But the bug doesn't appear if you don't shoot the infinite BFG before taking the shotgun....

bXQWFll.png

To re-appear when you shoot it again! In short, this gun have a problem by messing with shotgun ammo, since it shares it with the infinite BFG somehow...

EDIT: It's a bug from that gun, from what i see... played now with your version and gave me the same problem... well, we just don't use them both in the same wad, i guess... i have to check one last thing and then we'll go!

EDIT 2: Ok, i've tested it with a test map made atm and.. it worked for both guns? Sure, the shells problem is still present, and if you cheat for having the guns the shotgun still not works but... yeah, it worked fine for both guns. That's weird.

20 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

By the top of my head:

10 sectors

Doom the way ID did 

Now rules are way better! Sign me in, i have some ideas for a thing...

Toyed around with the bdmp2020 wad, i found a empty MAP01, is that necessary? I have made a version without it this noon. Also contains that cool ALLBLACK texture for anyone wants to do some void sections, how charming!

Also find these weird bug  after deleting MAP01 when you shoot the infinite BFG (using prboom 2.5.6, the last version):

This happens when you take the shotgun after the infinite BFG and after you shoot that gun, shotgun is completely useless.

But the bug doesn't appear if you don't shoot the infinite BFG before taking the shotgun....

To re-appear when you shoot it again! In short, this gun have a problem by messing with shotgun ammo, since it shares it with the infinite BFG somehow...

EDIT: It's a bug from that gun, from what i see... played now with your version and gave me the same problem... well, we just don't use them both in the same wad, i guess... i have to check one last thing and then we'll go!

EDIT 2: Ok, i've tested it with a test map made atm and.. it worked for both guns? Sure, the shells problem is still present, and if you cheat for having the guns the shotgun still not works but... yeah, it worked fine for both guns. That's weird.

This problem is old: 

First time see this problem. On other WADs with infinite BFG have same bug. I try analyse and solve it

Edited by CrazyDoomguy

Unfortunely it dont work. I can make BFG infinite if I add ammo cost = 0 but this is on waepon 7 and 1. I cant make them separate.

I think, I need remove infinite BFG. Just place many cells

On 1/9/2020 at 10:08 PM, CrazyDoomguy said:

With 1 WAD you can save data size and players no need exit and join to other WAD. But boom cant hear music over 32 levels

With 2 WADs is more data size because of double textures and music and players need jump between two WADs. But for boom is good and they can hear music.

Another variant in the case of many maps: several wads contained only maps with relevant resources and one wad contained textures ...

On 1/9/2020 at 10:08 PM, CrazyDoomguy said:

Some DWMPs contain 2 or 3 wads.

On 1/11/2020 at 1:19 AM, CrazyDoomguy said:

Unfortunely it dont work. I can make BFG infinite if I add ammo cost = 0 but this is on waepon 7 and 1. I cant make them separate.

I think, I need remove infinite BFG. Just place many cells

Are the same problems are appeared in the case, for example, of infinite rocket launcher?

I not meet the problem with infinite BFG playing slaughterfest series (in zdoom) but only one map is imposible without this weapon.

I have ideas for a map for this project.

2 hours ago, Sasha said:

Are the same problems are appeared in the case, for example, of infinite rocket launcher?

Like the one used in Mayhem 2018 orange edition? I didn't recall any problem about using it in prboom, real problem is re-using it for this project, because authors may not use the source material for other projects! Better leave this idea of using a infinite ammo gun, I guess.

3 hours ago, Sasha said:

I not meet the problem with infinite BFG playing slaughterfest series (in zdoom) but only one map is imposible without this weapon.

Neither I, for this reason I was surprised to find that bug...

4 hours ago, Sasha said:

Another variant in the case of many maps: several wads contained only maps with relevant resources and one wad contained textures ...

Some DWMPs contain 2 or 3 wads.

I saw first time DMP2013 with 3 WADs. I think, this project can do this.

11 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

All right, i see that you removed the infinite BFG... but not the empty MAP01 lol...

I thought empty MAP01 can usefull. There no need go on first SLADE and later DoomBuilder. Or better if I delete this?

Better leave this idea of using a infinite ammo gun, I guess.

I can let infinite BFG but players need know, that no shotgun available. Also map without shotgun

I thought empty MAP01 can usefull. There no need go on first SLADE and later DoomBuilder. Or better if I delete this?

For me is better that you delete that, it just crash the wad.

I can let infinite BFG but players need know, that no shotgun available. Also map without shotgun

Yes, absolutely.

Also, if you want to bring back the infinite BFG gun, you have to put in the rules that anyone wants to use that gun have to use only THAT without any shotguns (as you wrote above) and also to put a death exit on the map they working.

Yesterday I made a little test map for testing out a thing I wanted to experiment with the infinite bfg gun and it worked in that way...

On 1/12/2020 at 4:28 PM, Walter confetti said:

For me is better that you delete that, it just crash the wad.

Yes, absolutely.

Also, if you want to bring back the infinite BFG gun, you have to put in the rules that anyone wants to use that gun have to use only THAT without any shotguns (as you wrote above) and also to put a death exit on the map they working.

Yesterday I made a little test map for testing out a thing I wanted to experiment with the infinite bfg gun and it worked in that way...

Sorry that I dont answered while time because I had exam

I have tested with sector effect "damage and end level - 11" too and on level 2 I see same bug with infinite bfg. How you did that this trick works?

Map "Bath". Who like aqua style? :)

image.png.4bcc64fc87a8f7d9aee8101a8e776413.png

Edited by CrazyDoomguy

2 hours ago, CrazyDoomguy said:

I have tested with sector effect "damage and end level - 11" too and on level 2 I see same bug with infinite bfg. How you did that this trick works?

You have to telefrag a voodoo doll near a W1 exit, like here: death exit test.zip

However, the map you're making looks pretty cool! Are you using gothic texture pack?

So just to clarify: We can use any new textures from realm667?

Also what is the point of the given template mod? Do we need to modify it for our map? Is it just for people who want the sky?

Edited by Arbys550

19 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

You have to telefrag a voodoo doll near a W1 exit, like here: death exit test.zip

However, the map you're making looks pretty cool! Are you using gothic texture pack?

This texture is in gothic pack and call aqua

This death exit works! Infinite BFG is back and added rule 11.

18 hours ago, Arbys550 said:

So just to clarify: We can use any new textures from realm667?

Also what is the point of the given template mod? Do we need to modify it for our map? Is it just for people who want the sky?

- All texture from realm667

- Just for people who want specific sky

Good! Cool to have find a way to fix out that bug!

Also, is good to understand that we can use all the textures from Realm667, I have an idea of what can I use… but first I have to complete other stuff I'm doing for doom maps...

I'm trying to get animated liquid falls in my map, but it seems all of the texture packs use an ANIMDEFS lump instead of an ANIMATED lump. ANIMDEFS isn't compatible with boom maps. I would make my own ANIMATED lump but It would probably cause problems when you merge all the textures into one wad, if other people make their own ANIMATED lump. When you go to merge everything, are you going to merge peoples ANIMATED lumps, or do we have to just not use liquid falls?

Also an alternative question: Has anyone found a texture pack on the website that uses ANIMATED for liquid falls?